#1 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

We offer an open chat every Tuesday night (9:00 EST) during which we usually have a few agreed upon topics, followed by a general Q&A session, or any topic that might come up within the group. Moderators present tend to be myself, RC Lewis and MarcyKate. If you have any questions or want to suggest a topic, please reply to this thread. Be sure to check the guidelines posted below if you're a first time chatter, or a regular who breaks the rules a lot  :wink:

Possible Topics for 11/19 Chat:

Looking for topics!

Some Chat Guidelines:

1) Either myself (BBC), RC Lewis or MarcyKate will usually be serving as Chat Moderator. What that means: We will be typing with a green background behind our comments. Occasionally the moderator may use ALL CAPS to distinguish themselves on the screen, not b/c they are angry or b/c they are yelling at you. The CM's job is to keep the conversation on course, and we do our best. 

2) If you have a funny sidebar / witty comment you want to throw in that doesn't necessarily further the conversation, try hard not to. This is so very difficult for me, too. I totally understand the bite my cheek, want to share with the world how gosh darn funny I am. But during moderated chat isn't the best time - we do have a general open air time 15 minutes before official chat time, and also anybody can hang out and talk as long as they want, on whatever topic they want once official chat time is done.

3) Once the Green Mod background goes on, stop greeting each other as we come in the door. I know we all truly are glad to see each other, but if 4 people all greet one person that just walked in we end up with four lines of "Hey there BBC" and four lines of BBC saying, "Hey back at you RC" and then "Hey to you, litgal" and that's 8 lines of text that has just pushed the topic off the board and we all have to scroll up and get carpal tunnel. Feel free to greet each other, inquire after general health, and compliment me on how trim I'm looking, either before of after Green Mod Time.

4) Feel free to post, feel free to lurk. You don't have to be recognized by the Mod to ask a question, but do make sure that the topic up for discussion is moved on before jumping in with something new.

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

#2 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:43 PM

I will be there and respecting the CAPS :)
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#3 MMWBus

MMWBus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm in the process of finishing my first YA novel. Well, my first novel in general. I've been working on it for over a year, I've rewritten the first ten chapters probably five times already, but I'm close. I'm oh-so-close to the end, and it frightens me to pieces. I've lazily kept up with AgentQuery for close to a year to browse potential Agencies (when I get in a funk and need re-encouragement. Hey, it works), and now I'm finally joining. That's how close I think I am. Anyway, the journey begins....

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

9 EST tomorrow night? This sounds great! Mos def will try to make it.

Oh ... and thanks for the heads up.

#4 SLDuncan

SLDuncan

Mister Doubtfire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Books. Comics. Ill advised emails. Represented by John Rudolph of Dystel & Goderich Literary Management. THE EVOLUTION OF GABRIEL ADAM (Book 3, The Revelation Saga Medallion Press - August, 2016).

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

I'll bring my wealth of experience and expertise. :humph: :laugh:

#5 RileyRedgate

RileyRedgate

Ant, the Quixotic Query Quibbler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, SEVEN WAYS WE LIE, was released in March 2016 by Abrams and optioned for film by Jane Startz Productions. My sophomore novel, NOTEWORTHY, hits shelves May 2017.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:28 PM

Yay! Hopefully rehearsal will end soon enough...

author of SEVEN WAYS WE LIE and NOTEWORTHY

rep: Caryn Wiseman, Andrea Brown Literary Agency

i tweet!

#6 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

Good stuff, BBC. Thanks for taking the time and initiative to bring these back. They've been great in the past.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#7 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

I'm gonna try and make it. Usually this is my bed time, but gosh-darnit, y'all are such a groovey bunch of people!

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#8 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

Might be able to make this. If not this one, then after I move in a couple weeks.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#9 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

9 EST tomorrow night? This sounds great! Mos def will try to make it.

Oh ... and thanks for the heads up.

No problem MMW - we welcome everyone in the chats, vets and newbies alike! Don't be afraid to ask a question if you've got 'em!

anticipa - would love to see you there

Darke, SLD, bones, lit - sounds awesome.

And as always - everyone is free to bring up a topic / ask a question once the "scheduled topics" are quite finished.

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

#10 MarcyKate

MarcyKate

There can be only One.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel MONSTROUS will be out from HarperCollins Children’s Books in Winter 2015!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:29 AM

Yay! I will definitely be there! Thanks, BBC!

#11 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:56 AM

No problem MK - looking forward to it!

@MindyMcGinnis

#12 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:17 AM

Thanks to everyone for showing up in such great numbers for the chat last night - we had newbies, middlebies, and oldbies - so that was the best possible mix ever.

TK was there!!! So that's enough to bring everyone out, right? Posted Image

Seriously, it was a great, informational time followed by awesome not so informational time - equally important for fellow writers, I believe.

There was a lot of interest in doing a chat again next Wed, so, since this thread has been pinned (I didn't pin my own thread, swear) we'll just keep it alive.

Topic ideas? Offers to Mod?

@MindyMcGinnis

#13 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:26 AM

I wish I could have been there. With all the Dayquil running through me, I could have pitched random ideas for hours. I'm told I'm at my funniest when I'm half-conscious.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#14 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

I had a great time last night, just wish I didn't have to go to bed, but I was soo tired. I'm up for it next week too!

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#15 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for donning the caps last night, Miss Kitty. I had a great time.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#16 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:41 AM

I had a cat named Miss Kitty.... *sniff* once upon a time....

@MindyMcGinnis

#17 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:05 AM

Did she live with BC?

Pet names...that's a whole topic unto its own.

Blackie could be the worst one my dear sis and I came up with. At the time, we were two pale little girls with white-blonde hair living in the California ghettoes (ghettos--how the hell do you pluralize that?). I'm quite certain our neighbors of mixed ethnicity were thrilled with us.

Cat Woods

#18 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:24 AM

Nah BC is a man unto himself :) He's my roomie at the moment. Miss Kitty was waaaay back, like my first kitty I remember. She was my parent's cat, then I became my parent's cat.

My first proper kitty that was mine own was named Silky. Actually, I'm noticing something here..... Miss Kitty's predecessor (who I don't remember) was named Tabby. My genealogical cat line looks like this:

Tabby
Miss Kitty
Silky
Fluffy
Big Cat

Now tell me, who would guess that we are a creative family? Posted Image

@MindyMcGinnis

#19 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

Lol. We had a Fluffy, Tiger and a Spot.

Look at it this way, we were saving our creative juices for when it really mattered! Like, for instance, our AQ names...

Cat Woods

#20 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

again, sorry I missed it!

Cat names to cats I've had:

Lambert
Miles
Max
Sausage
Yoko
Maynard
Chop

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users