#1 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

Posting to our Facebook author page is natural for us, especially when we realized we could create a clickable photo that goes directly to our book's Amazon page...

How do you do this??? You mean literally clicking the photo will take you to the link? Or are you just uploading the photo and including the link in the description? That's what I do.

#2 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

1. First, you make sure you do it on your FB page -- because we don't think it works on your profile posts because it's basically direct promotion and that's what pages are for... (could be wrong -- haven't tried it on the profile side)

2. You copy the full amazon link of your book into the place where it says: "What have you been up to lately"  It won't work if you put a shortened Amazon link.  It has to be the full link -- and if you do multiple posts -- it has to be a slightly different one each time.  We find out book via keywords, so that's no problem, because each time the link is slightly different.

3. You wait until Facebook autofills with the book's photo AND the description of your book.  Then, you click on the button that will appear that says "UPLOAD IMAGE" -- this is where you can change the auto-filled image of your book's cover to anything you want.  We spent $20 on 20 different awesome low res stock images from 123ft.com for a buck each.  There are other free image sites you can use as well.  Personally, we think you should avoid using images that you don't have the rights to... we know that everyone is doing it on FB.  But we think photographers are starting to get clued in... and over-the-long term, you don't want a copyright lawsuit.

4. IMPORTANT: You have to resize the image to be 560 (W) x 292 (H) -- otherwise, this trick will not work.  Yes, it takes time to do that with all the photos, and you have to make sure that the photos you pick will be the right resolution and orientation for this... all of that is ---> WORK.  For sure.  But we think, work that's totally worth it.  And once you do it once, it's done and you can also use that resized 560x292 pic on Twitter.

5. Finally, you can modify the auto-fill description below the picture.  We remove everything except the title of the book, which is also inherently clickable.

6. At the very top, where you originally put the amazon link, go back and delete the link and replace it with a catchy phrase and hashtags (again, we're planning to post more about this...)

The result?  You've now got a clickable customized image that goes directly to your Amazon book page and the book's clickable title underneath the customized photo.  It's very elegant and it works.  

We no longer put any links in the description.  And for months, we've reviewed all the click-through data on the analytics, and it's amazing to watch which photos --paired with which phrases -- get more click-throughs, likes, and better "reach" than others.  It really teaches you a ton about what works and what doesn't when attempting to promote your book to its target audience.

#3 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

1. First, you make sure you do it on your FB page -- because we don't think it works on your profile posts because it's basically direct promotion and that's what pages are for... (could be wrong -- haven't tried it on the profile side)

2. You copy the full amazon link of your book into the place where it says: "What have you been up to lately"  It won't work if you put a shortened Amazon link.  It has to be the full link -- and if you do multiple posts -- it has to be a slightly different one each time.  We find out book via keywords, so that's no problem, because each time the link is slightly different.

3. You wait until Facebook autofills with the book's photo AND the description of your book.  Then, you click on the button that will appear that says "UPLOAD IMAGE" -- this is where you can change the auto-filled image of your book's cover to anything you want.  We spent $20 on 20 different awesome low res stock images from 123ft.com for a buck each.  There are other free image sites you can use as well.  Personally, we think you should avoid using images that you don't have the rights to... we know that everyone is doing it on FB.  But we think photographers are starting to get clued in... and over-the-long term, you don't want a copyright lawsuit.

4. IMPORTANT: You have to resize the image to be 560 (W) x 292 (H) -- otherwise, this trick will not work.  Yes, it takes time to do that with all the photos, and you have to make sure that the photos you pick will be the right resolution and orientation for this... all of that is ---> WORK.  For sure.  But we think, work that's totally worth it.  And once you do it once, it's done and you can also use that resized 560x292 pic on Twitter.

5. Finally, you can modify the auto-fill description below the picture.  We remove everything except the title of the book, which is also inherently clickable.

6. At the very top, where you originally put the amazon link, go back and delete the link and replace it with a catchy phrase and hashtags (again, we're planning to post more about this...)

The result?  You've now got a clickable customized image that goes directly to your Amazon book page and the book's clickable title underneath the customized photo.  It's very elegant and it works.  

We no longer put any links in the description.  And for months, we've reviewed all the click-through data on the analytics, and it's amazing to watch which photos --paired with which phrases -- get more click-throughs, likes, and better "reach" than others.  It really teaches you a ton about what works and what doesn't when attempting to promote your book to its target audience.

Holy s***. This is amazing. I've uploaded new pics for links before but didn't know this cool secret stuff! I'm definitely gonna give it a try this weekend. I only ever use pics I've purchased or that I find on freeimages.com (formerly Stock Exchange) which has some decent stuff depending on what you're looking for. And I have some 123rf credits too. *rubs hands together* I could kiss you, Crew! I love learning new tricks like this!

#4 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

Okay, I just did my first one. That's cool! I'll be interested to see if gets the visibility of my usual link posts (not so great) or more like my usual photo posts (much better).

#5 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

For me, it was a complete flop. The post didn't get any more visibility than other posts on Facebook, was retweeted twice by friend on Twitter (who will always RT my book stuff without me asking if they see it lol) and I didn't see any sales as a result. I posted it on a Saturday afternoon around 4:30pm, which is a decent time when a lot of my followers are online according to my insights. Maybe I just need to find better hashtags and write something catchier. I don't have a very good feel for hashtags that are popular on FB yet. I'll keep experimenting.

#6 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

For me, it was a complete flop. The post didn't get any more visibility than other posts on Facebook, was retweeted twice by friend on Twitter (who will always RT my book stuff without me asking if they see it lol) and I didn't see any sales as a result. I posted it on a Saturday afternoon around 4:30pm, which is a decent time when a lot of my followers are online according to my insights. Maybe I just need to find better hashtags and write something catchier. I don't have a very good feel for hashtags that are popular on FB yet. I'll keep experimenting.

Hey, sorry to hear this...  but just keep in mind that it's really hard to conclude anything for only one post.  We do a lot of the same posts -- over and over again -- at different times and with the same phrases, just tweaking the photos sometimes or just tweaking one hashtag to try to compare "reach" results.  And from that, we get a feel for what photos paired with which phrases are "reaching" readers.

There's something about the #fiction #reading #ebooks hashtags.  Try experimenting with one plus genre plus price qualifier vs. all of them etc.  Yeah, you have to be willing to spend time on it.  It's sort of a project, no doubt.

Also, we will note that a reader commented on one of first FB posts and then three posts down from that, commented: "okay, you've convinced me, I just one-clicked."  So it takes a lot for readers to actually buy.  You have to "convince them in that moment to do it."  That's a tall order, really.  We're really more interested in what drives "reach" and in the best cases, clicks that can be measured.  Sales would be nice but it's almost impossible to figure that direct correlation unless the reader tells you.  

Then, you say: well, why do it if it doesn't sell anything.  And we would say: it likely does but you just will never know it.  You are getting your name in front of readers over and over again.  Even if they don't buy anything, they just saw your name as an author, and there is power in that.

But yeah, you have to get them to click-through...and you have to see that happening through FB's page analytics.

#7 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

My only concern is at what point am I spamming my followers for the sake of reaching people beyond those who already like my page? On the day I posted the picture experiment I had one person hide my posts according to the insights lol. I think on Twitter it might be a little easier to post a few times a week without it feeling like spam because the feed goes by so quickly. But since FB selectively serves posts to seemingly the same group of people, I worry about looking like a promo whore.

#8 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

My only concern is at what point am I spamming my followers for the sake of reaching people beyond those who already like my page? On the day I posted the picture experiment I had one person hide my posts according to the insights lol. I think on Twitter it might be a little easier to post a few times a week without it feeling like spam because the feed goes by so quickly. But since FB selectively serves posts to seemingly the same group of people, I worry about looking like a promo whore.

Yeah, this is a valid concern.  

But if one follower hides your posts after ONE post then either A) they are not your target audience or B) they were somehow severely turned off by the photo -- which means... A) they are likely not your target audience

Additionally, you have to ask yourself then: what's the point of my FB page if I'm reluctant to post to it?  It's a really great question.

In the old days, you'd post once and it would reach all your followers, right?

So those days are gone.  So maybe you just post a ton during the week of a new book release and no other time?

Yes, you could do that.  But we've decided that's not what we WANT to do.

Instead, we're experimenting and asking ourselves: what is FB doing with its reach limitations?  People think it's solely to force people to pay to increase their reach, but we think FB is smarter than that...

We don't have more answers now for you, but we will say that we have an arsenal of about 20-30 customized picture posts that we rotate.  Not all of our followers are seeing them, so we know we're not spamming anyone.  

And the posts are original enough -- with interesting photos -- that they have merit on their own.  They're kinda like little photo poems -- so whether or not you care about the book or not -- there's inherent value in seeing and reading the post, assuming you are our book's target audience in the first place.

All that said, with the right use of hashtags, we're pretty convinced our FB posts -- like Twitter -- are reaching people who aren't even following us.  That's a huge part of the experiment.

#9 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

I do post fairly regularly to my page, just not promotional posts usually. And I've experienced what you're talking about where posts reach people who aren't following me. Now and then I have posts that reach 100, 200 or more people than I have page likes. None of those are posts about my book, though... lol. Facebook is such a strange beast sometimes.

#10 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

So we just did a giveaway but forgot to use the #giveaway hashtag.  *waaaaah waaaah*

That said, we did use #FREE as the first word in the post and at the end we added our book's #genre and #reading #fiction

It's definitely our best performing post this week with 121 reached and 16 click-throughs.  

And half of those click-throughs came after the giveaway already happened, which is sort of an interesting benefit of running a giveaway because the FB post continues to float around -- even after the fact -- and people will still be motivated to see it and click.

#11 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

I do post fairly regularly to my page, just not promotional posts usually. And I've experienced what you're talking about where posts reach people who aren't following me. Now and then I have posts that reach 100, 200 or more people than I have page likes. 

So why do you think that's happening...? Is it purely happening for your posts that garner obvious extended reach when your followers "like" or share that particular post?

#12 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

So why do you think that's happening...? Is it purely happening for your posts that garner obvious extended reach when your followers "like" or share that particular post?

Good question... So I dug around in my insights some more. I discovered I could view engagement in different ways, including how many fans/nonfans saw each post. Who knew?! I never looked at it much besides a brief look at how many total people saw each post. So anyway, I too screen shots of the last four posts where the reach exceeded my total page likes. Three of the four were links. In fact, my link posts actually do better than I thought. I'm not sure if that's a recent change, or if I was just delusional previously in thinking those posts didn't do as well as photo posts. Anyway, that's not the whole point for now.

Attached File  FB engagement.png   71.92KB   3 downloads

These posts reached an OVERWHELMING number of non-fans compared to fans. Here's some more info about each:

1. Hashtags: #stereotypes #beauty - I don't remember this particular link being widely shared among my FB friends, and I have the trending topics and stuff hidden on my timeline, but I think posting about those popular or trending stories can increase your post reach. And that makes me wonder if some of the reason this post took off had to do with the "stereotypes" hashtag and how the social media buzz about events in Ferguson may have pushed this post into some people's feeds even though it wasn't about that. I could be totally wrong, and maybe I am. I'm just pulling stuff out of my a** at this point lol
  2. Shared a video from the Fifty Shades page (it was the movie trailer). Used hashtags #FiftyShades and #FSoG
  3. Link to a photo-heavy article about "real men's bodies" and the link preview had a good image in it. No hashtags. But I did mention David Beckham, so...? lol
  4. Shared a photo from the Fifty Shades page (along with my commentary about it looking like Knight Rider haha) and used hashtags #50shades and #FiftyShades

So I don't know what it all means, really. I wouldn't think one share would have a huge effect, but maybe it does. I don't often have shares on my posts, and then if I do it's usually just one. A link post back in May had three likes and three shares and reached 241 people, 90% of whom were non-fans. And I didn't use any hashtags on that one either. But then... is FB just measuring how many people are seeing a link (or photo, or whatever) originating from my page and not necessarily those who saw MY PAGE post it? In which case, unless it's my book link or a photo with my FB URL, does that really mean anything for me and my page/author brand? Because you can remove the "via so-and-so" attribution when you share someone's link, so there's no guarantee anyone seeing a link shared by one of my fans is seeing where it came from.

But now I'm making my head hurt so I'm going to stop talking.

#13 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

Some great info here: so going to try to dissect it a bit.

But first things first... how/where are you viewing these stats?

So I dug around in my insights some more. I discovered I could view engagement in different ways, including how many fans/nonfans saw each post. Who knew?! 

#14 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

When you click the insights tab at the top of your page you'll get a secondary menu with overview, likes, reach, visits, posts, people. Click Posts and scroll down past the graph of when your fans are online. OR!! I just this very second noticed you can click Post Types and you'll get a bit more info (for instance, it confirms that I absolutely was delusional, because my link posts get the best reach out of the three different types of posts) as well as a list of all of your published posts. At the top of that list are two drop down menus where you can change how the colored bars for reach and engagement are displayed.

#15 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

Holy wowzers... you rock.

INSIGHTS --> POST --> Reach: Organic/Paid --> Drop-Down -> Reach: Fans/Non-Fans

That is gold.

#16 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

Yep. I could get lost in all that data lol.

#17 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:01 PM

Crew - can I confirm the pik size please. You have: 560 (W) x 292 (H)

So the image will be banner-like? This won't work with a book cover which is longer than it is wider?

#18 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:36 PM

Crew - can I confirm the pik size please. You have: 560 (W) x 292 (H)

So the image will be banner-like? This won't work with a book cover which is longer than it is wider?

Yeah, so everything has to be cropped down to the 560 x 292 dimensions -- and we rarely use our book cover (actually, never).  We find cool landscape-orient stock photos and use that to evoke a mood that's related to text from our novels.

We use Photoshop and set the background to 560 x 292, and then copy and paste images over the background and save them.  Sometimes, we paint the background to a color and sometimes we just keep it white.  Yeah, they're basically all banners that are sized 560 x 292.

The other trick is that it can't be a shortened link to your book on Amazon.  It has to be a full link -- so it's best if you can browse to your book (we use keywords to do that), click on the book, and then copy and paste the full link.

#19 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:39 PM

I loathe Photoshop, I had the trial version and it frustrated the heck out of me.

I did 560 x 292 but did it the other way round, which is probably why it didn't work. Will keep at it and report back. thank you  :smile:

#20 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:55 PM

You could try Infranview.  There's another more popular free photo editor... but can't remember what it's called.  Something that starts with a *g*

You can open the stock image in Infranview, then -->EDIT --> Create custom crop section -->resize to 450 x 292 (or whatever...)

Then, save the file.

Then, start again... IMAGE --> Create New (empty) image --> set W and H to 560 & 292

Then, go to EDIT --> insert overlay/watermark image ->make transparency 0%, coordinates 00,00, and click on the "center" radio buttton for proper overlay orientation.  And browse to select your file that's 450 x 292.

Just tried it... it works.  But our version of Infranview is super-old. Version 4.33 -- so things might be different now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users