#1 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

Here's a list of Twitter hashtags that people use related to book promotion, author promotion, or just "writerly" things.

What do you all think about these hashtags?  Effective?  Not Effective?  Anyone that you see or use more than others?

What about inserting pics into your Tweets?  Do Twitter users nowadays (August 2014) really want something more like Instagram?

TrainAuthors.com "40 Hashtags for Authors" Our List of 40 Hashtags for Authors
KDP/ Amazon Prime

#KDP
#KDPselect
#Kindle
#KindleFire
#KindleBooks
#AmazonPrime
#borrow
#lendinglibrary

Amazon/Kindle

#Amazonlikes
#Amazon
#AmazonKindle
#KindleFire
#KindleTouch
#KindleBooks
#Kindleebooks
#Kindlebooks
#Kindletweet

General Readers

#amreading
#reading
#readers
#read
#greatbooks
#mustread
#ebooks
#reviews
#reader
#pubwrite
#indie
#indiepub
#Romance
#Novel
#weekendreader
#GoodReads
#bookreview
#fiction
#bestread
#RT
#Share
#99cents
#99c

From DailyWritingTips.com "40 twitter Hashtags for Writers"

#amediting  posts from people who are editing

#amwriting  posts from people who are writing
#askagent  agent questions and answers
#author
#authors
#editing
#fictionfriday
#fridayflash  flash fiction on a Friday
#nanowrimo  national novel writing month
#novels
#novelists
#poem
#poet
#poets
#poetry
#pubtip  publication tips
#publishing
#scifi
#selfpublishing
#vss   very short story
#webfic  web fiction
#weblit   web literature
#wip   work in progress
#wordcount
#writegoal
#writequote
#writer
#writers
#writetip  writing advice
#writing
#writingtips  writing advice
#wrotetoday 

Some hashtags are specifically “chats” – which means they work in the same way as all tags, but are mainly used at certain agreed times : 

#journchat
#kidlitchat
#litchat
#scifichat
#scribechat
#storycraft
#writechat
#yalitchat   young adult literature chat 

#2 Michelle4Laughs

Michelle4Laughs

Walking on Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:BIRTH OF SAINTS trilogy(Harper Voyager): GRUDGING, FAITHFUL (Nov 15, 2016, Book 3 (Nov 2017). KINDAR'S CURE. Short stories in anthologies from EBP. Host of Query Kombat, Nightmare on Query Street, PB Party, Sun versus Snow.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

I love twitter. It's been great for spreading news of my blogs and contests. Not very sure it does anything for broadcasting my books to the general public, but it has been great for marketing myself. Can't argue with pageviews going up and up.

I don't use any of the tags with kindle or amazon on them.  Besides using specific contest tags or #giveaway, the ones I use most are #amwriting, #amediting, #amreading, #askagent, #querytip, #fantasy. I've also been trying to spread #amimagining. 

I'll include a picture every so often, but not regularly.

The best way to let people know about your books is to interact and have fun with them. Become someone people look to on twitter or wherever. Grow yourself as your own best tool. 

25815723.jpg  29242455.jpg  16415686.jpg   18159598.jpg  20957949.jpg   

Blog: It's in the Details
Twitter

#3 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

I love #litchat. They have great guests and fascinating discussions. I've also made new writer friends via #litchat.

Jeanne

#4 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

What do you all think about these hashtags?  Effective?  Not Effective?  Anyone that you see or use more than others?

What? Other than the fact the majority of authors still spam them with links to their Amazon books? I don't use them at all, nor do I follow them.

What about inserting pics into your Tweets?  Do Twitter users nowadays (August 2014) really want something more like Instagram?

The people who published an anthology that my short is in, made up banners for each story, with the tagline the writers created and I put them up with links. They did a video too, and I have those programed into my tweets as well. Whether or not they work, I don't know. I'd have to ask them. 

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#5 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

What? Other than the fact the majority of authors still spam them with links to their Amazon books? I don't use them at all, nor do I follow them.

The people who published an anthology that my short is in, made up banners for each story, with the tagline the writers created and I put them up with links. They did a video too, and I have those programed into my tweets as well. Whether or not they work, I don't know. I'd have to ask them. 

I'm with Darke on this one, if you go on most of those hashtags, it's just full of people spamming them with canned messages, often over and over. However, I do think things like #askagent and #10queries are great and really insightful about the business. In terms of promotion, I don't see the point of using them, but I have personal rules about tweeting about my book/social media promotion. 

Honestly, my opinion is if you want to post photos, get an Instagram. Don't settle for Twitter pics. Especially if you're a YA author. I personally get a lot more teen interaction on my instagram than on my twitter, where I think I'm followed by more adults than teens. 

#6 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

I'm with Darke on this one, if you go on most of those hashtags, it's just full of people spamming them with canned messages, often over and over.  In terms of promotion, I don't see the point of using them, but I have personal rules about tweeting about my book/social media promotion. 

You know it's really interesting... you look at Twitter and you watch the hashtags and it does seem that way, right?  

But then we run experiments with and without hashtags -- with and without pics.  And initially -- purely anecdotally --  findings are that certain combinations of hashtags PLUS Twitter pic gets retweeted much more, and there's no question that the tweets with photos are "right there in your face".

And then there is the issue of sales, which is so impossible to measure -- but we keep having this experience, so we're drawn back like a moth to Twitter, despite it not being our favored social media tool for sales.

A related digression: On Facebook, we have an "author page" which is different than a regular profile page because it allows you to run posts and then tells you various analytic metrics, including the "reach" of that post.  So we experimented on FB... the posts that have no hashtags reached... like less than 20 people.  You add hashtags -- literally to the same FB posts with the same photos -- and you reach 40, 50 60 -- in one case 90 "reached" (we'll post more about this in the Facebook group)

So then we flip back to Twitter, and really wonder... really, really wonder -- because every time we Tweet with a catchy phrase, a great pic, hashtags AND yes, the sold-called SPAM book link, it's not like our sales numbers go down. They don't.  They go up.  

But the problem is -- THAT data is completely unreliable because they may have gone up anyway, and there could be a million reasons why sales go up and we could be driven mad by it all -- but the FB thing was really telling.  For us, it's really really hard to discount the FB numbers.  And hashtags were born on Twitter.  

And just one final note, yesterday, our red sales line spiked 15 sales more than Friday and Saturday, and you could say... we'll, that's just Sunday or that's just some other promotion that you did, or you're just making up conversation.  

But we would go back to... all true.  But tweeting spam also didn't seem to hurt sales, right?

#7 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

That's the rub, isn't it? You have a bump, but don't know what the hell you did or if you did anything to cause it. 

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

#8 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

My sales bumps really confuse me because I don't even plug my stuff lol. It's just... magic.

As for Twitter hashtags, there's also #nalitchat which is an ongoing chat on Thursdays at 9pm Eastern for New Adult writers.

I sometimes use ones like #amwriting, or genre specific ones related to what I'm tweeting.

#9 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

So wait, AQC Crew, are you saying that hashtags increase your reach on your FB Author page? Do people use the hashtag to search for a tweet on Twitter? Why do you think it affects your reach? I'm very curious about this.

Jeanne

#10 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

So wait, AQC Crew, are you saying that hashtags increase your reach on your FB Author page? 

Yeah, no question.  We're going to attempt to address this in a separate thread.  But if you have an author page, then you know that FB gives you some analytics regarding how well your posts perform... including how many times the "reached" FB users.  So more of a direct correlation can be drawn -- not 100% -- but enough to really say, yes... we think certain hashtags in your FB author page posts increase your post's reach.

Do people use the hashtag to search for a tweet on Twitter? 

Yeah, there's no question that people search and filter based on hashtags in Twitter.  We don't use Tweet software like Hootsuite or Tweetdeck, but that's part of what they do, right?  They help figure out trending hashtags, and you can filter tweets based on various hashtags, etc.  AND you can even set the software to schedule your tweets and auto-retweet people if they use certain hashtags.

Honestly, that's more into Twitter than we care about because it's fundamentally not our preferred social media tool.  BUT -- it's too big to ignore completely, so we're going to try to unravel it a bit.

And there's no question that your reach on Twitter has very little to do with  "how many followers" you have -- if  you use hashtags in your tweets, you reach people who are not following you.

The question is: which hashtags are most effective and are they helping to reach potential readers...and affect sales.

For example, you put in the word "Monday" into Twitter's search box and you get Monday, Mondaymotivation, Mondayblog, and monday morning

So are #Mondaymotivation and #Mondayblog popular hashtags to be using?  We assume so... there's a reason why Twitter is serving them up in their search results, right?

And finally, what we do suspect nowadays is that one good catchy phrase with a eye-popping twitter pic may be worth way more than a dozen text tweets.  Tweets with twitter pics definitely jump out at you.  And combine them with the right hashtags and maybe you've found some magic.

Or maybe not.  

#11 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

This is all very interesting. I do agree that Twitter hashtags seem to draw attention. A case in point: When we were treated very rudely after United Airlines lost our luggage, I tweeted about it with the hashtag: #unitedairlinesfail. I think I posted all of 3 tweets before United contacted me directly and asked how they could resolve the problem! So yeah, somebody is paying attention to those hashtags, I guess!

I may reconsider using hashtags on my FB author page now that I know how this works. Good info. Thanks!

Jeanne

#12 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

That is really interesting about the hashtags on facebook! I'm gonna have to share that with some friends.

My personal feel about promotion, especially because I'm in YA, is that it really shouldn't look too much like promotion, thus my personal rules about it (no blatant promotion like selling hashtags, only re-tweet "official" stuff that interviews, contests, giveaways, stuff my publicist(s) set up etc, never retweet citizen reviews, talk mostly about my life/dogs/food rather than writing) because YA culture is very much a personality thing when it comes social media and finding your niche within that and teens don't like being blatantly sold to without anything else of substance. I don't have access to sales numbers the way SP'ers do, so I don't keep track of spikes (honestly, I think I'd drive myself crazy!) but I imagine there probably is a little spike each time I do tweet about something book related, mostly because I don't do it very often. 

I DO however use hashtags like #lgtbt fiction and #bisexual fiction and #LGBT YA on Tumblr, where because of my book's subject matter, they have been used to enormous effect, not just by me, but by other Tumblr users excited about the book. 

#13 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

Okay, so here's an update on Monday's Twitter experiment:

We created three tweets -- all for the same book: one morning tweet, one afternoon tweet, and one evening tweet.  

Each tweet had a catchy phrase, a direct link to the book on Amazon, an extremely eye-popping stock photo that we buy from 123rf.com for a $1 per low res photo, and several different combos of hashtags.

Tweet 1. Got retweeted 4 times -- 2 people were our followers and 2 were random folks who saw the tweet because of the hashtags - total followers of those accounts: 10,000+

Tweet 2: Got tweet 3 times - 2 people who retweet us a lot and we're pretty sure it's because they're using Twitter software that is auto-retweeting based on certain hashtag combinations and 1 new person who must have seen the hashtags and decided to retweet - total followers of those accounts - +15,000

Tweet 3 (this is the really interesting one): retweeted by 1 new person (someone not following us) and "favorited" by three accounts, including a very trendy entertainment/book/lifestyle twitter account that posted it on their iphone app "roll".  After that, it got favorited by a very popular Twitter account that only tweets short phrases with pictures and has 1.3million followers.  Both of those Twitter accounts follow less than 30 people, so they definitely saw Tweet 3 because of the hashtags, and likely noticed it even more because of the picture.

What's the point here?  

A. We think pictures are a big deal to getting visibility on Twitter.  The problem is... twitter pics take up about 20 characters of your total 140 characters... so to fit in a picture, hashtags, AND your book's shortened Amazon link, you really have to be succinct AND catchy.  We will admit -- it's not easy to do over and over again.

B. Hashtags get your tweets seen by a ton of people.  Your total number of followers means nothing in terms of the potential visibility of your tweets.

THE RESULTS:  

Monday sales are exactly the same as Sundays (minus one), which is sort of a big deal because on Monday, usually we see a drop-off in sales as compared to Sundays numbers.  But perhaps more importantly, Mondays sales numbers were -- again - about 15 books more than the past Saturday, Friday, and Thursday sales.  

Still, does it all mean anything?  

We'll we will say this -- yes, it's actually means it's all kinda annoying.  We've been looking for months -- MONTHS -- for a way to dismiss Twitter, but every time we try, we run into this issue of feeling like it does actually affect sales.  That's why we keep returning to it when we've got no other promos lined up... and that's why it's also annoying because we still have no idea.

#14 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Okay, so here's an update on Monday's Twitter experiment:

We created three tweets -- all for the same book: one morning tweet, one afternoon tweet, and one evening tweet.  

Each tweet had a catchy phrase, a direct link to the book on Amazon, an extremely eye-popping stock photo that we buy from 123rf.com for a $1 per low res photo, and several different combos of hashtags.

Tweet 1. Got retweeted 4 times -- 2 people were our followers and 2 were random folks who saw the tweet because of the hashtags - total followers of those accounts: 10,000+

Tweet 2: Got tweet 3 times - 2 people who retweet us a lot and we're pretty sure it's because they're using Twitter software that is auto-retweeting based on certain hashtag combinations and 1 new person who must have seen the hashtags and decided to retweet - total followers of those accounts - +15,000

Tweet 3 (this is the really interesting one): retweeted by 1 new person (someone not following us) and "favorited" by three accounts, including a very trendy entertainment/book/lifestyle twitter account that posted it on their iphone app "roll".  After that, it got favorited by a very popular Twitter account that only tweets short phrases with pictures and has 1.3million followers.  Both of those Twitter accounts follow less than 30 people, so they definitely saw Tweet 3 because of the hashtags, and likely noticed it even more because of the picture.

What's the point here?  

A. We think pictures are a big deal to getting visibility on Twitter.  The problem is... twitter pics take up about 20 characters of your total 140 characters... so to fit in a picture, hashtags, AND your book's shortened Amazon link, you really have to be succinct AND catchy.  We will admit -- it's not easy to do over and over again.

B. Hashtags get your tweets seen by a ton of people.  Your total number of followers means nothing in terms of the potential visibility of your tweets.

THE RESULTS:

Monday sales are exactly the same as Sundays (minus one), which is sort of a big deal because on Monday, usually we see a drop-off in sales as compared to Sundays numbers.  But perhaps more importantly, Mondays sales numbers were -- again - about 15 books more than the past Saturday, Friday, and Thursday sales.  

Still, does it all mean anything?  

We'll we will say this -- yes, it's actually means it's all kinda annoying.  We've been looking for months -- MONTHS -- for a way to dismiss Twitter, but every time we try, we run into this issue of feeling like it does actually affect sales.  That's why we keep returning to it when we've got no other promos lined up... and that's why it's also annoying because we still have no idea.

Is it bad that all I could think while reading this was One day, Crew... One day I will know your secret identity!

:tongue:

#15 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

Is it bad that all I could think while reading this was One day, Crew... One day I will know your secret identity!

:tongue:

Hahahahah! YES! 

#16 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

If you're following this thread and are interested in Twitter, hashtags, and Twitter pics... and how to use them effectively --> go follow today's #FridayReads hashtag and notice how Oyster is using their twitter pics.  

Those book covers are huge, but boy... do they flag your attention.

#17 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:42 PM

I think I'll do an experiment. I'll do a series of tweets with the pictures of my book. Then I'll wait and do another series but with hashtags.     

#18 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

There is also #Tuesdayteaser on FB, where authors post a pik/quote.

#19 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

AWExley, that's a cool idea. I hadn't seen that hashtag before. Thanks for sharing!

Jeanne

#20 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

There is also #Tuesdayteaser on FB, where authors post a pik/quote.

Yeah, I've seen that. The majority of tweets are hard-core erotica with a sprinkle of porn pics.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users