(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published "Genocide to Genesis"

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

After reading Godmotive's post in the ghost thread about the afterlife, I'm curious to hear:

What kind of afterlife have you written/plan to write?
Have you read any novels with interesting afterlife theories/worlds?

As for myself, I've always considered 'What Dreams May Come' to be the most incredible afterlife novel I've ever read. I'm talking about the book, not the movie--there are differences. It seriously blew my mind the first time I read it.... although my copy mysteriously disappeared soon after. (That reminds me I need to go buy another copy.)

As for an afterlife I've written-- I had one in my fanfiction since my MC had more near-death experiences than a hundred men. That's no joke. I killed him off so many times, just to see how I could bring him back from the brink. One time, he even woke up in the middle of his own funeral, but that's going off-topic.

Anyway, there came a need for a limbo. I created a lakeside setting to start out with. Anyone who touched the lake's waters would grow forgetful. The depth of the lake depended on a person's willpower--they'd only sink if they didn't have the will to continue living. Now, those who sink come into the grasp of the Shinigami (Reapers) who are kinda like demon pirahna. These guys would tear into a person's soul, removing memories and the 'taint' of lingering life.

This lake is like a double-sided coin. Once you sink far enough, you start to rise on the other side. By the time you resurface on the other side of limbo, your soul has been purified by the reapers and you're ready to pass through a Gate of Reincarnation.

There's some more details in there specific to the fanfic, but that's the general idea.

Who's next?
g2g.jpg

Author of Genocide to Genesis

#2 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

Yes, I believe God just sort of slaps you around, throws you back in the cold grave and says, "see, I told you so!"

#3 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

OMG Ashley. Was this your question to the editor? I'm such an idiot.

#4 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published "Genocide to Genesis"

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:40 AM

LOL No, it was a general question for everyone in this group. :P
g2g.jpg

Author of Genocide to Genesis

#5 Godsmotive

Godsmotive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Writewinger: Solutions for the Politically Oblique - Booklocker.com
    God's Motive - Booklocker.com

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:44 PM

In my after(biological)life, we occupy our spot in the universe as the only "living" being or being with free will. When we die, we get a download of all the data from all the people who had ever lived and died. So when we create new lives to live within our universe, when we walk into a library and pick up a book we didn't read as a biological human, it isn't blank pages. The hardest part of designing an afterlife where the inhabitant is omnipotent is convincing the reader that you know things that you couldn't know otherwise. So one of the things I talk about is knowing the last thoughts of some famous people and making up a convincing tale based on what we do know about what they were doing when they died. Omnipotence is a great vehicle but you can get lost in it. Also since my character that inhabits this place is dead, it stands to reason that he isn't published in the world he died in but rather in one he created (making it easier to get an agent). So at the point where he dies, the readers change from those who bought the book and started reading it to facsimiles of people who are reading it now as he is writing it. The great thing about afterlife stories is that there are no limits. It is a place of certainties and absolutes. All the things we are told to avoid all our lives. Very liberating. I think the hardest part about this book INFINITY SQUARED is leaving the parts that are finished alone.

Phillip

#6 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's complicated...

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

The fantasy/paranormal novel I'm shopping now is the first in a planned series about the afterlife. I'm combining the afterlife mythology of just about every culture into a cohesive whole based on the premise that all of the myths are true. The main character is sort of a "chick lit" bar fly heroine type - she dies due to her own drunk driving after a night bar hopping with friends and then the series follows her on her journey. It's been really fun to write, especially in figuring out ways in which divergent beliefs could actually all be true and work together.

hereafter_cover_jpg_72_twitter.jpg

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy
Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page | Facebook Profile Page | Goodreads

#7 Cloe

Cloe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:50 PM

Anita is a friend of mine, and very sweet. Send her an email and mention "Cloe", and she'll probably help you out in any way that she can.

http://anitamoorjani.com/

#8 Cloe

Cloe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

I just spoke to Anita, and her book that comes out during March of next year, has already sold in the thousands, because of pre-orders through Amazon and book stores. So :cool:! She'll also be on the Ellen Degenerous show next year when her book is released. (can't wait to see her dance :laugh: )

She and her husband so deserve this success, as they've been through so much crap with the cancer.

#9 Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer

My Best Roaring is All on Paper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

I am getting ready to query my MS titled Heaven Help Me. The two secondary main characters are guardian angels. One of them is the newly departed sister, whose murder the two main characters are trying to solve. Naturally, the angels attempt to help.

It was a blast to write about angels and heaven, especially since I've written this book with lots of humor. The theories portrayed in the book about how angels and heaven work, however, I'm certain are far from the truth.

#10 Dr Anne

Dr Anne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 158 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories, articles, poems published in books, anthologies, magazines and online, in Australia.

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

Watch "Afterlife" the British series,if you can, amazing stuff.

Although I do not have a real belief in the afterlife (just curiosity), my best short stories, that have won prizes, concerned an angel, ghosts, (one of whom is the main character), or the process of passing through.
I must be weird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users