AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

Rules are simple...

250 words for feedback. It can be general feedback or grammatical editing critique or feedback regarding authenticity of a procedure or place or simply feedback for a promotional blurb for your book.

Please title the thread with TITLE of BOOK -- if applicable -- and (book's genre) and then state why you're posting it and what kind of feedback you're seeking...

If you ask for feedback, be prepared to offer it in return.

Have fun. Be nice. We're all friends because we're all writers.

#2 Yuan Francois

Yuan Francois

Heroic Blood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

Seems like a good idea.

"It seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come."
-Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare 

http://enygmatickid.wordpress.com/

https://princeandpro....wordpress.com/

#3 Dottie D.

Dottie D.

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS South

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

Thank you for doing this!!

#4 ODearMoriah

ODearMoriah

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:59 AM

I'm really excited about this!

If we post the first 250 words and then later decide to post another 250 words on some other part of the book (like a procedure as was mentioned), should we delete the first thread? Post it under something new? Or post it as a new comment in the same thread (much like the query crits)?

Thanks for setting this up!

Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else (make something new), may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds.

-Tolkien

@ODearMoriah for Twitter stories.  A healthy dose of fiction.

Paracosms, Please for creative content under 140 words.

#5 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

<3 I love this new addition. I am definitely going to use it for my blurbs!

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

#6 Blitzing

Blitzing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:'Melt' in anthology 'Winter's Sweet Kiss' by e-pub

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

Yay! We have this forum! :D

~ Shaya Roy ~

www.shayaroy.com

Current query (contemporary romance)  

#7 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

Question - 

If I get really good at helping people with hooks, could I go by name, "Dr. Hook?"  :smile:

I just want a little intensive. 

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#8 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

<3 I love this new addition. I am definitely going to use it for my blurbs!

I was thinking this too.  :happy:

Question - 

If I get really good at helping people with hooks, could I go by name, "Dr. Hook?"  :smile:

You can be Captain.  :tongue:

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#9 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

I'm really excited about this!

If we post the first 250 words and then later decide to post another 250 words on some other part of the book (like a procedure as was mentioned), should we delete the first thread? Post it under something new? Or post it as a new comment in the same thread (much like the query crits)?

If it's a total new 250, then start a new thread and maybe add some type of qualifier to the title line to call it out as being different than any of your other threads, even if it's from the same book... like MY LIFE AS A DOG - (MEMOIR) - Submission to Agents  vs. MY LIFE AS A DOG (MEMOIR) - Traveling via airplane?

This is a BETA thread, so anything goes for now... we're not really sure how it will shape up or what's best.  

Members can help decide this....

#10 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

THANK YOU FOR THIS ADDITION!!

#11 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

I like this idea. I feel that is my chance to really contribute. I'll do my best to read every submission posted and help out where I can. 250-500 words right up my alley. (I used to read things like this ... but they were thousands of words long and I would spend a whole day going over everything)

Not trying to step on toes or anything but I'm wondering if the limit can be pushed to 500 words (but no more than 500)

#12 ODearMoriah

ODearMoriah

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:41 PM

That would be cool if we could do 500.  Some agents might request more than 250, and if you need help on a scene, 250 might not be enough to cover it.  There's a scene I thought about submitting, but I don't think I could get enough of what's going on in 250 words.

Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else (make something new), may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds.

-Tolkien

@ODearMoriah for Twitter stories.  A healthy dose of fiction.

Paracosms, Please for creative content under 140 words.

#13 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

I think the one of the reasons we're keeping it so short is that AQC isn't really a forum for in-depth critique. We have the wanted ads to find crit partners and beta readers. And 250 words is about the right length for stuff like book descriptions (for self-pubbers) and first page contests. Once you get past that amount, it also takes more time and effort from the people critiquing you to give you good feedback and still have the energy to comment on a few other posts. 250 words is a nice size chunk, and the things people say about your writing in those 250 words can often be applied to your writing on a larger scale.

#14 KrisSnow

KrisSnow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Novels: "Striking the Root" (fantasy, self-pub, Amazon), "Everyone's Island" (SF, Melange Books), "Thousand Tales" (SF, self-pub, Amazon)
    Short story sales to collection "Different Worlds, Different Skins" and (defunct) online publication "AlienSkin", just sold one to "Roar #6"

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:54 PM

Question - 

Sure, but you still won't get your picture on the cover of the Rolling Stone.

"Thousand Tales": http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z2Y2AF2 . AI, transhumanism, brain uploading, and griffins.

"Dragon Fate": https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FVPVEFS . Interactive fantasy story with magic and transformation.

#15 SnowGlobe

SnowGlobe

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I had a couple things published as a child and have not attempted to publish since then. Right now I am just getting back into writing and I am really only at the stage of finding critique partners and beta readers.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:41 PM

I accidentally posted on here and I can't figure out how to erase this altogether so I can only edit it. Anyway, thanks for the information. 

#16 KirkDJohnston

KirkDJohnston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:48 AM

Should we double space our paragraphs or anything like that, as it would be formatted if we were sending it to a publisher for example?

I posted my version as it would be displayed if printed, with single line spacing, a specific font, and indents for new paragraphs, and I'm not sure if that's okay or not.

#17 JeffJustWrites

JeffJustWrites

Hal ethrimi! (Keep writing!)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Seeking agent for a New Adult epistolary dark fantasy/horror novel.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:15 AM

Question - 

I just want a little intensive incentive.

Please don't take it personally, I couldn't help myself! :biggrin:

So it's ANY 250 words, yes? What if there are constructed languages involved?

JJW

My Perpetually Metamorphosing Query

At vahrai u ihlókéon. At u Atavithion. 

#18 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

I don't know, but thanks for the line edit.

Funny how auto-correct isn't.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users