(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:48 PM

I've got to join this, but my list of cats is pretty short. My mom propagated the lie that she was allergic to cats for eighteen years just so I'd stop asking to have one.

Jamiroquai (Ran off, probably because of the name)
Sugar (Had to give away when she got jealous of my pregnancy and started acting out)
Magnolia aka "Maggie" (Still around--gets along great with our pug, "Tac")

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#22 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

Yeah, I think Jamiroqaui didn't need a lot of other reasons..... Posted Image

I'm opening up the floor for topic ideas for next Wed. chat on the 23rd at 9:00 EST (unless there's a better time for people) Also a volunteer to Mod, nudge, nudge.
I'll be there, but would rather not be in charge again, since it makes me feel all CAPS LOCKY.

Newbies - feel free to post here about any topics you'd like to see covered. The mods do a good job of being in these chats so that we can answer your questions to the best of our ability.

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

#23 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

Sausage?!?! Hilarious. I picture a big old tom with his belly draggin' on the ground.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#24 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:56 AM

Sausage is hilarious!! And cat, that's too funny about blacky. lol.

My list is pretty short too.

Yngvar (turned out to be a girl. Oops! She was also pretty evil, and looked just like your avatar, BBC)
Loki & Freya (brother & sister-- hands down, they were the sweetest cats)
Bandit (otherwise known as Booboo or "the bastard cat that won't die"-- seriously-- he was an adult stray when I found him in '93 and he likes to piss on things. Drives me nuts.)

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#25 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

Sausage is hilarious!! And cat, that's too funny about blacky. lol.

My list is pretty short too.

Yngvar (turned out to be a girl. Oops! She was also pretty evil, and looked just like your avatar, BBC)
Loki & Freya (brother & sister-- hands down, they were the sweetest cats)
Bandit (otherwise known as Booboo or "the bastard cat that won't die"-- seriously-- he was an adult stray when I found him in '93 and he likes to piss on things. Drives me nuts.)

My cats I mentioned above are all house cats, true pets in that sense. But barn / outdoor cats.... oh my. So many.

Your "bastard cat that wouldn't die" reminds me of one of them - Kojak. (for whatever reasons our feral cats got the best names). Kojak got hit by a car twice, then - wait for it - run over a by a ditch mower. For those of you who aren't familiar with a country ditch mower..... it's a huge rotating blade that obliterates everything in it's path. Except Kojak. He lost half a tail and one leg up to the hip. Crawled right out of the ditch and kept trucking. We caught him and doctored him up.

He got maggots.

Kept trucking.

We cleaned him up and he got past the whole stumpy leg / tail issue for another five or six years. Lost his ears to frostbite - just had those little tufts of hair sticking up out of his head in the spring. Ugliest cat you've ever seen.

Never did find out what happened to Kojak... as feral cats do he just disappeared one day. I'd like to thin the cat gods just sent him a fiery chariot Posted Image

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

#26 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

That's too funny, BBC!!! My guy's pretty fearless too, though his accidents have been minimum. He does like to go and beat up the neighbor's pitbulls though. Don't know how wise that is. lol. Funny thing is when I started dating my husband 12 years ago, I told him the cat was ancient and couldn't possibly have much longer to go. Yeah. Right. And he still looks great too! You wouldn't think he's nearly 20. He'd be an awesome cat if it weren't for the pissing thing. But the vet cleared him. Said it's behavioral. Hmph! :huh:

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#27 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

Sausage?!?! Hilarious. I picture a big old tom with his belly draggin' on the ground.

He was actually originally called "Chorizo" because he was an orange tabby. He morphed into sausage when he got to be about 16lbs.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#28 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

My cats I mentioned above are all house cats, true pets in that sense. But barn / outdoor cats.... oh my. So many.

Your "bastard cat that wouldn't die" reminds me of one of them - Kojak. (for whatever reasons our feral cats got the best names). Kojak got hit by a car twice, then - wait for it - run over a by a ditch mower. For those of you who aren't familiar with a country ditch mower..... it's a huge rotating blade that obliterates everything in it's path. Except Kojak. He lost half a tail and one leg up to the hip. Crawled right out of the ditch and kept trucking. We caught him and doctored him up.

He got maggots.

Kept trucking.

We cleaned him up and he got past the whole stumpy leg / tail issue for another five or six years. Lost his ears to frostbite - just had those little tufts of hair sticking up out of his head in the spring. Ugliest cat you've ever seen.

Never did find out what happened to Kojak... as feral cats do he just disappeared one day. I'd like to thin the cat gods just sent him a fiery chariot Posted Image

I just wet myself!

Cat Woods

#29 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:05 PM

As long as this thread has completely derailed I'll share about Puddin'--short for Puddin' Head--because she was.

Apparently even felines can be retarded.

She was the sweetest, cutest thing I'd ever seen. Fully grown, she could fit in one hand. Her fur was long and fuzzy and her whiskers were completely out of control. It was as if they had grown while the rest of her hadn't.

True to her lack of brains name, she invited the red-tailed hawk into her personal space. Never even tried to hide when it swooped down and snatched her off the fence.

Cat Woods

#30 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:03 AM

*BBC's Attempt to Refocus the Thread* Posted Image

Anyone have any ideas that they'd like covered / discussed in the Chat this week?

Newbies - feel free to jump in here!

Also, I need a moderator. My desktop is my only functioning computer at home and the keyboard is kind of fritzing right now. So if I'm there, but suddenly go quiet, know that I'm shouting things at my monitor, but no one is benefiting from it but the cat.

@MindyMcGinnis

#31 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

I have one -- I would be interested in seeing a discussion of professionalism in writing -- how to behave as if this is going to a career not a hobby (tying in with the blog I posted on keeping your query process complaints off your social media). I think very many people get so caught up in the "fun" of social media and on-line-writing-community membership that they forget that this is first and foremost a business and all public conduct might possibly be revisited later.
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#32 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

I have one -- I would be interested in seeing a discussion of professionalism in writing -- how to behave as if this is going to a career not a hobby (tying in with the blog I posted on keeping your query process complaints off your social media). I think very many people get so caught up in the "fun" of social media and on-line-writing-community membership that they forget that this is first and foremost a business and all public conduct might possibly be revisited later.

I second this emotion. This ia a GREAT idea for a chat topic.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#33 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:52 AM

I think we'll say lit's idea is our only topic on the agenda for now, as it's a solid one that could be lengthy, and I'd love to leave a LOT of time for general Q&A for newbies b/c I've been inviting them a lot Posted Image

Still looking for a Mod to Chat Mod..... (HINT HINT)

@MindyMcGinnis

#34 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:57 AM

Wish I could oblige (I do LOVE to crack a ruler) but I will probably be late at best (at worst. . . ) because I have out of town visitors and will be wining and dining them this evening.

#35 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

Chat Mod really doesn't necessarily have to be a Mod either..... *BBC looks at really active non Mod members....*

@MindyMcGinnis

#36 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

I'd volunteer, but it's hard to guarantee I'd get there on time. Depends on whether someone/something holds me up after my meetings. :unsure:

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#37 Dr Anne

Dr Anne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 198 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Short stories, articles, poems published in books, anthologies, magazines and online, in Australia.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

Current cats, Mimika (looks like a Russian Blue) and Bennelong (black).

Others over past 30 or so years - Squeak (black), Matilda (ginger), Mouse (Tabby), Jasper (white, fluffy, won a many cat-show prizes), Jasmine (white), Onyx, AKA Snide (black), Ginger (any guesses?), Panda (calico), Porky( light silver tabby),Jet (black), Pokey (ginger), Tiny (caramel), Tippy (tortoiseshell).

Wish I still had 'em all!

#38 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

I think we had a great chat last night - lots of great info from Skyval on how to blog and tweet about something other than yourself / writing life. Tangental info is what's going to draw your readers in, and built your following.

Also, great tips on getting your domain name registered before some rube grabs it, eh?

Welcoming ideas for next weeks chat....

@MindyMcGinnis

#39 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:28 AM

SOOOOOOO sorry I missed it (particularly as I suggested the topic) but things on this end just didn't work out.

#40 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,604 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

Oh, man! Those are two points I wish I'd been able to catch. Remind me, are the chats being archived somehow?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users