2 replies to this topic

#1 zenpicker

zenpicker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I've had work published in such magazines as Colorado Review (I was the winner of the 2013 Nelligan Prize), Printers Row Journal (runner-up for the Nelson Algren Award), Bellevue Literary Review (Pushcart nominee), Cobalt, In Digest, and Turk's Head Review.

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:09 AM

I noted in another thread a comment that there is a "fall submission window" ending sometime "well before Thanksgiving."  The agent I'm negotiating with says it's too late for this year and she'd start submitting in the new year.  What are the generally understood windows in which publishers read (and pay attention to) agent submissions?

Edward Hamlin

http://www.edwardhamlin.com

Follow me on Twitter: @zenpicker

#2 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

Generally summer is slower for submission, as is around the Holidays and around the big book festivals like Bologna, Frankfurt, BEA. But a book can sell at any time--I sold in August, which is a crappy time to sell a book. I've had friends get offers two days before Christmas. On Thanksgiving. 

Each agent is different and has their own strategy, depending on the book and the editors they want to submit it to. It sounds like yours would rather get a fresh start in the new year, when editors are probably more rested and back from the holidays, instead of adding it to a pile of manuscripts that's probably been sitting on their desk all summer and the flood of ones coming now that everyone's back from their summer holidays :)

#3 zenpicker

zenpicker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I've had work published in such magazines as Colorado Review (I was the winner of the 2013 Nelligan Prize), Printers Row Journal (runner-up for the Nelson Algren Award), Bellevue Literary Review (Pushcart nominee), Cobalt, In Digest, and Turk's Head Review.

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

Thanks, very helpful.

Generally summer is slower for submission, as is around the Holidays and around the big book festivals like Bologna, Frankfurt, BEA. But a book can sell at any time--I sold in August, which is a crappy time to sell a book. I've had friends get offers two days before Christmas. On Thanksgiving. 

Each agent is different and has their own strategy, depending on the book and the editors they want to submit it to. It sounds like yours would rather get a fresh start in the new year, when editors are probably more rested and back from the holidays, instead of adding it to a pile of manuscripts that's probably been sitting on their desk all summer and the flood of ones coming now that everyone's back from their summer holidays :)

Edward Hamlin

http://www.edwardhamlin.com

Follow me on Twitter: @zenpicker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users