#1 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:31 AM

This is an extremely interesting topic that is getting more attention because it's occurring more and more frequently... Books from popular authors -- published years ago -- are being plagiarized and resubmitted under new author names and covers on Amazon.

Here's an example of one book that's being accused of plagiarism -- it's currently ranked in the paid 2000s at $2.99 and it's currently being advertised through many of the popular discounted eblast services.

We're going to leave off author names and book titles because we don't want to add to this specific controversy -- but you can read the opening paragraphs and see for yourself the reason why readers are crying "plagiarism":

Opening Paragraph of alleged "copy cat" novel:

"Drive, Barnes!"

Draped in a white robe of satin and lace, Carina dived into the waiting limo, skidding over the expansive white leather seats and then sneaking a look out of the dark tinted windows before desperately asking the chauffeur to drive again.

Confused, the chauffeur began protesting. But Miss--"

"I said, drive now!" Carina demanded, struggling with the netting of the veil which clung to her face as she pulled it away.

Surprised by her ferociousness, Barnes hit the gas faster than he would have usually done, the tires of the car squealing against the tarmac as Carina's head snapped back due to the force. Carina sighed, her whole body being filled with relief as the car moved forward as it put more distance between her and the church. She could not believe that she had actually done it. She had done it! She had escaped and she was free!

Opening paragraph of the original work by a National bestselling author:

"Drive, Jaynes!"

In a blur of white and satin, Louisa dove into the waiting limousine, slid across the expansive leather seats, then with a furtive look out the tinted windows, issued the desperate order again.

Befuddled, her driver started to protest. "But-"

"Now!" Lou demanded, frantically battling the clinging net of her veil from her face.

Startled by her vehemence, her drivers' usually light foot hit the accelerator hard. Tires squealed as her head snapped back from the unexpected jolt.

Lou blinked, then sighed with overwhelming relief as the big car swiftly lengthened the distance between herself and the church. Between expectation and duty and the marriage she'd never wanted.

She'd done it!  She'd escaped!

#2 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

Wow.

#3 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

It's happening more and more. This author had her "clean" romance plagiarised and sex scenes added. If you read the full story it gets more and more bizarre as the plagiarizing author variously claims she had permission or that the original idea was hers and she gave it to the first author.

http://rachelannnune...-plagarism.html

And here's another:

http://aubreyrosewri...en-plagiarized/

And those are just ones I've seen in blogs in the last couple of weeks. There was the huge storm last year over Bella Jewel's book being stolen by Ella Stone - who even stole the pen name!  :unsure:

#4 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

Why do people even think they can get away with this?

Also, why bother to go to all the trouble of just changing a few words here and there or the order of the words? You could instead write your own book with that much effort!

I don't get angry at people who pirate books or people who write one star reviews to the degree that most authors do....but this....this right here, this plagiarism makes me furious.

Not only might it make self-publishing more difficult for all of us in the future, but it is also a complete rip-off of an authors work. We all work so hard and get so little reward in exchange, it's just disgusting.

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

#5 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

Also, why bother to go to all the trouble of just changing a few words here and there or the order of the words? You could instead write your own book with that much effort!

I would imagine because it is much easier, why come up with your own plot, characters, scenes when you can just lift someone else's? It would be like doing an edit pass and you could reshape an 80k novel in under a week and throw it up on Amazon.

Plus romance readers are voracious, you could make a few thousand dollars in sales before anyone notices. There's another case (I'll try and remember the book) that was ranked top 100 overall on Amazon and had glowing reviews on a number of blogs before someone pointed out it was a plagiarized book, and the "author" had taken 2 best selling novels and mashed them together. There were a number of embarrassed bloggers (some who reviewed the original book) who didn't notice. 

It makes me angry too and slightly grateful for the position in obscurity, I doubt I will ever have to worry about it. Perhaps its time Amazon implemented some sort of plagiarism software to check for too many points of similarity? If universities can do it for papers surely it could be applied to novels? 

#6 Jinsune

Jinsune

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published four flash fictions.

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:48 PM

I would imagine because it is much easier, why come up with your own plot, characters, scenes when you can just lift someone else's? It would be like doing an edit pass and you could reshape an 80k novel in under a week and throw it up on Amazon.

Plus romance readers are voracious, you could make a few thousand dollars in sales before anyone notices. There's another case (I'll try and remember the book) that was ranked top 100 overall on Amazon and had glowing reviews on a number of blogs before someone pointed out it was a plagiarized book, and the "author" had taken 2 best selling novels and mashed them together. There were a number of embarrassed bloggers (some who reviewed the original book) who didn't notice. 

Are you serious? It takes that long (the point of where the author could make thousands of dollars) before someone notices they plagiarized? I also don't understand why anyone would want to steal another person's work? What benefit does it have when it's not your own?

#7 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

Are you serious? It takes that long (the point of where the author could make thousands of dollars) before someone notices they plagiarized? I also don't understand why anyone would want to steal another person's work? What benefit does it have when it's not your own?

Do you realise a top selling book will clear a few thousand dollars in a week? That's all it takes, 7 days and *bang* the person responsible can disappear with wads of cash. As to why? Financial, pure and simple. Take a best seller, plagiarise it, make some quick money and move on to the next one. The NA erotic romance market is boiling hot and the readers are voracious, this happens time after time.

#8 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

Right now, it looks like the copy cat book was removed from Amazon.  Interesting.

Before that, it was ranked paid 2000s -- which means it was selling about 40-50 copies per day at $2.99, so it was netting about $2.00 per sale/KU/KOLL borrow (after Amazon takes its sales commission).  That's netting between $80-$100 per day.  

Amazon makes authors wait 60 days before doling out payments -- to reconcile issues like this... and others.

What's interesting is that this copy cat "author" still has other books still listed on Amazon, but they're not selling as well -- likely because the book described above was being recently being marketed through the popular discount eblasts -- so the person knew enough about self-publishing and the various marketing/promotional resources to try to make a go of re-publishing it for pure profit.

In some ways, it does so you that if you know what you're doing, yes... you can do quite well self-publishing.  

#9 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:55 PM

The ones I saw were top 100 and selling 1,000 copies/day. Maybe the reach of Bookbub, market saturation & the trend to instalments/serials is making plagirism less financially lucrative?

#10 Jinsune

Jinsune

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published four flash fictions.

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

Yes, I know that it doesn't take long for some books to reach a bestselling list including self-published works. I was just taking into consideration the time it takes to do the marketing if the author is doing it him/herself, getting a cover designed, etc. It would probably also depend on the genre as well and what readers are looking for that would determined whether or not a book get purchased. Even though the book could make that much money in a few days, Amazon has the 60 day waiting period before authors can collect money. I'm assuming that two month-long wait begins after the writer requests payment (I don't know how Amazon does this since I don't have works published let alone anything on Amazon).

I have to agree that it's interesting that the other books haven't been pulled from Amazon, or at least checked to see if anything inside of them were lifted from other books.

#11 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

Why do people even think they can get away with this?

I don't get angry at people who pirate books or people who write one star reviews to the degree that most authors do....but this....this right here, this plagiarism makes me furious.

Not only might it make self-publishing more difficult for all of us in the future, but it is also a complete rip-off of an authors work. We all work so hard and get so little reward in exchange, it's just disgusting.

I DO get angry at people who pirate books--it is stealing plain and simple. This is just another form of stealing.  And they think they can get away with it because, mostly, they can. Most publishers have staff members looking for pirated copies but these would be harder to find. Eventually there will be software that can compare for significant similarities--there may be already because there is for term papers and Universities use it.  But so what? The average author doesn't have the $$ for lawsuits and legal teams.  

Sigh. Sad really how many people have no basic morality.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#12 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:47 PM

Update - at least one has been caught and will appear in court. Distressing though to see the list of aliases and that she was soliciting ARCs from authors and had/was intending to plagiarise far more than just one indie.

http://johndopp.com/...mullens-busted/

#13 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

Update - at least one has been caught and will appear in court. Distressing though to see the list of aliases and that she was soliciting ARCs from authors and had/was intending to plagiarise far more than just one indie.

http://johndopp.com/...mullens-busted/

If you can stomach reading this article... it's unbelievably bizarre and shocking.  Especially the photos towards the end.

If you have provided a copy of your work to Tiffanie Rushton or any of her other aliases, you may be at risk. Rushton’s fake identities include:

• Sam Taylor Mullens
  • Lucy Evans
  • Jennifer Greer
  • Macey Forbush
  • Abigail Forbush
  • Abby Forbush
  • Abigail Booklover Forbush
  • Jennifer Booklover
  • Mecedes Booklover Drakos
  • Emma Koster
  • Bethany Johnson
  • Moonshine and Books
  • Simple Book Reviews
  • Elle Flokhart
  • Gibby C
  • Hailey Williams
  • Hannah
  • Ky Hartley
  • Rylee Petersen
  • Sierra Fierk
  • W Pettley
  • Aubrey Powell

In other related news, we've heard through the grapevine that Amazon has finally removed all of the titles of alleged serial plagiarist, Clarissa Black. What's shocking on that front is that it took Amazon so long to remove those titles.

#14 K.M. Hanson

K.M. Hanson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:One book, self-published... many more on the way. All E-Pubs.

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:32 PM

Wow... just blatant. 

The%20Attuning_Cover_175Thumbnail_zpsomk

I would like to thank R.A. Salvatore and Robert Jordan for raising me in their fantastic worlds.

https://www.facebook...ristoferMHanson

@TheKMHanson

#15 KirkDJohnston

KirkDJohnston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:08 AM

This is an extremely interesting topic that is getting more attention because it's occurring more and more frequently... Books from popular authors -- published years ago -- are being plagiarized and resubmitted under new author names and covers on Amazon.

Here's an example of one book that's being accused of plagiarism -- it's currently ranked in the paid 2000s at $2.99 and it's currently being advertised through many of the popular discounted eblast services.

We're going to leave off author names and book titles because we don't want to add to this specific controversy -- but you can read the opening paragraphs and see for yourself the reason why readers are crying "plagiarism":

See, now this kind of stuff is worrying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users