AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

*raises hand*

Total Facebook newbie here... so reaching out to you FB veterans for some tips on Facebook engagement manners/ediquette and fan expectations.

So when a reader (ie. "fan")  likes and/or shares your post, are we supposed to respond with " hey, thanks, so and so (insert person's name) for liking my post!  That feels a little bit overdone so we haven't been doing it.  It's kinda like choosing not to thank everybody who retweet our tweets.  We see people doing it and people thank us sometimes for retweeting their stuff, but we never feel like it's actually necessary.

But on Facebook, are we missing out on some sort of coveted opportunity for personal engagement with our fans?

Also.. and perhaps more importantly, when some comes along and comments... "just one-clicked" regarding purchasing the book, if we respond to their comment, do they get a notification that we responded to their comment?  

Seriously feeling like our hair is combed over the wrong way and pasted with too much gel at the prom, waiting on the sidelines for somebody to say -- "Hey, what are you doing here?  You're supposed to be out there --> on the dance floor, shaking it like a fool!"

#2 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

No, you don't thank them, but if they post a comment, you should try to reply. :smile:   Also, and I didn't think of this until after I posted, 'like' their comment. It shows you read what they posted. 

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#3 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

AND YOU BETTER ADD ME!!  :humph:

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#4 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

Ha. Darke, we'll never know the secret identity. :tongue:

But yeah, what she said. ^^ If you like or reply to someone's comment, they'll get a FB notification. No need to say thanks if they just like your post, though.

#5 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

Also, and I didn't think of this until after I posted, 'like' their comment. It shows you read what they posted. 

Ah, yes... flashing the rico suave "like" button on their comment.  We can manage that.  Brilliant.

So get this... we literally did that and another reader posted a comment on the most recent post about how much she liked the book.  So we just rushed out onto the dance floor and whirled her around, and did a little jig.

Then, she "like" the fan page.  * thumbs up from the sidelines* yeah, babe.

#6 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

AND YOU BETTER ADD ME!!  :humph:

Really, actually.. we don't think we can... we don't use our profile at all, and can you even do that with a fan page...? *calling out to Mistress of FB*

#7 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

Really, actually.. we don't think we can... we don't use our profile at all, and can you even do that with a fan page...? *calling out to Mistress of FB*

You can like other pages as your page, but you can't add friends on your page like you do from your profile.

#8 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

I do tend to "like" comments but not to use emoticons (I don't even know how to spell them) as they are too cutesy for my taste. Periodically--and with people who regularly comment on my page (or pages) I do respond to comments so that my uber-fans feel as if I am conversing with them. That sounds cynical now that I read it and I don't mean it to--I have actually come to think of a number of my facebook followers (or "likers" of my author or book page) as friends and I enjoy the back-and-forth but when I am crazed I have to remind myself to "engage."

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#9 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:14 PM

Ahhh, Litgal... welcome back and welcome to the discussion.  Yeah, we're suddenly starting to realize that FB is perhaps a fan engagement tool more than anything else.  Sound incredibly naive.  But something you gotta actually experience something before it all makes sense.

When you have time, jump over to this discussion and chime in on how you're using your FB profile versus your FB author page -- if you have some good insights that you're willing to share.  Personally, we don't want to use the FB profile, but it's there and we feel like we're supposed to dress it up, as if we actually ARE using it -- so the whole thing kinda makes us twitch...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users