Dottie D.

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS South

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

what happened to the chat room? have I just forgotten where the button is?  Is it gone?

#2 IsabelEmilyD

IsabelEmilyD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Currently studying my craft and writing. It's all about discipline, isn't it?

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

It's gone. They announced before maintenance they would be getting rid of it. 

#3 SciFiGuy

SciFiGuy

Some Guy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:http://www.amazon.com/Death-Robots-Zombies-Oliver-Higgs-ebook/dp/B00P8TYHDY/

http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Carnival-Anon-E-Dust-ebook/dp/B00IZ4H8H6/

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:11 PM

Aw man, I liked the chat room.  Why'd they get rid of it?

#4 r louis scott

r louis scott

Newbie. That's right, Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

When I first started coming to AQC, the chat room was a place to get to know your fellow writers a bit better. What their genre interests were, where they were at in the Great Publishing Process. 

To make a long story short (draconian editing), I was away from here for some time and when I came back the chat room was NEVER about writing anymore. 

I think that's why it's gone.

#5 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:42 PM

There was a big thread about the removal of chat which turned ugly and the Crew locked & deleted it. If that was an example of what went on in chat then I'm kinda not surprised it's gone.

#6 Dr Anne

Dr Anne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 198 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories, articles, poems published in books, anthologies, magazines and online, in Australia.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:21 AM

I doubt I'll look at the site much from now on.

I liked the chat room, it kept me in contact with other writers.

I find it too hard to navigate the rest of the site, or to post comments etc, unlike a few years ago when it was easier. All I can find now is the dashboard, and some of the forums, mostly YA and fantasy stuff that I don't write, and no where else to communicate.

Cheers, everyone.

Dr Anne from Sydney.

#7 Dr Anne

Dr Anne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 198 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories, articles, poems published in books, anthologies, magazines and online, in Australia.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:24 AM

I stand corrected. I just wrote a YA short story, sent it off and  and am waiting to see if it succeeds.

It was fun writing it as I had to find out about teenagers, what music they listen to etc and spent hours on youtube, also researched clothes, shoes, teenspeak etc.

#8 TJRedig

TJRedig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

Bummer, I came here tonight hoping to participate in the chat. 

#9 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:None :(

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

There was a big thread about the removal of chat which turned ugly and the Crew locked & deleted it. If that was an example of what went on in chat then I'm kinda not surprised it's gone.

It wasn't. People were just upset that it was removed, that's why the thread turned ugly.

#10 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

It wasn't. People were just upset that it was removed, that's why the thread turned ugly.

No, *some* people decided to indulge in a bit of character assassination that made it turn ugly. I understand people were upset about the decision but everybody is entitled to express an opinion. Don't use me as your punching bag for simply saying I never used it.

And I have enough negative PMs about this topic, please don't continue the ugly in my inbox....

#11 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

Well, it's good to hear from you, Dr. Anne! We'll be here, regardless of chat.

#12 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

I doubt I'll look at the site much from now on.

I liked the chat room, it kept me in contact with other writers.

I find it too hard to navigate the rest of the site, or to post comments etc, unlike a few years ago when it was easier. All I can find now is the dashboard, and some of the forums, mostly YA and fantasy stuff that I don't write, and no where else to communicate.

Cheers, everyone.

Dr Anne from Sydney.

I'm not sure where you're looking but when you type in the site URL and log in, you go straight to the forums. They're all there, laid out for easy viewing. Are you using it on mobile or a computer? Mobile doesn't show you all the group descriptions, but still all you have to do is click the forum name and you'll be taken to a list of all the sub-groups.

#13 J.S. Hughes

J.S. Hughes

Mathemagican

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

If you haven't already, I would suggest PMing her that information. 

If she finds the site hard to navigate, she might not see it.

J.S. Hughes on: Twitter — FaceBookGoogle+
Handy alt codes: - hyphen – en (alt+0150) — em (alt+0151)

Commas are the great mystery of my life.

#14 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

If you haven't already, I would suggest PMing her that information. 

If she finds the site hard to navigate, she might not see it.

Ha! I hadn't even thought of that. I figured she'd get a notification about me quoting her post. :-)

#15 tabs

tabs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

very disappointed to hear this.  chat was a great place to just hang out.  while the topic may have veered to nonwriterly things, it was always my experience that people were happy to jump back on track any time someone began to ask questions on writing or the like.  i certainly hope its reinstated before all of the regulars are gone for good.

#16 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

I think if all the "regulars" leave because chat is gone, this was probably not the place for them to begin with.

#17 Terradi

Terradi

Resident Malkavian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:58 PM

Ahh. That's why chat is gone. (Back for the first time in a long, long time -- this is news to me). 

#18 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

I think if all the "regulars" leave because chat is gone, this was probably not the place for them to begin with.

Agreed. 

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#19 J.S. Hughes

J.S. Hughes

Mathemagican

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

I find this really disheartening as a regular chatter (displaced) who considered AQC my home writing community.  :unsure:

A couple of regular chatters created this --disclaimer-unaffiliated-with-aqc-at-all-- room on chatzy.

The Cigar Room

Anyone, AQC chat refugee or otherwise, is welcome to stop by and talk to other writers.

J.S. Hughes on: Twitter — FaceBookGoogle+
Handy alt codes: - hyphen – en (alt+0150) — em (alt+0151)

Commas are the great mystery of my life.

#20 Mallory

Mallory

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

One of the problems with AQC is that it is set up for writers looking for agents and publishers, not established authors. So once people get publishing deals or agent contracts, or self publish, there's not much to keep them around.

I'm still here because I'm involved in a critique group in the bottom of the boards, but Chat was a great place for writers to talk about random things that came to mind. Every once and a while, a newbie would wander in and get great feedback from smart folks, including SAHunt, Paul Kruger, Matthew Cox, MLEBleek, and LucidDreamer and I'm sure a few others I forgot to include.

So even though most of the people who still wanted to chat moved on to another room, there's still knowledge being lost. It's not a purposeful "I'm not going on that site because they took away chat and are evil" thing. It's more that AQC doesn't have much to offer them anymore.

But, as JS said, we've moved to http://us21.chatzy.com/67807414897600

Sometimes it's busy, sometimes it's slow, but it's not associated with AQC in any way shape or form

“I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.”

-Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

https://twitter.com/croweink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users