#1 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

Several members have asked about using FB as a writer. Should I? How? What do I put there? All that stuff. I wrote a brief overview on From The Write Angle about the differences between using a fan page versus a public profile to connect with your audience. Feel free to comment there or here, share the infographic or post, ask additional questions that I can address in future FB for Authors posts. I hope it's helpful at least a little bit. :-)

#2 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

This is an EXTREMELY informative post on the difference between having a Facebook Page versus just a Facebook profile.  Thanks so much for writing it up.

http://www.fromthewr...or-profile.html

Author Profile If you have a personal profile on Facebook for keeping in touch with friends and family already, then you know how all of that works. Many authors will create additional profiles for their pen names, or even if they don't use a pen name, they'll create a profile for "Author J. Lea L√≥pez" for the purposes of connecting with fans and having an online presence as their writing selves. It's easy, there's no learning curve because they already know how to use FB in this manner, and they can keep personal details out of their professional timeline and vice versa
Attending FB events like launch parties and cover reveals and giveaways is easy to do. For event attendees, they get notifications whenever other attendees (who have RSVP'd) post in the event. This is great if you have some people who are waiting for Author You to show up and play games or run a giveaway. They don't have to babysit the event page and keep hitting refresh. Attendees do NOT get a notification when someone posts in the event using their page persona. 

This is one of those key points that we'd like to call out because we were perfectly fine with just having our FB author page and ignoring our FB profile UNTIL we realized we couldn't post comments on other FB pages with our author page.  We HAD to switch over to our FB profile and comment as our "profile" persona.

That realization was like... ugh, now we have to create a whole author profile persona, too? *waaah, waahhh*  What a total drag...

#3 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

This is an EXTREMELY informative post on the difference between having a Facebook Page versus just a Facebook profile.  Thanks so much for writing it up.

This is one of those key points that we'd like to call out because we were perfectly fine with just having our FB author page and ignoring our FB profile UNTIL we realized we couldn't post comments on other FB pages with our author page.  We HAD to switch over to our FB profile and comment as our "profile" persona.

That realization was like... ugh, now we have to create a whole author profile persona, too? *waaah, waahhh*  What a total drag...

You CAN comment on other pages as your page... I wasn't sure if you had to like it first, so I just did an experiment. I can comment on pages I have liked as well as pages I haven't liked when using FB as my page.

However, Clipper had mentioned in an AQC status here that she couldn't like other pages as her page, and also mentioned that she ONLY has a page with no associated profile on FB. I don't know how that's possible, but I'd be curious to know if you have a similar page setup and if that might be responsible for the commenting thing too.

#4 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

You CAN comment on other pages as your page... I wasn't sure if you had to like it first, so I just did an experiment. I can comment on pages I have liked as well as pages I haven't liked when using FB as my page.

However, Clipper had mentioned in an AQC status here that she couldn't like other pages as her page, and also mentioned that she ONLY has a page with no associated profile on FB. I don't know how that's possible, but I'd be curious to know if you have a similar page setup and if that might be responsible for the commenting thing too.

Dear Mistress of Facebook,

That is all incredibly interesting.  

No, we created a profile first and then added a page to it.  Then, we went about promoting only the Page as an "author page" and not the profile.  But when we went to comment on other FB stuff (would it matter if it's other pages, profiles, communities, groups, etc.) we're fairly certain they made us "switch" back to our profile to comment.  Will double test that this week because it's been awhile since we've commented on anything.

We DO know -- when we tried to log into Goodreads with our Facebook account today, for example, GoodReads prompted us to switch out of our page and into our profile to log in... for example.  That's kinda of a digression... but we'd really love to figure this whole thing out.

How can we summons Clippership into this kerfuffle?  It would AWESOME to get rid of the profile side of things -- maybe.  Your article sort of makes us want to clarify what we can and should do with the profile.  But no doubt - switching back and forth between them is SO super annoying, and always making sure we're "on" as the page, is also annoying.

We recently had a reader/fan "friend" us on the profile side -- and we accepted because we didn't want to ignore them, but now, we're getting "spammed" with every single one of their FB posts. We know that's likely a setting we can turn on -- but still.

#5 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

I almost never have any issue making sure I'm posting as my page now. I leave it set to "posting as J. Lea Lopez" and only change it when I want to like it as my regular profile to try to give a post a bit more visibility. If I forget to change it back, then it's a problem. But I don't mind having to click a couple drop down boxes when I've seen something in my profile and want to share it as my page.

I did discover today that FB has finally improved the home page and newsfeed options for when I use FB as my page, which is almost never. I remember they just had the pages feed, which they showed in no logical order. But now you can see it and sort it by most recent or top stories just like the regular profile feed.

It would be great to Clipper in on this convo too, because I'm intrigued about the no profile thing. I think I may have had one friend somehow convert a profile to a page because I swear we were FB friends, and then all of a sudden she doesn't exist as a profile but she does as a page. Or I could be completely misremembering how that happened. So... I don't know.

As for your new friend, you can go to their profile and click where it says "following" to unfollow their posts without having to unfriend them. I've recently unfriended some people and ignored friend requests that have come from when I participate in FB release parties. I feel a little bad sometimes, but then I move on lol. That's what my page is for.

#6 Jemi

Jemi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

This whole topic is perfect timing for me! One of my goals for the summer was to set up a FB acct. I know zip about FB and this whole topic here & on the blog is very helpful

Reading their whole terms of use pages was/is a bit intimidating. It does say you have to set up under your legal name 'as you would see it on a credit card'. Not doing that. I want to keep it completely in my pen name. Just curious if anyone has done that??

#7 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

Reading their whole terms of use pages was/is a bit intimidating. It does say you have to set up under your legal name 'as you would see it on a credit card'. Not doing that. I want to keep it completely in my pen name. Just curious if anyone has done that??

Ditto.  But that's why we focused on setting up an author page and maintaining that.  We do know people kept saying that we could just make up anything we wanted, but that never seemed like the intent of FB profiles.  That said, we set-up a profile in our author pen name(s) in order to create a pages that is now our "author page" name(s).  It is our understanding that FB pages are for promotion -- so pen names are fair game.

Jemi -- it would be great if you could be our guppie and report back as you go through the process.  It would be great to clear the air on even the most basic issue of setting up page vs. profile.

Going to summon Clippership now...

#8 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

As for your new friend, you can go to their profile and click where it says "following" to unfollow their posts without having to unfriend them. I've recently unfriended some people and ignored friend requests that have come from when I participate in FB release parties. I feel a little bad sometimes, but then I move on lol. That's what my page is for.

That is a grand tip.  Thanks for that...

#9 Jemi

Jemi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

Ditto.  But that's why we focused on setting up an author page and maintaining that.  We do know people kept saying that we could just make up anything we wanted, but that never seemed like the intent of FB profiles.  That said, we set-up a profile in our author pen name(s) in order to create a pages that is now our "author page" name(s).  It is our understanding that FB pages are for promotion -- so pen names are fair game.

Jemi -- it would be great if you could be our guppie and report back as you go through the process.  It would be great to clear the air on even the most basic issue of setting up page vs. profile.

Going to summon Clippership now...

More than willing to be the guppie :)

Looking forward to Clipper's input too - wondering if I can get away with only setting up a page (where the pen name is fair game), not a profile (where it's not) or if that's going to limit me on the interactions. Hmmm

#10 Clippership

Clippership

Speculative Fiction Group Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I write science-fantasy, YA, and historical fiction. I've published non-fiction in magazines and my first novel was released in Sept. 2014.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

Ah, a summons, how can I refuse? :wink:

Okay, so what I think happened was this:

1 - I had an inactive personal profile.

2 - When I went to create a professional page, FB gave me the option of merging the new page with my profile. I think I also had the option of connecting a page to my profile, which is what I think most of you have been doing.

3 - When I agreed to merge the two, FB got rid of the profile specs and obligations. I just have an author page. FB did say that if you do a merge, your friends will carry over as your fans.

I really like the freedom of having just a page. I don't feel pressured to be cutsy or too personal. I linked up my page to Twitter so that my posts will zoom over there (and kill two birds with one stone). I also make sure I post on my page my latest blogposts. I've used the same banner on FB and Twitter that I have on my blog for continuity. So far so good.

#11 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

That's interesting! But then you did say you couldn't like other pages, right? Can you comment or interact with other pages in any way? Or create or attend FB events? I'm intrigued.

#12 Clippership

Clippership

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I write science-fantasy, YA, and historical fiction. I've published non-fiction in magazines and my first novel was released in Sept. 2014.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

I still can't like anyone else's page, which is frustrating. I haven't tried commenting or participating in an event yet. Been busy with proofreading edits for the past month. I'll try experimenting with FB some more next week and will get back to you on that.

#13 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

So, we just clicked on this link in order to undo the link between our Facebook page and our Twitter account: https://www.facebook.com/twitter

It forced us to switch over to our FB "profile" page in order to make the change to either our FB profile or our FB page.

Wondering what would happen if we no longer had a FB profile -- like Clipper?

In addition, we did recently "liked" a post with both our FB profile and our FB page.  So you can "like" with both -- but we only did that accidentally because we didn't realize that we were logged in with our FB "profile" when we "liked" the post, and had to toggle back to being just our "page" to like it.  Foo on us.

Clumsy and annoying, but still uncertain about all the ramifications of removing the profile entirely.  

PS. Jemi - our FB profile is the same name as our FB "author page's" pen name, just FYI.

#14 Jemi

Jemi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:44 PM

PS. Jemi - our FB profile is the same name as our FB "author page's" pen name, just FYI.

Good to know. I'm not a big fan of lying (too much of teacher I guess) but it's better than linking my real name to my profile  :tongue:

#15 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

Good to know. I'm not a big fan of lying (too much of teacher I guess) but it's better than linking my real name to my profile  :tongue:

Think of it this way: half the celebrity artists, actors, and musicians on Facebook aren't using their "real name" either.  

And you have to think about your ultimate goal -- which we assume will be to promote your book -- or other authors' books.  That's what having a FB Page is all about -- promotion.  And assuming you can interact as your "page" rather than your profile (in other words, like, comment on other posts, schedule events, etc.), we would do that as much as possible and avoid promoting through your "pen name" profile.

#16 Jemi

Jemi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

Think of it this way: half the celebrity artists, actors, and musicians on Facebook aren't using their "real name" either.  

And you have to think about your ultimate goal -- which we assume will be to promote your book -- or other authors' books.  That's what having a FB Page is all about -- promotion.  And assuming you can interact as your "page" rather than your profile (in other words, like, comment on other posts, schedule events, etc.), we would do that as much as possible and avoid promoting through your "pen name" profile.

So true! I think I'm ok with it.

And yes, definitely for promoting the books once they're out and about. I think I'll have 2 books ready to go in a few months. With hopefully another one in a couple of months after that. Although the way 2014 has been treating us, that could be delayed very easily

I'd also like to get set up and 'learn' FB before the books come out - but setting up a Page as my primary interaction seems a little arrogant until my books are close to ready to go

The current hold up is deciding on a profile pic that's Me without showing Me  :tongue: I know faces are more personable etc but I have remain anonymous so I'm struggling there a bit. Soon I hope!

#17 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:52 PM

This might be a downside of NOT having a profile if you try to get rid of it completely (a la Clippership)

When you try to link your Facebook with your twitter account via this tool, it forces you to sign into Facebook as your profile NOT your page.  

While logged into our Page, we got this message when we clicked on the FB/Twitter link tool:

To access this page, you'll need to switch from using Facebook as your page to using Facebook as yourself.

#18 Clippership

Clippership

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:52 PM

That's interesting. I didn't have that issue. I just clicked to link my FB page to my Twitter account, typed in the pertinent Twitter info, and they linked up.  Maybe because I don't have a personal-profile-anything anymore?

#19 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

That's interesting. I didn't have that issue. I just clicked to link my FB page to my Twitter account, typed in the pertinent Twitter info, and they linked up.  Maybe because I don't have a personal-profile-anything anymore?

Ahhh... crazy-interesting, Clipper.  *starting to sway towards the no-profile Clippercamp*

#20 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:43 PM

I am a FB page junkie, lol.  I have a profile page, an author page, a page for my debut novel and now a page for my upcoming novel.  Oh, and I co-administer a page for the anthology I am a part of which will be out this fall.  I made myself a quick set of rules/rubric for what goes where so that all those different pages aren't repetitive . Basically:

My profile page includes lots of post that are not strictly professional, even though it exists under my pen name.  I use it a ton to interact with both my fellow writers, people from my real life (who can be trusted not to blow it and accidentally post my other name--I have a cousin who I have to mop up after all the darn time), and readers.  My profile had turned out to be my favorite page because I can tailor who sees what (one group sees more personal stuff, my street team sees posts others can't) and it is, well, more personal (I can post cat pictures, confess to foibles) and I truly have made a lot of connections thorough it that I enjoy. I do NOT post political stuff or religious stuff or much of anything controversial because I have no desire to turn off potential readers.  I might not want to sit next to you on the bus, and I might despise your politics but if you send me a friend request I am going to accept it and I DO most sincerely want you as a reader.

My author page tends to feature my reflections as a reader and writer. I post links to blogs that I've found useful. I post updates on my general writing progress. I have a photo album of me with other authors.  I post news (like the PW annoucement of my latest deal).

My "The Sister Queens" page is for interacting with folks who've read the book. I post historical tidbits about my characters, I post news about promotional pricing, I post illustrated quotes from the book. I post articles, blogs etc that might be of interest to people who like medieval history.

My "Medicis Daughter" page does all the sorts of things I just listed for TSQ but with respect to the characters, time period (16th century) and content of my next novel.

Yes, that's a lot of pages but I don't post daily to any of them except my personal profile so it turns out not to be that much work and I'd like to think they are pretty effective. I only cross post from one page to another on the rare occasion (like the PW announcement) where something happens that is pretty large-scale and legitimately interesting to the separate fan sets in total.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users