E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

I'm in the middle of a three-day free promotion. Next time, I think I will do it only for one day and see what happens.

I think signing up for Kindle Unlimited and going exclusive is already helping somewhat though. Only time will tell for sure though.

I'm not going to give exact numbers, but even though my book was only on Kindle Unlimited for a day before I did the free promotion, my sales numbers and my Kindle Unlimited numbers have both already gone up compared to what they were before I did all this.

And the free promotion is going good so far, too. :) I don't know how much it will boost my rank, but it's already going better than I expected it to.

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

#22 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

So thus far joining kindle unlimited and making my book exclusive has bumped my sales enough that the numbers have almost returned to what they were before kindle unlimited and it caught up this much in only a few days, too. So I think this is an experiment worth trying with your books if the sales have dropped as dramatically as mine had.

I'll write a blog post about it, too, once more time has passed.

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

#23 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

This is probably the most comprehensive post about Kindle Unlimited that we've read yet...

http://www.digitalpu...ndle-unlimited/

Personally, our recommendation for anyone who's strugling with whether to self-publish or not -- or whether to go Kindle Select/KU exclusive or not, should go in NOW and test the waters with any short stories that that might have hiding in their computer drawers... 

If you think you want to bail on the traditional route and go indie, but you feel lost -- go with Kindle Select/KU for the next three-months to earn some cash now and get your bearings on the process of how self-publishing works... you can always opt-out of Kindle Select/KU three months from now and go wider with your distribution.

Between now and Christmas, there is a high probability that each KOLL/KU borrow will continue to receive approximately $2.00 per borrow.  

That's easy money, folks.  Especially if you use some of the low-cost advertising sites offering eblast services to their mailing lists.  

#24 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

So here's the scoop.

If you are a BIG name indie chances are KU is canabolizing your sales in a big way. I was talking to a bestselling author at RWA and she said within the first 48 hours her book sales were down 5 fold. Not cool. She was willing to give the program a week, but she was not happy. (Can't blame her as she was making way more not in the program.)

BUT if you are, like it has been said here, not well-known, barely making it...then having something like your novella in there might help. A .99 cent book could be making $2 on a borrow in KU. And for the first month of the program they messed it up and paid ALL DOWNLOADS, not just those that were paid to 10%. So be careful with your first month numbers if you are thinking this is your new saviour.

And second, you can't take your books that are across all vendors, box set them, call them new content and place it in the KU program. I asked. :( Sorry. Would have been cool though, eh? So that's what I know. It's another tool that will work for some and not for others--just depends on where you are in your journey and how you utilize the tools.

When it comes right down to it, you have to work your butt off. That's what will set you apart. Look at the bestsellers. They work REALLY long weeks. Really freaking long weeks. So, yeah...that was my random comment of the day.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#25 Mallory

Mallory

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:16 PM

Awesome input, Jean!

“I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.”

-Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

https://twitter.com/croweink

#26 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

Great insights, Jean.

And for the first month of the program they messed it up and paid ALL DOWNLOADS, not just those that were paid to 10%. So be careful with your first month numbers if you are thinking this is your new saviour.

And yeah, it was kinda like stepping in front of a fire hose and being showered with money.  Don't expect it again, but don't regret being in the way of the spray.

#27 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

My word. Can I stand in front of that hose? Likely painful getting hit with all that money, but still. Way worth it.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

#28 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

Another thing about Kindle Unlimited is it's not being counted towards your ranking as much as I would like it to count.

This month, 100% of my sales have been Kindle Unlimited and I actually have more books in Kindle Unlimited being downloaded than I was selling regular books before. But my ranking is one of the worst it's ever been.

I think people are only seeing my paid book because of my free book

2urtog3.jpg

#29 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:12 PM

Bummer. :(

I've heard of some indies who are not in the program finding their sales suddenly tanked when the program went live. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out over time.

#30 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:03 AM

August Kindle Unlimited (KU)/Kindle Select free borrow (KNOLL) pay out will be $1.54 per book.  Down from July's payment of $1.80 per book.

People are buzzing about the fact that Amazon had to add $2.7 million to the $2 million Global Select fund just to keep the payment above $1.50.

We had an extremely high borrow number for one of our titles in August -- and know that we're not the only one with inflated August numbers and the factors for this range from KU being new and oversubscribed by hungry eager customers to a huge data dump of borrows into the August 1st borrow numbers that kept growing over the whole month (possibly a carryover of July numbers).

What is certain is that Amazon has been making algorithm shifts all month long -- the biggest one starting at the beginning of September, which is affecting borrow rates and title rankings in a way that you can only appreciate if you have a title in Kindle Unlimited and are watching everything shake out on a daily basis.  And now, you can no longer predict how much a title is making if they are in KU because there's absolutely no way to tell how many sales versus borrows they're receiving based on their ranking.  And no one has any idea what the payout per book will be per month.

Super wild ride and interesting times.  Lovin' it.

#31 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

We are hearing buzz about big name indie authors who were allowed to "try out" Kindle Unlimited with their books WITHOUT being forced into exclusivity like the rest of us small fish. In other words, Amazon allowed these successful indie authors to place their book in KU without requiring them to pull those same books off of Apple's ibooks and other retailers.

These are the crazy-successful indie brand name authors who have huge catalogs and are easily grossing high five figure to six figures per month through self-publishing (Yes, the really, really, really successful indie authors are making that much $$, folks).  Many of them are self-made New York Times and USA Today best-sellers who are using their popular book series within the romance, science fiction, and fantasy genres to achieve their stratospheric success.

Apparently, these authors have until the end of September to ride out their "trial period" -- after that, they have to decide whether to remain all in or all out of KU -- just like the rest of us.  

This is EXTREMELY interesting and it will be extremely interesting to see who pulls out and who stays in, and how that changes the total number of books enrolled as well as the final amount of future KU payouts.

#32 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:58 PM

I find so much of this fascinating.  On one hand, Amazon is basically engaging in unfair business practices to corner the market - but when publishers tried to gain control of pricing their products, they were the ones who lost the court case.

Now this exclusive lending library.

This, together with the growing gap between the Haves and Have Notes, the eroding middleclass, the income disparity.  It reminds me of the robber baron days.  Amazon is the new Standard Oil.

Interesting times indeed. 

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#33 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

September 2014 payout for each KU/KNOLL borrow will be $1.52.

Amazon added $2 million dollars to the already $3 million pot for the Global Select Fund that is shared by all participating authors, and which determines the amount per borrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users