5 replies to this topic

#1 ssecor44

ssecor44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Co writing with my brother whose self published novels have garnered him some great success. I am intrigued about the discovery and fulfillment that comes along with publishing a book.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

Here is a sample cover of our newly finished manuscript for Deadlocked: A Trial Beginning

Let us know what you think.

We are in the final stages of edits before submission of the query letter.

Attached Files

#2 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

I like it, although some of the thin lines of the title font make it harder to read, especially where it overlaps with the shoe. On the one hand, I like to two-tone title and subtitle because it keeps it from being too monotonous. On the other hand, they always kind of bug me because I'm always trying to find meaning in which letters are which color lol.

#3 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

I'm confused (even though I like the cover). If you're going to be querying agents, why do you need a cover? That's something that you won't have much (or any) control over if you go the trade publishing route. 

#4 17218943

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

Author's names can be in different font.  I recommend more space between the letters of the author names, although it's hard to do with two authors.

#5 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

Ditto what sharpegirl said - if you are querying you don't need a cover, as that will be determined in consultation with a publisher.

Or are you planning to query and self publish at the same time? Which is just a no, don't, it's pick one path or the other.

#6 S. A. Hunt

S. A. Hunt

Brain Pudding

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon Kindle, CreateSpace: 60,000+ downloads to date
    Won Reddit /r/Fantasy Best of 2014 Stabby Award
    Top 10 in Amazon Horror

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

Everybody's right - if you're querying, they're not even going to let you use this cover--they're going to have someone else make the cover for it. I hope you didn't spend money on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users