9 replies to this topic

#1 17218943

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:17 AM

Which one of the two book covers do you like better?

If you come across those covers, would you want to read more about the book?

Any suggestions to improve the covers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Files

#2 S. A. Hunt

S. A. Hunt

Brain Pudding

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace: 60,000+ downloads to date
    Won Reddit /r/Fantasy Best of 2014 Stabby Award
    Top 10 in Amazon Horror

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:00 AM

The second one, 150%.

#3 margotdarko

margotdarko

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

Yep, the second one for sure. "Becomes the antagonist" really falls flat though I think. 

#4 Michelle4Laughs

Michelle4Laughs

Walking on Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:BIRTH OF SAINTS trilogy(Harper Voyager): GRUDGING, FAITHFUL (Nov 15, 2016, Book 3 (Nov 2017). KINDAR'S CURE. Short stories in anthologies from EBP. Host of Query Kombat, Nightmare on Query Street, PB Party, Sun versus Snow.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

The second one. I really like that one with its suggestion of movement. I'd pick it off the shelf.

25815723.jpg  29242455.jpg  16415686.jpg   18159598.jpg  20957949.jpg   

Blog: It's in the Details
Twitter

#5 K.J. Harrowick

K.J. Harrowick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

I fourth 'the second one', hands down.  The font choices are much better here as well as the overall styling.

"Becomes the antagonist" really falls flat though I think. 

^This right here.  That last phrase really fails to convey any mystery or challenges of the main character stepping into this story.  Does the role change her as a person?  Does it take her on a journey that presents her with a heart-wrenching choice?  Maybe it's about a sacrifice she must make or becoming a savior of the story.

I think just a different word or phrase to replace 'antagonist' would really spice up that line and grab the reader's attention.

The only other recommendation I have is for the back cover.  Somewhere below the synopsis, maybe add a url for your book or author website, twitter page, etc.  This will help your readers and fans connect directly to you. :smile:

Nice work on the imagery though!!

hcrp_175.jpg

"It was ancient, with the whispers of a thousand memories etched on its walls and forgotten with the slow sands of time."
~Excerpt from Bloodflower

Secrets of Sgådnor: First 250 | Query | Hook

Bloodflower: *coming soon*

#6 17218943

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

I fourth 'the second one', hands down.  The font choices are much better here as well as the overall styling.

^This right here.  That last phrase really fails to convey any mystery or challenges of the main character stepping into this story.  Does the role change her as a person?  Does it take her on a journey that presents her with a heart-wrenching choice?  Maybe it's about a sacrifice she must make or becoming a savior of the story.

I think just a different word or phrase to replace 'antagonist' would really spice up that line and grab the reader's attention.

The only other recommendation I have is for the back cover.  Somewhere below the synopsis, maybe add a url for your book or author website, twitter page, etc.  This will help your readers and fans connect directly to you. :smile:

Nice work on the imagery though!!

Thank you so much for your suggestions.  I thought there's something about putting url on book covers.  I'll double-check into that, but I remember reading on amazon we're not allowed to incorporate a website address on a cover.

#7 K.J. Harrowick

K.J. Harrowick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

Thank you so much for your suggestions.  I thought there's something about putting url on book covers.  I'll double-check into that, but I remember reading on amazon we're not allowed to incorporate a website address on a cover.

Ooh... I'd definitely be interested to know about the url/amazon thing.  I have a client who self-publishes with amazon and uses her site url, twitter acct, and a QR code for mobiles.  Hers are on the back cover, and Amazon usually only shows the front... so I'm wondering if it's a front-cover deal.

Cheers! :smile:

hcrp_175.jpg

"It was ancient, with the whispers of a thousand memories etched on its walls and forgotten with the slow sands of time."
~Excerpt from Bloodflower

Secrets of Sgådnor: First 250 | Query | Hook

Bloodflower: *coming soon*

#8 17218943

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

Ooh... I'd definitely be interested to know about the url/amazon thing.  I have a client who self-publishes with amazon and uses her site url, twitter acct, and a QR code for mobiles.  Hers are on the back cover, and Amazon usually only shows the front... so I'm wondering if it's a front-cover deal.

Cheers! :smile:

I found a forum discussing that. It might be okay on book covers.

https://forums.creat...earch_type=SITE

#9 roxie

roxie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

The second one.  It's stunning.

#10 Dr Anne

Dr Anne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 198 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories, articles, poems published in books, anthologies, magazines and online, in Australia.

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:09 PM

The second one, but I like the 'dark' and 'light' contrast of the first. 

About the cover blurbs, the first one is too long and wordy. Also 'heaven' and 'hell' should be capitalised as they are proper nouns.

Could you call her the heroine, instead of the antagonist? I know it sounds old fashioned, but it gives more of an idea of who she is.

Sorry to be too critical, but I think the book's title is confusing and could be improved. 

Good luck.

Dr Anne.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users