#1 Debbiek

Debbiek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS South

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:39 PM

Has anyone heard of them or had an experience with them? Are they considered small indie? Do they only do e-publishing?

They requested a full through a very legit contest, so I'm sure they're legit. But want to hear any reviews or comments about them.
Thanks!

#2 Jinsune

Jinsune

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published four flash fictions.

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

They aren't on P&E or Absolute Write that I know of, so make sure you check them out the best you can, including going to their website to see what kinds of books they publish, how they publish, etc. On their submission/guideline pages, they state that they do publish their books in print after about a year. Yes, they are an indie press.

I've never heard of them until you mentioned them, but from what all I see on their Goodreads book pages,  most of the books (or at least the ones I checked out), only have about two editions. There was one that had four if I'm not mistaken. I suggest you do your homework, as it looks like their fairly new and there's a lack of information on their website about them, not to mention some of the covers aren't that impressive.

#3 Debbiek

Debbiek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Thanks so much!

#4 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:38 PM

The first thing to do is Google. :-) Which led me to their web site. They do both print and ebooks and they do YA only (actually, their Facebook page says they do NA as well). Authors get 40% of net sales. It didn't say if that was just digital or print or both. Their books do have some nice looking covers, but if you look up a few on Amazon, most have less than 10 reviews (even ones that have been out for a couple years) and aren't ranked very well, meaning they aren't selling very well (on Amazon at least). They have 178 likes on Facebook and 174 Twitter followers, which points towards a lack of marketing and publicity. So my biggest concern would be this: What exactly are you going to get from them and is it worth the cut they'll take?

#5 Debbiek

Debbiek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Yeah, I saw that. Thanks again for all your help.

#6 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

Here's the Absolute Writer Beware Link: http://www.absolutew...ad.php?t=152371

It seems to be an author-run press. Personally, I would not want to publish with someone who hasn't had any publishing experience. 

#7 Jinsune

Jinsune

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published four flash fictions.

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:10 PM

One thing you can do is get in touch with one of the authors and ask a little bit about their publishing experience with Lycaon (whether or not it was a positive one, etc.). I'm not sure book reviews determine how many copies a book might sell. There are some consumers who buy without reviewing. I do agree with J. Lea Lopez that they probably have a small publicity/marketing plan, but that's to be expected with some small presses. As an author who signs on with them, you might have to do 50% of the marketing, if not all of it. Keep in mind each indie press is different in this aspect.

#8 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:19 AM

I'm not sure book reviews determine how many copies a book might sell. There are some consumers who buy without reviewing.

Yes they can, as there is a rough percentage of sales to reviews. By looking at the number of reviews you can extrapolate how many books have sold (with a certain margin of error). Another way is to look on Goodreads, as number of ratings and adds there gives you a better gauge of popularity/sales than just looking at Amazon ranking. For a popular book with "average" sales you would expect the book to hit the 3,000 max TBR/shelved on Goodreads and to have 200+ ratings/reviews.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users