Disclaimer

Photo

goodreads/amazon - rules against review swaps?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johncjg

johncjg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Published, unagented

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

Hi, been paddling the Goodreads groups, looking for reviews. My debut novel so I'd like to have a few reviews (good or bad) just so people will know it's a real book. 

A few people have messaged me offering a review swap, i.e. i review theirs and they review mine. I just want to know is this frowned upon or is there a law/rule against it? I'm happy to do this, just want to make sure it's above board and won't bite me in the ass down the line

thanks! 

#2 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

Please don't engage in review swaps, you're walking into a mine field.

Besides the fact that some authors expect a 5 star review (and will give you a negative review if they don't think yours was high enough) if Goodreads users sniff it out you will be blacklisted. Readers see review swaps as underhand. There are groups on Goodreads where you can offer free copies in exchange for honest reviews, go that route not swapping with other authors.

#3 johncjg

johncjg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Published, unagented

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:23 PM

Ah okay thanks, yeah I will try that. 

Now that goodreads and amazon are in bed together, do reviews appear simultaneously on amazon and goodreads or do you need to write two reviews? 

#4 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:10 PM

Now that goodreads and amazon are in bed together, do reviews appear simultaneously on amazon and goodreads or do you need to write two reviews? 

No, they don't. Amazon & Goodreads have a different rating scale which is why a book might have a 4 star review on one and the exact same wording is a 3 star on the other.

You need to ask reviewers to place the review on both sites if that's what you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users