#1 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

Did you know you could change the metadata between Amazon sites? So you could put up one ebook cover on the US site, and put up a totally different file on the UK site. Apparently this applies to the text files too.

I didn't and I'm looking more into this.

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#2 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

That's useful when you have a book that has been translated into different languages.

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

#3 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

I'm still doing some research on it, but it coming across as being a lot of work. Yes, it would be a great thing if you can get your MS in different languages.

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

#4 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:48 PM

Does it involve publishing the same book multiple times but only allowing each one to be sold in the desired country? I can't imagine how else it would work.

#5 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

From what I understand, Jen, yes you upload files separately on each site. You have to tick off the different distribution channels for each one. For the US site, you'd tick off all the other Amazon sites and allow the file you've uploaded only be sold on the US site, and then go to the UK site, tick off all the channels so that file would only be sold in the UK.

You still need to have a new email address for each site. That seems to be the only drawback.   

#6 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

If you go to the amazon.ca and register as a user on that site with an email address, you can then do this...

Same thing with amazon.co.uk

But you can't turn around and try to login the amazon.com with that same email address.  

It will error out and tell you that you that you've already registered as a user on the amazon.co.uk site (or whatever it is...)

#7 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Yes, new email addy for each site.  :smile:

#8 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

And then, you login via each email and upload the manuscript for, say... Amazon Canada with all its "bouts" and "centres" and "favours" and then click only the territory for Canada, right?

Then, you can control the categories and the keywords (and the spelling of those keywords) separately from what you've listed on the Amazon.com or Amazon UK site -- is that the idea?

#9 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

That's what I'm learning. I haven't tried it yet, but if this is right, you could put a French translated book up on a site and have it only sell to Amazon.fr. 

I'm still researching this. I need to find someone who's actually done it on more than a few sites.

#10 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

Yeah, it's smart.

Because the main reason books in English don't sell well in Germany isn't because Germans don't read a ton of English books -- it's because they're not easily finding them on the Amazon.de site because books in English on the Amazon.de site are using the keywords that we put into the Amazon.com site (unless you do Darke's trick and upload them separately with distinct metadata). And those Amazon.com keywords are NOT very effective for reaching a totally different foreign market on the Amazon.de site. *raise your hand if you followed that, you get a blueberry vanilla swirl sucker*

Sort of a digression, but we have a partner who's been experimenting with publishing books on Amazon.es.

Interestingly, he said one of the biggest barriers is that Spaniards A) haven't adapted to ordering online with frequency and urgency the way that Brits and Americans have (some of that is obvious economic differences)  B) Spaniards absolutely do NOT use their credit cards for $1.00 purchases.  That's a completely foreign concept in Spain -- charging a one dollar purchase on a credit card.  

That is a huge cultural difference -- and a distinct sales barrier.

#11 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, it's smart.

Because the main reason books in English don't sell well in Germany isn't because Germans don't read a ton of English books -- it's because they're not easily finding them on the Amazon.de site because books in English on the Amazon.de site are using the keywords that we put into the Amazon.com site (unless you do Darke's trick and upload them separately with distinct metadata). And those Amazon.com keywords are NOT very effective for reaching a totally different foreign market on the Amazon.de site. *raise your hand if you followed that, you get a blueberry vanilla swirl sucker*

Sort of a digression, but we have a partner who's been experimenting with publishing books on Amazon.es.

Interestingly, he said one of the biggest barriers is that Spaniards A) haven't adapted to ordering online with frequency and urgency the way that Brits and Americans have (some of that is obvious economic differences)  B) Spaniards absolutely do NOT use their credit cards for $1.00 purchases.  That's a completely foreign concept in Spain -- charging a one dollar purchase on a credit card.  

That is a huge cultural difference -- and a distinct sales barrier.

This would be a big barrier with other sites as well, and one advantage Amazon has over Google. Yes, it's great you can upload your book to the 150 countries that Google apps are available in, but like you said, how many non-English speaking people are going to purchase it.  

#12 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

Interesting. Could you use a single account and just upload multiple versions of a book that you only publish to certain markets with the corresponding cover/language/metadata? Or is there something in Amazon's TOS about not doing that?

#13 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

We believe that you can do it that way, but the idea is that you won't gain the full ability to customize categories per territory.  Instead, they will give you the categories available for the Amazon.com site (assuming that's your main registered site) -- which is not an exact match for how they have categories listed on the foreign sites.

#14 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:56 PM

We believe that you can do it that way, but the idea is that you won't gain the full ability to customize categories per territory.  Instead, they will give you the categories available for the Amazon.com site (assuming that's your main registered site) -- which is not an exact match for how they have categories listed on the foreign sites.

Exactly. You have to go to each site individually, and make a new account with a brand new email in order to upload new files to each site. 

#15 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

Ah, I gotcha. I was just thinking in terms of the seven keywords/phrases that you input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users