Mallory

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

You have to just dive in. Make sure to add a disclaimer that you are new to query critiquing though until you feel more comfortable (Take everything I say with a grain of salt since I'm new to this...)

“I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.”

-Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

https://twitter.com/croweink

#82 Downtowngirl

Downtowngirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Everything is moving forward.

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

I'm new to this! So, Im observing, it's awesome though.

#83 CS_W

CS_W

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:"Sword Witch" on Amazon, B&N, iBooks and Googleplay
    "A Courtroom of Ashes" on Amazon
    "From the Stars" To be released.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

Don't be afraid to jump in, girls. Critiquing really helps your learning process, because it helps you see the things that would not work for you, and the things that would. : )

#84 Mister M.

Mister M.

Amateur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:I played at being a publisher in primary school, does it count?

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

It does, I feel it. However sometimes, you don't really want to speak as you don't have enough credit and might direct the other (who also could be a beginner) on the wrong way.

#85 EricJ

EricJ

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Complimentary praise on rejection slips

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

I do mostly MG/YA, and last huggy author's group I hung out with was SCBWI--Which is valuable, but way too optimistic:  Their advice on query letters was more generic, ie. "Focus on your point, be brief, etc."...

Whereas WE, OTOH, are on a website devoted to getting your manuscript through to an agent and surviving the Chorus Line cut, and know how pro-training and cutthroat this messy little job is.  We're focused on the gold, and that's the nuts-and-bolts, line-by-line advice I come hoping to hear the most. 

I'm already on one of the other critique boards for the writing, but writing is writing and selling is selling, and I'm here for the selling.  The writing I can handle.

#86 Johnny6

Johnny6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:None. Short story work. Mostly Sci-Fi

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

I feel that this AQ site is absolutely required for newbies (like myself) to improve the writing. Other writer's opinions and suggestions do matter and will help you become a skilled writer. This site is a school. You will learn new ways to present your ideas. Take the red pill - explore what your best writing could be.  :smile:

#87 smithgirl

smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

I wanted to say that I had a fantastic experience both with the query forum and with the hook forum. I was nervous about posting my query for feedback because I had a terrible experience on a different online writers forum. I got some useful feedback at the beginning, but then the comments deteriorated into personal attacks. Several people posted comments that offered no feedback at all, just attacks on me. I was so distressed, I quit the forum with only a small amount of feedback, and my query suffered accordingly. The helpful advice I got here has dramatically improved the quality of my query, and everyone was very professional.

So, thank you to everyone!

#88 B. L. Hickey

B. L. Hickey

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:My Keeper, is a YA fantasy/romance. Through The Door, a YA crime thriller with a touch of romance. Winter's Blood, a supernatural/horror novelette, released 2/24/2016. Currently, writing under a pen name with five novella's/novelette's self-published.(Eight books published)

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:13 PM

I'm a newbie. With only two critiques on my query letter, I can say they have helped me tremendously. The novel was easy peasy compared to the query. Both of my critics were very professional and took the time to break it down sentence by sentence.

Thanks to those who take their time to read our work. I'll be paying it forward.

#89 rockondon

rockondon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:08 PM

The people that have critiqued my query are AWESOME! I love every one of them.

I just wish I could bring them to the synopsis query forum. It seems 10x harder getting people to critique you there.

SEAHAVEN-tiny_zps81d97748.jpg My query is complete but please take a look at my synopsis seahaven-sketch1tiny_zps366c1aee.jpg

#90 crazyrunner27

crazyrunner27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:13 PM

I agree wholeheartedly! Seems like you're lucky to get a handful of critiques in the Synopsis forum. The synopsis, for me, is the most difficult to write. I guess we just keep chugging on.

But I have to say, all of these forums are great. I never realized there are so many people out there doing what I'm doing, trying to be a successful writer.

Good luck!

#91 davchern

davchern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism, technical writing, public relations. I spent the first 35 years of my adult life writing for newspapers in Tennessee, South Carolina, and Virginia. Received numerous state and in-house awards during my 27 years covering cops and crime, most notably a first place Investigative Reporting from the Virginia Press Association.

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:30 PM

I'm curious to know the percentage of members who write nonfiction vs. fiction. As a longtime journalist seeking agent representation on my book, BLEEDING BLUE, The UNTOLD STORY BEHIND THE ATLANTA COURTHOUSE MASSACRE, I feel there aren't many non fiction authors who are members and critique other queries. Anyone?

#92 NicholasRichardWilde

NicholasRichardWilde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:4 years ago I had 2 requests for a partial on 2 submissions on this novel. Ultimately it was too long and unrefined. I stepped away from writing for two years to retool and came back stronger than ever. In May 2014 I won the award at The Atlanta Writers conference for best pitch and thought I had an agent but somehow the needs of the agency changed and I never heard back after winning the award. I'm in need of an agent that wants to stable a thriller author.

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:16 AM

I would be happy to critique a non-fiction query. I've been a member for about 1 1/2 weeks.

#93 Phoebe Schultz

Phoebe Schultz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:*STOP PRESS* - my query is now posted under 'Exobia' (as of 10 July 2015) - do please take time to critique it. I'll return the favour!
    Have written 7 books on real life experiences, but not yet attempted to publish any of them.
    Almost finished editing the first book I want to publish.

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:21 PM

I really encourage people to critique other people's work. I've honestly learned more about queries by analyzing other people's attempts, than just reading instructions on how to do it. Critiquing others forces you to put on the mind of the agent whilst you read a stranger's letter. It helps you to see where you might be missing a trick yourself.

This site works so well.  Thanks so far for everyone's support and feedback!

Phoebe :-)

Please check out the NEW DRAFT of my query!!

http://agentquerycon...ia-memoir-–-sm/

#94 dizzywriter

dizzywriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:03 PM

This has been a very friendly, professional and helpful place. I've been able to improve both my hook and my query thanks to all of the input here. I agree with Phoebe that critiquing other people's work put you into the agent mindset and helped me parse my query and kill my darlings. The reciprocity is a great idea and has worked well for me. Every single crit of my query brought something useful. Thank you to everyone who weighed in and please keep doing it.

#95 moonim

moonim

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

I've used AQC once before this on a different query, and felt there was much more reciprocation than there is now. :( .  It's always interesting to see who gets invested and will come back to your query multiple times, or who even though you've critiqued their query more than once, still won't visit yours. It is hard sometimes because of that. I don't mind helping other people, because it helps me get better too, but if only the same two or three people are reading my revisions, then I start to get frustrated (not at them!!) but that I can't get more fresh eyes. So then I try to read more of other peoples queries, and cross my fingers again, hoping something will give. It's an exhausting cycle, and still hasn't offered me much better results.

#96 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:First novel release date is August 17th, 2016, from Dingbat Publishing.

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

I've used AQC once before this on a different query, and felt there was much more reciprocation than there is now. :( .  It's always interesting to see who gets invested and will come back to your query multiple times, or who even though you've critiqued their query more than once, still won't visit yours. It is hard sometimes because of that. I don't mind helping other people, because it helps me get better too, but if only the same two or three people are reading my revisions, then I start to get frustrated (not at them!!) but that I can't get more fresh eyes. So then I try to read more of other peoples queries, and cross my fingers again, hoping something will give. It's an exhausting cycle, and still hasn't offered me much better results.

I'm very new here, and can only say that if someone crits mine I'll crit theirs. I've been very fortunate with the manuscript to find people on other (unrelated) message boards to read it and give feedback, and it has helped immensely. I'm hoping to find that same experience here, so if you show me yours, I'll show you...wait, wrong forum. If you read mine, I'll read yours!

Follow me on twitter @jointhebrigade1

Please visit my website and blog at: http://thelastbrigade.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users