AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

Click on this link: https://www.facebook.com/twitter

You can adjust your settings for either your Facebook profile or your Facebook page.

#2 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

Thanks, AQCrew! I just did this with my FB Author page. Youse guys are the bestest! :biggrin:

Jeanne

#3 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:20 PM

Good to know, although I've always wondered why people would do this and ONLY this, meaning their FB and Twitter streams are basically identical. I suppose there are people who will be following on only one or the other and so won't notice, but there's also going to be a lot of people who will follow you on both. I personally get annoyed when I see a post on Twitter that came from Facebook because chances are it doesn't fit within the tweet limit and you have to click a link through to Facebook to see the rest. And if I already follow on FB, it's a waste of time. And if I don't follow on FB but do follow on Twitter, there's probably a reason for that.

#4 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

Yeah, to link or not to link is definitely something to consider... we did spend time today trying to find out how we linked it in the first place -- so we could unlink it.

That said, we do think that you HAVE to start somewhere, and as a result, there's value in maintaining both an active Facebook page and an active Twitter account as promotional tools.  If you can only do one -- then linking them may be worth it.

Three months ago, we decided that posting on our FB author page was natural for us -- especially when we realized we could create a clickable photo that goes directly to our book's Amazon page, add catchy lines from our book, and shoot it out into the FBsphere and reach 40 different people with every post.  That was a huge revelation.  That's a free banner advertisement for our book, floating around on FB, reaching more than 120 peeps a day if we only post 3 times.  

So we linked our FB page to our Twitter to get maximum mileage.

Now, we realize that if we use the right hashtags on our Facebook posts, it bumps our reach up to 60, 70, sometimes as much as 90 per post.  But almost never less than 40.  That's a wow, wow, wowzer realization.  

So then we started thinking more about Twitter -- and how yes, all those hashtags never make it into the auto-tweets.

And now, we've come to realize that tweets really seem to need proper hashtags to be effective.  Hence, the unlinking...and now, we're currently manually posting 3 tweets per day with twitter pic plus hashtags.  

But if you're just starting out and you're feeling overwhelmed, and there's a risk that you'll do NOTHING rather than some sort of promotional social media post every day -- then we say: pick one and auto-link the other.  In other words, pick posting on your FB page first and have it auto-post to your Twitter account until you get going, and then decide if you're willing to keep going...

#5 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

OMG! YES! This is perfect and wonderful for me. Thanks for the link.

I'm going to keep my profile separate and just link my facebook author page. My facebook page is only seen by about 5 people on average with each post and it's the same 5 people. I know this because they are the only people who like things that I post on there.

I still keep it updated regularly because it's easy to do so. I'm always posting images about reading on there and keeping the funny/more personal images to my profile. It will be perfect for all those images to be linked on my twitter as well instead.

And I'm going to look into doing those clickable image things because as of right now, there are no links on my facebook page pictures, even though my covers are on there.

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

#6 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

My facebook page is only seen by about 5 people on average with each post and it's the same 5 people.

EB! First, I didn't realize I hadn't liked your page. Fixed! Second, I have an idea why the above is happening to you. I checked out your page and all the things you're posting aren't actually being posted BY your page. You're posting as your profile TO your page. When you get on FB and navigate to your page, look at the top. You'll have the dark blue FB navigation bar and right under it is a slightly lighter blue bar that says "You are posting, commenting, and liking as E.b. Black -- Change to E.B. Black" Click that. Looks like your author page name is E.B. all caps but your profile name is E.b. with a lower case b. Which is good, otherwise you'd have a hard time telling the difference without changing one of your names haha.

#7 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Interesting. My first linked post on FB brought in a bunch of followers from Twitter who have now liked my FB page. I'm still experimenting with this, but it looks promising.

Jeanne

#8 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

Ahhh, that's interesting.  You know what?  This reminds us that when we first started, we felt like we were receiving newsfeed items on Facebook for people we weren't even following... bloggers, etc.  But we were following them on Twitter.  And our Twitter and FB were linked at the time.  

This is really sort of a digression, but we're making a note now so we don't forget to check about it later when we set up a new pen name and start experimenting fresh with zero followers and following zero people.

#9 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

ADMIN EDIT:  Split Thread: Facebook customized picture posts discussion is now here: http://agentquerycon...ok-author-page/

#10 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

Okay, some interesting stats from my Facebook/Twitter link experiment.

I picked up 54 likes on my FB page with my first linked post.

Currently, I have 166 "likes" on my FB page, but that linked post (according to FB stats) "reached" 790 people! Impressive.

I'm not quite sure how FB determines a post's "reach," though because it doesn't show that many people "liking" the post. Perhaps they just click on the post to check it out without clicking "like"?

My first thought is that the linking experiment was an unqualified success.

Jeanne

#11 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

Currently, I have 166 "likes" on my FB page, but that linked post (according to FB stats) "reached" 790 people! Impressive.

I'm not quite sure how FB determines a post's "reach," though because it doesn't show that many people "liking" the post. Perhaps they just click on the post to check it out without clicking "like"?

Jeanne

*eyeballs roll out of head after chair flips back and hits floor*

Holy wowzers that's incredible... we've never gotten a "reach" like that. Jeanne -- you have now been officially added to the AQC Mistress of Facebook list (currently along with J. Lea -- ceremony to follow...)

So would the idea be that Facebook is picking up the "reach" of that linked post through its linkage to Twitter...? and somehow also assessing the impressions that it's receiving through Twitter AND FB?

#12 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

I have no idea. :unsure: But...I'm going to try a similar approach next week when I do another plug for my upcoming novel. We'll see what happens.

Jeanne

#13 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

Well cripes... maybe I should link my accounts after all lol. This plus Twitter analytics plus trying to decipher FB insights with Crew.... can anyone spare a few hours in the day so I can actually write? Anyone? lol

#14 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:21 PM

Okay, some interesting stats from my Facebook/Twitter link experiment.

I picked up 54 likes on my FB page with my first linked post.

My first thought is that the linking experiment was an unqualified success.

Jeanne

Also, out of curiosity, how many Twitter followers do you have? Ooooh, and have you checked the Twitter analytics to see what they say about your clicks and whatnot?

*dies under a mountain of social media analytics*

#15 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

Hmm. I have 1362 followers this morning, but it varies by 2-3 every day. Now I have to go check out Twitter analytics. I am soo not a math person! This stuff is fascinating, but it makes my head ache trying to understand what it means.

Jeanne

#16 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

J. Lea Lopez,

The Insights tab on FB is genius! Wow!

A breakdown on what I found out:

Fan page = 166 "Likes"

The linked post had a "reach" of 791.

For that linked post, there were 166 post clicks. (Note that matches up to my fan page likes) and 200 likes, comments, and shares.

Something worked with that post, given that the average reach on prior posts was about 80.

Jeanne

#17 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

So... it looks like when you link your FB and twitter accounts, it doesn't cross-post shares. So if I share a photo from someone else, that doesn't get linked to Twitter.

#18 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

My picture shares actually got posted to twitter, but I changed the settings, so now it's only sharing my status updates because otherwise it was sharing links with no words on them and no preview of what the picture was. No one is going to click on that on twitter.

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

#19 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

Were those photos you uploaded yourself? Or that you shared from other people/pages?

#20 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

My picture shares actually got posted to twitter, but I changed the settings, so now it's only sharing my status updates because otherwise it was sharing links with no words on them and no preview of what the picture was. No one is going to click on that on twitter.

Yeah, we're about to re-link our FB author page to our twitter account, and we're looking at the options closely (click on the image to see it more clearly).

[attachment=8619:Facebook_Twitter_linktool_options.jpg]

In the past, we've only clicked on "Status Updates" but now we're going to click on "Status Updates" and "Photos" and "Links" and then test a "share" post from somebody else's FB page on our FB author page to see how it gets tweeted via the FB/Twitter linkage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users