#1 CFrances

CFrances

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have been published in Learning Through History magazine, two juried medical research journals, the MS edition of Stories of Healing, and my local newspaper.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

Has anyone had any experience with BookFish Books?

#2 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

It seems to be a very new press run by authors without any actual experience in publishing. There are only two books they have out and several of the books being published by them seem to be by the people running the press, which is usually a big red flag. I'd honestly be wary of going with any publisher who hasn't been in business for 3-5 years, at minimum.

Also a huge red flag, right on their front page: BookFish Books is not your average publishing house run by experts and editors. We're a house run by authors for authors and their readers.

This is not a good thing or a plus, even though they're touting it as. You WANT to be with a publishing house that is run by experts. Also, publishing houses are not run by editors, but you want an experienced editor working on your book. Authors are great at many things, but most of them are not qualified to run a publishing house. Copyright, Contracts, Rights, Marketing, Distribution, all of this stuff is REALLY detailed and you need experts to deal with them or you might end up signing away rights that your publisher has no ability or connections to even utilize. 

Also the fact that they have a submission form to try to garner people's interest in their published books makes me wonder if they do any marketing, are able to afford to print ARC's or pay to put digital ARC's up on netgalley or edeilweiss. It also looks like they're publishing their books digitally through Amazon (which you could do yourself and keep your royalties) and neither of the books they have out have very good sales rankings. 

I'd stay far away, personally. 

Edited to add: They seem to only publish YA and only digitally. This is not the best plan, since YA is still overwhelmingly bought in print, because a lot of the intended readership (teenagers) don't have e-readers or a credit card to buy ebooks. 

#3 CFrances

CFrances

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have been published in Learning Through History magazine, two juried medical research journals, the MS edition of Stories of Healing, and my local newspaper.

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

Thank you for your insight. I can't find them anywhere online except for their own site.

#4 ViviMont

ViviMont

Vanessa V.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:03 AM

Hi! Has there been any recent experience with Bookfish Books? I'm considering taking their offer. Any and all information is appreciated.

I hope I've been helpful in some way. If you have the chance, I'm currently looking for all the help I can get on my first 250 of Elementalist. Thanks so much and may the words be with you!

Look for me on twitter. :) @@AuthorVV_Mont

Beyond The North Star: First 250
Beyond The North Star: First 250 of 2nd Ch. (Different POV)

[topic='Beyond the North Star Query']http://agentquerycon...ar-revision-15/[/topic]

#5 shawnrohrbach

shawnrohrbach

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:9 books and 1 script produced. Newest novel coming out in September 2016 and next script to be produced now in pre-production. Please visit my web site www.shawnrohrbach.com for a complete writing vitae

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:02 PM

This!

It seems to be a very new press run by authors without any actual experience in publishing. There are only two books they have out and several of the books being published by them seem to be by the people running the press, which is usually a big red flag. I'd honestly be wary of going with any publisher who hasn't been in business for 3-5 years, at minimum.

Also a huge red flag, right on their front page: BookFish Books is not your average publishing house run by experts and editors. We're a house run by authors for authors and their readers.

This is not a good thing or a plus, even though they're touting it as. You WANT to be with a publishing house that is run by experts. Also, publishing houses are not run by editors, but you want an experienced editor working on your book. Authors are great at many things, but most of them are not qualified to run a publishing house. Copyright, Contracts, Rights, Marketing, Distribution, all of this stuff is REALLY detailed and you need experts to deal with them or you might end up signing away rights that your publisher has no ability or connections to even utilize. 

Also the fact that they have a submission form to try to garner people's interest in their published books makes me wonder if they do any marketing, are able to afford to print ARC's or pay to put digital ARC's up on netgalley or edeilweiss. It also looks like they're publishing their books digitally through Amazon (which you could do yourself and keep your royalties) and neither of the books they have out have very good sales rankings. 

I'd stay far away, personally. 

Edited to add: They seem to only publish YA and only digitally. This is not the best plan, since YA is still overwhelmingly bought in print, because a lot of the intended readership (teenagers) don't have e-readers or a credit card to buy ebooks. 

Shawn Rohrbach
www.shawnrohrbach.com

#6 ViviMont

ViviMont

Vanessa V.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:36 PM

This!

Thanks Shawn. I saw this in absolute write. I was hoping for something a bit more recent. They do a print on demand which doesn't bother me since most publishers use this process. 

I hope I've been helpful in some way. If you have the chance, I'm currently looking for all the help I can get on my first 250 of Elementalist. Thanks so much and may the words be with you!

[topic='Beyond the North Star Query']http://agentquerycon...ar-revision-15/[/topic]

#7 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 18 April 2016 - 03:59 PM

Here is what you need to understand about print-on-demand-- In general, bookstores are reluctant to carry POD books from publishers because they cannot return unsold copies. I know someone who published her first novel with a small POD press, and she has had a terrible time getting into any bookstores.

Most publishers use digital printing, which is essentially print-on-short-notice (no typesetting each time), but that is not the same as a POD press, where each book is printed after it's ordered. A traditional small press will have a print run in which they print up in advance anywhere from 500+ copies that are stored in warehouse(s) and distributed to bookstores via Ingrams or to libraries via Baker & Taylor. This means a bookstore can put in an order to ship say, 20-40 copies of your book for an event or book signing. After the event, the bookstore may opt to keep the book on their shelves for another 3-6 months, and if they don't sell any more copies, they will ship the books back to the warehouse for a refund or credit to their account (depends on the store's arrangement with the press and/or distributor).

With a straight POD press, the books are stored only as digital files, printed up one by one as they're ordered. Bookstores do not want to take the risk of ordering 20 POD books if they cannot return the unsold copies a few months later.

Just something to think about...

Jeanne

#8 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:54 PM

Jeanne makes a great point.

My publisher is relatively small, but they have a distributor and do short print runs (as described above) so some of our books have been picked up by Barnes & Noble as well as indie bookstores.  That is very different from print on demand.

Not that POD is terrible -- it works well for many self-published authors.  But you have to decide if that is what you want out of a publishing deal.

#9 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

Speaking as the owner of a small press, I agree that getting our POD books into bookstores has been difficult. It's really just the independent stores that are willing to even consider them.

#10 ViviMont

ViviMont

Vanessa V.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:24 AM

Thank you all for the responses!

#11 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:First novel release date is August 17th, 2016, from Dingbat Publishing.

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

Hi! Has there been any recent experience with Bookfish Books? I'm considering taking their offer. Any and all information is appreciated.

Hey, how come I'm just now hearing about this? Congrats kid!

I took a POD offer from Dingbat for a bunch of reasons. The chief one is this: they are a publishers, and this lifts your book out of the category of self-published and into a different sphere. In other words, it counts.

Just be sure of the terms in the contract, in particular what happens if they go bankrupt, and cancelling it. I'm think most sales are going to be digital anyway, and I know for a fact that SF publishers have purchased already published books in the recent past.

You also need to have a good fit with the editor/publisher. My first offer was for a traditionally printed book, but the terms were terribly one sided.

If I can help in any way, please let me know.

Follow me on twitter @jointhebrigade1

Please visit my website and blog at: http://thelastbrigade.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users