efowler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:07 PM

Anyone hear of Anaiah Press? I just received a full request from them and trying to dig up some info on them.

Thanks!

#2 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short story ANGUISH is available now in the Elephant Bookshelf Press winter anthology "Winter's Regret".

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:34 PM

They are a VERY Christian press. That's not a problem, but it might help you decide if you want to send. I joined a pitch session on Facebook and my book was turned down due to the themes (divorce, drugs, LGBT, etc.). They seem legit from my research (which was limited), but again, VERY Christian, so keep that in mind as far as the content of your book =).

Most girls are made of
sugar and spice and everything nice; they
screwed up the recipe for me: I'm made of
bat wings and broken things.

Query: http://agentquerycon...3-love-and-war/

Blog: http://aightball.wordpress.com

Synopsis:

Twitter Hook(s):

Short Story "Anguish", in Winter's Regret: http://www.amazon.co...winter's regret

aertja.jpg

#3 efowler

efowler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

Thanks Aiightball,

I just looked up their guidelines on their website, and I agree lol. I think for this book it would be okay (hence why they requested it, I believe) but not for my career.

Do you think it's worth it to have them publish on a one-book basis? Is that a common thing, to not be a career writer for the agency?

Also, they're primarily digital first, and I kind of stray away from those types of agencies. But it would be good to get my name out there and have some publishing history.

Opinions?

#4 Mallory

Mallory

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

They have no books out right now and I wasn't too impressed by the staff bios on the website.

“I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.”

-Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

https://twitter.com/croweink

#5 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:None :(

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:59 PM

I did a pitch contest once, and an agent from Anaiah Press requested a query. Which was weird, because my book is about serial killers and murdering, and I don't think that'd be a right choice for a Christian press  :tongue:

#6 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, (publisher Crooked Lane Books) written as Victoria Gilbert. Book One - A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS: December 2017. Book Two - SHELVED UNDER MURDER: July 2018. Book Three - PAST DUE FOR MURDER: Feb. 2019. Bks 4 & 5 in series under contract.

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

It's certainly ok to have different books with different presses/publishers.  (This is a press, not an agency, right? They are looking to contract with authors directly?)

#7 efowler

efowler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

Yes, LucidDreamer, they are a press from what I can tell. All their positions are called Editor rather than agents.

And Ana, did you send them the requested material? And are you seriously considering them among other offers? Just curious.

Thank you, all!

#8 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

I sent her (Kara Leigh Miller) a query and the first 3 chapters. She declined, though. Here's what she said:

Spoiler

#9 efowler

efowler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

Aah, it sounds like she's in the wrong company. Haha, just kidding. Good to know though. Mine might come back as a decline as well, then.

Thank you!

#10 Ana

Ana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

Yeah, I don't know why she requested it if she knew they were against her press's guidelines in the first place. Maybe she just wanted to read it? lol

No problem, and good luck  :smile:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users