#1 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:09 AM

Don't be ignorant. If you're going to self-publish, learn everything you can first.  

http://www.victorias...ster-copyright/

"As with any other writer-targeted scheme, these "services" rely on authors' ignorance and inexperience."

Truer words have never been spoken.  

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#2 Lori Sjoberg

Lori Sjoberg

Resident pain in the rear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:GRAVE INTENTIONS, GRAVE DESTINATIONS, and GRAVE VENGEANCE are now available from Kensington Publishing.

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:58 AM

Great info. Thanks for sharing!

#3 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

This is a great article, especially considering that the real official government website copyright.gov -- where you SHOULD copyright your work -- is a bit tricky to find and clunky to slog through the registration process.  "Services" like these are no doubt exploiting this weakness.

In the new age of digital publishing, we would highly recommend that you copyright your work if you have any intentions of digitally publishing it yourself, or if you begin to widely circulate it in ways that puts digital copies into many unfamiliar hands.

As a side note, there have been AQC members who have published their work through Smashwords, and subsequently have had pirated copies show up on Amazon with the same author name, book cover, and Smashword edition manuscript, but with slightly different title and significantly higher price.  In other words, a blatant pirated copy.

In one case, the author was forced to prove to Amazon that she indeed was the real author of the work because the pirates were uploading her books to Amazon on a regular basis and there were quite a few versions floating around -- all with her author name attached to it.  

Since that time, we've heard of a number of cases where authors are being asked by Amazon to prove that they are, indeed, the author who holds the copyright to the published work.

#4 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:22 PM

It's also worth pointing out that this article also links to an article about how to craft and send a DMCA notice.  http://www.sfwa.org/...ce-demystified/

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:19 PM

Just wanted to bump this item, because it's easily missed but certainly valuable.

#6 K.M. Hanson

K.M. Hanson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:One book, self-published... many more on the way. All E-Pubs.

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:53 PM

Does it matter if you apply for a copyright prior to editing the work?

The%20Attuning_Cover_175Thumbnail_zpsomk

I would like to thank R.A. Salvatore and Robert Jordan for raising me in their fantastic worlds.

https://www.facebook...ristoferMHanson

@TheKMHanson

#7 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:27 PM

If you substantially change the work (e.g., cut a few thousand words, add another thousand more), I suspect you'd have wasted your $35 registration fee. But I'm not a lawyer. The short answer for me is, don't copyright what isn't finished.

#8 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:15 PM

If you substantially change the work (e.g., cut a few thousand words, add another thousand more), I suspect you'd have wasted your $35 registration fee. But I'm not a lawyer. The short answer for me is, don't copyright what isn't finished.

I agree with that.

I'm so tired of people taking advantage of people ... all the time and effort they put into that they could put into something useful. I'll stop here I could go on and on and on about this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users