#1 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

Holy smokes... this is an interesting article about the perils of using your FB profile with a pen name versus your FB author page.  

And perhaps the perils of using FB at all while publishing under a pen name and promoting yourself as an author.

http://www.pcmag.com...,2468523,00.asp

There's been a lot of discussion on this board about the pros and cons of using your FB profile to promote yourself and your books versus your dedicated FB author page.  This is something to continue to watch...

As reported by SFist.com last week, Facebook locked the accounts of several drag queens and ordered them to change the names on their personal profiles and set up separate fan pages for their drag personas.

That includes Sister Roma (pictured) from theSisters of Perpetual Indulgence, who was forced to change her name on Facebook to her legal name, Michael Williams, the Bay City News Service reported.

Sister Roma has a Facebook fan page, but said she would prefer to use a personal page because she can interact more easily with friends and followers. "I use FB to raise awareness, support civil rights, promote charity events and keep in touch with friends," she tweeted recently..

In a statement, Facebook said that "if people want to use an alternative name on Facebook, they have several different options available to them, including providing an alias under their name on their profile, or creating a Page specifically for that alternative persona. As part of our overall standards, we ask that people who use Facebook provide their real name on their profile."

#2 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:42 AM

Yes, I was thinking about this recently when a few people in a FB group I'm in have come up against this. They're not drag queens though lol. But it definitely calls into question how "safe" you are using a profile with your pen name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users