#21 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:20 AM

I have a profile and an author page. I did have a page for two of my books, but I didn't use them much and took them down. I'd rather focus on the two I had. I use my author page mainly for blog posts and to promote other authors and their books, and my profile page for posting funny cat pictures, sarcasm and playing Candy Crush. :D     

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#22 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

Wow, Litgal and Darke -- some great insights that really prove we are TOTAL Facebook newbies.

The issue now seems to be that the more we interact on the fan page, the more "friend" requests we're getting on the profile page.  So we're going to have to figure out an elegant way to not friend them and/or coaxing them over to "like" the fan page.

Or maybe that's completely missing the point of FB and the way that people want to interact...? And we're going to have to maintain both?

Maybe we simply have not experienced the glory of playing Candy Crush.

#23 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

I have a profile page and a fan Page. My profile page uses my married name, while my fan page uses my full, which is also the name I write under. I "invited" quite a few people from my profile page to "like" my fan page, so there is some crossover. However, I make mostly personal posts on my profile page, and I don't "friend" anyone I don't know.

I'm fairly active on my profile page, posting at least once or twice a day. I also share a lot of interesting posts I see on other people's pages. And, I sometimes share posts I've made on my fan page. I post on my fan page about once or twice a week. (Note the difference in frequency.)

Since the fan page is linked to Twitter, I think the infrequent postings make it feel less like spamming on Twitter. I do tweet separately on Twitter about other things not linked to my writing, though.

For me, the most difficult thing has been building followers of my FB fan page. I'm now up to 170 "likes." That means I'm adding about 2-3 people a week. Not a large influx, but maybe it's because I've been working the page so slowly. I'm using the fan page to test a lot of techniques to see what works best.

Jeanne

#24 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

The issue now seems to be that the more we interact on the fan page, the more "friend" requests we're getting on the profile page.  So we're going to have to figure out an elegant way to not friend them and/or coaxing them over to "like" the fan page.

Or maybe that's completely missing the point of FB and the way that people want to interact...? And we're going to have to maintain both?

PRECISELY--this is all about them (sadly) not you and if they prefer to "friend you" let them (I have friends who are not only individuals I've never heard of--I haven't even heard of the countries they come from, lol).  If you want a profile for playing candy crush and actually communicating with relatives and acquaintance set up something separate for that.  Meanwhile I at least, have found that I get much more attention and interaction with readers on my profile than on my author page. So my advice--short of known criminals and people spamming my page with things they want to sell--friend all comers. 

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#25 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:37 PM

Meanwhile I at least, have found that I get much more attention and interaction with readers on my profile than on my author page. So my advice--short of known criminals and people spamming my page with things they want to sell--friend all comers. 

I've always found sending out requests to 'like' my author page is sleazy, but that's just me. I generally cross-post between author and profile, that way if they like it, they can 'like' it. 

Mind you, I had my anthology publisher send suggest to everyone on her list that they like my author page. Freaked. Me. Out. One good thing about it, I'm more focused on keeping them, so I post more there. 

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

#26 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:47 PM

I've always found sending out requests to 'like' my author page is sleazy, but that's just me. I generally cross-post between author and profile, that way if they like it, they can 'like' it. 

*whistles* doo-to-doo... *removing greasy fake moustache, hair netting, trench coat showing only sandals* Lalalala...nothing to see here.

* salutes to Litgal* Going with accepting all friend requests for now  (those ALL CAPS still make us standing up straighter in our chair)

#27 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

Litgal,

I don't know. I'm a little reluctant to "friend" people who have a nude profile pic or whose posts are in Russian! :laugh:

JeanneG

#28 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

Litgal,

I don't know. I'm a little reluctant to "friend" people who have a nude profile pic or whose posts are in Russian! :laugh:

JeanneG

I know you're just kidding, but I look over the profile of someone who sends me a friend request. I check to see what mutual friends (if any) and what they post. If they constantly post about their book - nope. If they don't post at all but have thank-yous from people who have friended them - nope. That last one creeps me out. I've had a few of those. Many are men who have nothing but all women on their friend list, that's why I blocked my list from public view. Only I can see them.     

#29 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

Truthfully, I have received friend requests like this! The nude pic dudes are easy to ignore, as are the ones that say, "your profile picture really touched me, and I feel we have a special connection," but the Russian one kind of freaked me out. I kept thinking, "ID theft!"

I'm also careful about the mutual friends litmus test, because sometimes I see that we have only one mutual friend and absolutely no common background. That makes me a little suspicious. I've heard stories of people who get one person to unknowingly "friend" them and then that stranger targets everyone else on that person's friend's list. Before long, you have a lot of mutual friends, but there is still no info at all about the person making the original request, not even stuff like education or job. It's a backdoor entrance to your profile and a form of phishing for personal info.

Jeanne

#30 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:39 PM

I've heard stories of people who get one person to unknowingly "friend" them and then that stranger targets everyone else on that person's friend's list. Before long, you have a lot of mutual friends, but there is still no info at all about the person making the original request, not even stuff like education or job. It's a backdoor entrance to your profile and a form of phishing for personal info.

EXACTLY! They go through people's friends list and add like crazy.  

#31 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

Not to sound unconcerned but my friends can make their own decisions who to add to their lists.  I've only had to unfriend 1 person so far.  And as for phishing for information--given that I use a pen name and post nearly nothing that is in anyway really personal I guess I am not that concerned. 

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#32 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

I come down on the accept all Friend requests.  

Since knowing my book is coming out in Dec, I started to check out who has liked posts that I like.  If we have multiple friends in common, I reach out to them.  This was mostly during the Film Festival.  I can't tell you how many people I met at movie premieres who said, "Oh, yes, you friended me on Facebook."  That reinforces the personal connection.  

Is that slimy?  I work in Hollywood.  Everyone in the entertainment business knows we have a 100% unemployment rate.  If you have a job, it's only going to last 6 months in production (at the most), or 3-6 years as an executive (That's a guess, but an educated one).  Everyone is constantly on the lookout for a connection that can put food on the table.  If that connection starts out as a friend and turns into business, fine.  If s/he starts out as just a business outreach but becomes a friend, that's cool too.  

In a month, I went from about 900 friends on Facebook to about 2,300.  Realistically, that should translate to about 30 easy sales.  The rest will be hard work.

But, I like goofing around on Facebook, so it's happy work.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#33 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:30 PM

I accept most friend requests from other writers when we have some friends in common, and I have done that since my Authonomy days. For the most part I haven't regretted it. I did a bit of cleaning recently and unfriended a few contacts. It's only in the past several months that I've accepted (and then pondered the wisdom of it) friend requests from readers who may not even have read my book, but we "met" briefly during a FB launch party where I was a guest doing a giveaway. I have strategically avoided some friend requests from seemingly random people or people who only have one friend in common (and that friend is a very very distant writing acquaintance). The next time I participate in a FB party, I may try to do it as my page, as much of a pain in the butt as that is. Either that or state up front in my intro that people shouldn't be offended if I don't accept a friend request and that they can interact with me on my page.

For me, I've used my FB profile for personal interactions since I signed up for FB. That was my whole reason for signing up. The business aspect of it came later. So I sometimes post things that are political and potentially divisive on my profile. I rant about life to family and friends through my profile. I share personal struggles on my profile that I don't share on my page. (Anyone from here who's my FB friend probably knows all about the house I can't sell lol.) Unlike Sophie, my profile isn't under a pen name and I do post more personal info there. I don't want to let completely unvetted strangers into that space just because they're potential readers.

I could set up a second profile page to friend readers on, but.... I don't want to. I see people like our own Jean Oram who really take their readers in and interact daily, and I just can't do that. It's the online version of small talk, and I can't handle it. It's too much noise and it makes my introverted brain hurt. On top of that, I can be very sensitive to other people's emotions, and lots of readers love to share... everything. I get a real, tangible joy from watching a particular AQC friend fangirl over Tom Hardy :wink: and I also shed a few tears this morning when an online friend shared that her pet had died. The last thing I want is to be bombarded with the joys and pains and sorrows and inane irritations of several hundred complete strangers. (Oh man, is my cynicism showing? lol) And if I friend them all but hide them from my feed, then why even friend them in the first place?

So that's why I want to keep things on my page as much as possible instead of my profile. How I use my personal profile just doesn't fit with how I want to be able to connect to readers. The page or profile thing is definitely something each person is going to have to consider and decide for themselves.

#34 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:32 PM

(And just to drive my point home, I have family members who I refuse to friend on Facebook, so... definitely not going to be friending any and all random readers any time soon.)

#35 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

Some powerful posts here.  Thanks all for sharing.  really show you that there's no wrong way -- so long as it feels right to you.

For me, I've used my FB profile for personal interactions since I signed up for FB. That was my whole reason for signing up. The business aspect of it came later.

Unlike Sophie, my profile isn't under a pen name and I do post more personal info there. I don't want to let completely unvetted strangers into that space just because they're potential readers.

Yeah, this is an essential point.  How you started using your profile, and how much of your "profile" is actually related to your real life persona or your author persona.

I could set up a second profile page to friend readers on, but.... I don't want to. I see people like our own Jean Oram who really take their readers in and interact daily, and I just can't do that. It's the online version of small talk, and I can't handle it. It's too much noise and it makes my introverted brain hurt. 

So that's why I want to keep things on my page as much as possible instead of my profile. How I use my personal profile just doesn't fit with how I want to be able to connect to readers. The page or profile thing is definitely something each person is going to have to consider and decide for themselves.

Jean really is a master at that, isn't she?  That's a talent, but we agree.  It's not how we're wired either, so it's not the "natural" way for us to operate on FB.

#36 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:25 PM

Okay, here's a possible pro versus con of maintaining your FB profile versus going FB page only .

We received a group invitation today from someone who wants to be friends and who is offering an invitation to join their authors/readers group for our book's genre. It's the FB group that's the counterpart to the Goodreads group.  We checked it out -- seemed legit, has a ton of members -- and then accepted the invite... but of course, have no idea the implications of that.  Also, we accepted her "friend" request.

It is interesting how many reader groups exist on FB (and on Goodreads) and you may never know about them unless somebody invites you to join.  

On the technical level, we assume that people can only invite a FB profile to join a FB group -- or is that an incorrect assumption?  Perhaps that's a pro to maintaining your FB profile as an author rather than just your FB author page.  

J Lea. has stated before that attending FB parties is better as your FB profile than participating as your FB author page.  Wondering if you even have the option to join groups as your FB page rather than your FB profile.  In other words, can someone invite your FB page to join a FB group?

Either way, what does seem clear is that it's becoming increasingly impossible NOT to maintain our FB profile.

#37 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:34 AM

As far as I know (I moderate a group) a page cannot join a group, only a FB profile.

My author profile is at around 3,000 friends but I see more interaction on my page. Of the 3k friends I'm sure 90% are writers and I have only unfriended a small % for spamming and hijacking me into their groups. I'm also kind of over all the drama and back stabbing among a certain genre that gets played out on FB. I tend to use my author profile mainly to admin my page and to join a few groups and have found them great resources and very supportive.

#38 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:29 AM

My author profile is at around 3,000 friends but I see more interaction on my page. Of the 3k friends I'm sure 90% are writers...

Why do you think you have more interaction on your FB page... is it because you -- yourself -- post more on your FB page and so it feeds the circle of interaction?

#39 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

Why do you think you have more interaction on your FB page... is it because you -- yourself -- post more on your FB page and so it feeds the circle of interaction?

When you get up to a couple of thousand friends, things get buried really quickly. I suspect only a tiny % of that 3k would ever see anything I post to my profile, I might only have 1 comment when I post something and sometimes nothing.

I know I have lists and only see updates/news from my top friends, the rest is simply noise, constant book promos and drama about who ripped whose book off. Again that is skewed by having primarily NA romance/erotica writers as "friends". I feel like Jane Goodall at times watching their behaviour and trying to understand the community.... :cool:  

My page (1,200 "likes") tends to comprise mainly fans and people who actually want to follow what I am doing/posting and therefore they interact. An average post on my page reaches about 400 people or a third of my "likes". I have refused to engage in "like" trading (which I see as pointless given the way FB is set up) and the number has grown slowly over the last year as more fans find me.

#40 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

When you get up to a couple of thousand friends, things get buried really quickly. I suspect only a tiny % of that 3k would ever see anything I post to my profile, I might only have 1 comment when I post something and sometimes nothing.

I know I have lists and only see updates/news from my top friends, the rest is simply noise, constant book promos and drama about who ripped whose book off. Again that is skewed by having primarily NA romance/erotica writers as "friends". I feel like Jane Goodall at times watching their behaviour and trying to understand the community.... :cool:  

My page (1,200 "likes") tends to comprise mainly fans and people who actually want to follow what I am doing/posting and therefore they interact. An average post on my page reaches about 400 people or a third of my "likes". I have refused to engage in "like" trading (which I see as pointless given the way FB is set up) and the number has grown slowly over the last year as more fans find me.

This is great information.  We looked at your FB page, AWExley and it seems like you're doing the perfect blend and balance of fan engagement and book promotion.  Are you approaching it that way intentionally, or are you just winging it?

Also, averaging a 400 reach on most of your posts seems pretty excpetional.  What do you think about authors who are dismissing the value of maintaining a FB author page and/or preferring to exclusively use their FB profile?  

We see a lot of complaining by authors about FB pages being "worthless" because FB limits your reach unless you pay, but we don't think that's a) true b) the right way to view FB author pages... and we wonder what someone like you -- who seems to be using their FB author page effectively -- thinks about that common complaint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users