#21 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

Okay, we just shared a photo posted by someone else on FB on our author FB Page while being linked to Twitter.

FB was glitchy at the time, and gave us an error before posting the share twice on our FB page.

Over on Twitter, it hasn't shown up at all.

A complete experimental failure that concluded absolutely NOTHING.  Going to have to regroup and try again.

In the meantime, we're going to start a new thread to experiment posting on FB while linked to Twitter vs. NOT linked to Twitter in order to see if linkage helps FB reach with original posts.  If Jeanne, J Lea, Darke, and TwitterLily (aka "EB Black" who has 9,000 Twit followers) all take participate in the experiment, we might actually be able to surmise something...

#22 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

Okay, we just shared a photo posted by someone else on FB on our author FB Page while being linked to Twitter.

FB was glitchy at the time, and gave us an error before posting the share twice on our FB page.

Over on Twitter, it hasn't shown up at all.

A complete experimental failure that concluded absolutely NOTHING.  Going to have to regroup and try again.

In the meantime, we're going to start a new thread to experiment posting on FB while linked to Twitter vs. NOT linked to Twitter in order to see if linkage helps FB reach with original posts.  If Jeanne, J Lea, Darke, and TwitterLily (aka "EB Black" who has 9,000 Twit followers) all take participate in the experiment, we might actually be able to surmise something...

^^ That is the exact same thing that happened to me. Got the error several times, then went and realized it had actually posted to my page each time so I had to delete the duplicates. But never showed up on Twitter.

#23 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

Have never been so glad to see someone else experiencing failure.

Okay, so that's great info.  J. Lea -- assume you've shared photos before through your FB page without issue?

So the next experiment is to un-link the Twitter from FB, and try sharing a photo again -- just to see if the glitch spasm goes away.

#24 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

I'll have to try this in a few days. I'm getting ready to leave town to teach a writing workshop, and my Internet connections will be spotty. But I'll check back here to see your results. BTW, my latest linked post had a reach of only 346. It was strictly text, so I'm wondering if a photo makes a difference. I'll try something when I get back. I have a cool .jpg of the map that's going in to my book, so that might be a good choice.

Jeanne

#25 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

Yup, went away after I unlinked. But come to think of it... I didn't get any such error when sharing photos on the FTWA FB page, which I also linked. Hmmm.

#26 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

Well crap. That photo share did get linked to Twitter from FTWA. So now I'll have to re-link my author page and try another share and see what happens.

#27 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

Just tried again and had no error this time, and it posted to Twitter as well.

#28 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

Just tried a new FB original post on our FB author page after re-linking our FB account to our Twitter account.  

Initial thought is --> there's something to this... FB reach of that post is ticking up faster than normal.  

It will be interesting to see what the total reach is at the end of the day.

#29 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:51 PM

I'm not seeing any difference with my author page. However, I linked the FTWA page and Twitter account and while our posts are still getting dismal reach on FB itself, they're getting better engagement on Twitter for the most part. Higher impressions and better engagement than our organic Twitter content. So, yeah... whatever that means lol.

#30 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

Okay, so the results of our experiment FB post concludes NOTHING -- except that the post performed better than any other post in comparison in weeks (except for the one #FREE promo post that had 126 reach and 15 click-throughs)

We got 72 reach (in 24 hours period) and normally we haven't been getting that much reach and 9 click-throughs plus 1 share.  This was a book promotional post so 9 click-throughs on 72 reach is pretty good.  It's certainly not Jeanne's "760 reach number" -- but we have less than 150 followers on Twitter (Jeanne has something like 1600, right?), so we really wonder still if there's a correlation.

We had the reach split between 50 fans vs 22 non-fans.  If the Twitter linkage was making a difference in the FB post's reach, we'd expect that the "non-fan" reach number to be higher.  We'd also expect that the 1 share would muddy the results and skew the results towards more "non-fans" seeing the post.  Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.  That's a tough one to analyze.

What is clear: it's worth it to keep going with the Twitter linkage for a few more trials... especially as we go into the weekend.

Notes for general musings: as we look at our news feed and ponder our own efforts, and notice that multiple posts from accounts we're following are often served up in batches of 5 or 6.  This makes us wonder if it's better to actually send out only ONE really strong promo post per day rather than a bunch of them throughout the day. 

We also wonder how much hashtags matter and how much they affect that "non-fan" reach number.

To be continued...

#31 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

Okay, so here are the results of our second FB post --> after linking the FB page to our Twitter:

After a 24 hour period, again for a purely promotional post for the same book, we got a reach of 72.  Originally, post clicks were 3 and 2 likes. Now, get this --> that changed completely: we went from 3 post clicks this morning to zero this afternoon. EDIT: 4 hours later, it now has 14...whaaaat?

Why did the post clicks drop from 3 to zero?  Yesterday's post clicks dropped from 9 to 8.  Something to definitely watch...

Fan versus non-fan reach: 27 Fan vs. 45 non-fan.  So double non-fans than fans.  

The FB post's linked tweet DID get retweet by a trendy book outlet with 3000 followers -- so again, nothing conclusive, but certainly something to ponder.

This pen name has almost 1000 FB fans, so we're averaging within the 1-2% average if you're only looking at the fan reach, which is 27.  We're certainly not knocking it out of the park, but we're not feeling like it's a fruitless effort either because of the complexities of it all.

We're going to stick with only one post per day.  We think there's something to that.

#32 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

Personally, I'm surprised that you're getting such a small average reach with almost 1,000 fans. Then again, the only thing I have to compare to are my own page and the FTWA page. For J. Lea Lopez I have 419 likes and my reach is almost always at least 20 of my own fans, which is about 5% of my fan base. And I'd say a good 75-80% of the time I'm getting 50-100 fans reached, and I can hit more than 100 reached at least once or twice a week. Just don't freaking ask me how, because I don't know. Like I said in another thread, it's just magic... lol

#33 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

Personally, I'm surprised that you're getting such a small average reach with almost 1,000 fans. Then again, the only thing I have to compare to are my own page and the FTWA page. For J. Lea Lopez I have 419 likes and my reach is almost always at least 20 of my own fans, which is about 5% of my fan base. And I'd say a good 75-80% of the time I'm getting 50-100 fans reached, and I can hit more than 100 reached at least once or twice a week. Just don't freaking ask me how, because I don't know. Like I said in another thread, it's just magic... lol

You are so not getting off the hook by claiming it's magic.

Yes, absolutely -- this is the heart of the entire thread, right?  A). reach has nothing to do with the amount of your fans B). What is it about each post that makes it reach further than other posts?

Our posts have strictly been promo book posts.  So maybe FB's algo is limiting our fan reach because we're basically promoting the same thing over and over... maybe, just maybe.  If that's what's going on, it would be awesome to know.  Also, we haven't shared many posts from others -- and we're going to start doing that more.  And we're going to do more of the popular" text sayings/quotes that everyone uses... those get a ton of traction (where to people find those, BTW?  Or do they just find the quotes and make the "quote/saying" art themselves?)

Jeanne said she had something like 150 FB followers, but her first FB linked post to Twitter scored a reach of 760.  What was it about that post that ruled the world?  Was it the Twitter linkage?  What it the type of post and its content?  How many fans vs. non-fans did it have...We assume the number of non-fans must be crazy high -- but what if FB isn't reporting that?  And a thousand other questions that may lead us to no conclusion with only one data point, but collectively, we can crack the FB algo code -- no doubt.  

#34 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:57 PM

I honestly wish I knew. I kind of wish I could just show you my entire Insights page because I've been trying to crack the code and I can't. Posts with no hashtags sometimes do really well some with two hashtags see very little reach. Link posts do somewhat well a good portion of the time, occasionally blowing up into the hundreds of people, but also occasionally languishing with less than 30 people reached. I don't know if it's time of day, day of the week, or what combination it is. The number of likes or clicks doesn't always correlate to the overall reach, either. It's mind-boggling.

A recent post where I shared someone's picture and I said something about it (it was about using the card catalog), and didn't use any hashtags, had 13 likes, 5 comments, 0 shares, 2 post clicks to view the photo. And it ended up with 128 people reached, 117 fans/11 non-fans. A post where I shared a link and used two hashtags had 6 likes, 2 comments, 1 share. The reach was 627 total - 117 fans/510 non. I don't see the share on the post itself here either, but the insights say it was shared once with one comment on the share. (I think maybe that has to do with privacy settings of the sharer?) I guess shares can increase your reach. But then there was a link post that had 8 likes, 2 comments, 1 share, 6 post clicks and only reached 90 people (81/9). And that was about a penis shaped cloud! I mean, come on, how could that not reach more people?? :tongue:

The one thing I do know is that the majority of my posts are not promotional, so maybe you do have something there. I've also had a weird thing going on the past week where I've had 5 unlikes on my page, which is more in a short span of time than I've ever had. But I've also been posting a bit more frequently the past month or so, so maybe that has something to do with it. People who'd liked me in the past for whatever reason (I've done a few of those like-for-like swaps) but who hadn't really been seeing my posts until recently, and decided they didn't want to see them, maybe? lol Who knows. I wish I knew what it all meant.

#35 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:03 PM

And that's not even mentioning the status post from earlier this evening where I used the hashtags #sex and #fantasy and have so far gathered TWO people who've seen it. One fan, one non-fan. No likes or shares. Maybe they limit reach for potentially NSFW tags like sex?

#36 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:51 PM

Howdy! I'm back online before heading home tomorrow from teaching a writing workshop! As part of our ongoing experiment, I just posted on my FB page (linked to Twitter) a photo with the following hashtags: #debutnovel #histfic #maps.

My theory is that posts do better with photos rather than just text, but we'll see what happens. BTW, I have 168 official "likes" on the FB page and 1363 followers on Twitter. For some reason, it seems the FB page has a greater reach. Go figure.

Will let you know my results.

UPDATE: So, I learned one thing about hashtags with this experiment. If your FB post is too long for Twitter and the hashtags are at the end of the FB post, they will NOT appear on your Twitter post! However, the hashtags on my FB post appeared to be live links, so I tried clicking on them to see where they went. Surprise, surprise! FB has its own lists of hashtags! Who knew?? The map hashtag was the most interesting result because it took me to a list where people had posted photos of maps and some musical group calls "Maps."

The stats from that post on maps after 24 hours:

Reach = 140

Post Clicks = 18

Comments and Shares = 24

I also picked up 2 page "likes."

This post wasn't nearly as successful as the author photo post, but it wasn't too bad. And the reach seems to be going up today with more clicks and likes, so maybe Sunday isn't the best day to post? It's possible more people are on FB during the week at work. :tongue:

Jeanne

#37 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:49 PM

UPDATE: So, I learned one thing about hashtags with this experiment. If your FB post is too long for Twitter and the hashtags are at the end of the FB post, they will NOT appear on your Twitter post! However, the hashtags on my FB post appeared to be live links, so I tried clicking on them to see where they went. Surprise, surprise! FB has its own lists of hashtags! Who knew?? The map hashtag was the most interesting result because it took me to a list where people had posted photos of maps and some musical group calls "Maps."

Great update, Jeanne.  Yeah, we saw this early on about FB hashtags, and that's what got us thinking about FB and Twitter and the use of effective hashtags. 

Also, like you, we've completed three experimental posts now since re-linking our Twitter account to our FB author page -- all three posts have been book promo posts for the same book.  Different photos, different text, but basically the same hashtags (more or less)

The first two posts DID have short intro text ---> so almost all of the hashtags at the end of the FB post ended up in the linked Twitter post.  For this reason, we assumed that we were getting our main FB reach from that -- about 70 total for post #1 and #2 and about half of that was non-fan reach.

But get this: post #3 didn't get any of its hashtags pulled into the Twitter post; its intro text was too long.  But its current reach in a 24 hour period is about the same as the first two posts: 81 total reach; 37 fans, 44 non-fans.  So the twitter hashtags didn't seem to matter for #3.

What is sort of interesting --> for every book promo post, we make customized linked photos to our book on Amazon, and FB is calling these post type "links" not timeline "photos", despite the fact that the majority of the post is actually a customized photo.  Do FB algo's care abut post type?

FYI: We just tried a new thing today -- posted only a photo with no other words, no hashtags, and actually made the effort to deleted the linked Tweet from our Twitter feed.  FB is recognizing the post type as a timeline photo.

It's actually not even a striking visual photo.  Just one of those text photo thingys.

Really, wondering at this point how well it will do....

#38 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

This thread is proving to be quite the education in using social media! I love all the contributions, ideas, thoughts, etc., but I am sooo not a numbers person! After a while, these statistics make my head ache. But still, it's for a good cause, so we must go on...

Jeanne

#39 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

Jeanne,

It's totally true.  After awhile, it seems like, whaaaaat?  You actually think you're gonna figure out FB's algorithm, fools?  Psshaaaw.

BTW, our most recent FB post is languishing with only 8 reached thus far after 3 hours.  And what's even more interesting is that you could tell within the first hour that it had no momentum and that it was just going. to die.  

So yeah.  You can figure out these things.  And if you don't, you're going to waste a lot of your time using social media ineffectively.

#40 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

Okay, so that last post was an official #fail.

Just to recap to-date: 

Promo book post #1 - 98 total reach/ 55 fans vs. 43 non-fans

Promo book post #2 - 85 total reach/ 31 fans vs. 54 non-fans

Promo book post #3 - 86 total reach/ 41 fans vs. 45 non-fans --> NOTE: this post had no comments or likes and had almost the same reach

Timeline Photo Post #4 - 11 total reach/ 8 fans vs. 3 non-fans  #EPICFAIL

So here's the new theory: the more engagement, the more traction a post gets....

The conventional wisdom already knew this -- get people to like/comments/share your posts and FB will show your posts to more of your fans. But that's an over-simplification of what's actually going on because we now know for certainty: a) people are seeing your FB posts who are NOT your fans and b) engagement is not just measured by shares/comments/likes

In other words, if you're uploading a photo to an FB posts, it might be better to add ways for people to also "click" on your post (e.g. hashtags, making the photo itself clickable, a mini-link to something else of interest) in order to inherently increase user engagement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users