#421 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,252 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion in Fall 2014.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

From Terri: Book bloggers/reviewers as bullies, and how authors handle it (without becoming bullies ourselves)

From Joey: Elevator pitches and pitch sessions
Stitching+Snow+Cover+Final+SMALL.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#422 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:NOT A DROP TO DRINK is a post-apocalyptic survival tale set in a world where freshwater is almost nonexistent. Available now from Katherine Tegen / Harper Collins.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

From Terri: Book bloggers/reviewers as bullies, and how authors handle it (without becoming bullies ourselves)

From Joey: Elevator pitches and pitch sessions

Great topics above. We can handle them next week if need be.

Also a good topic when we have people around - when September hits we'll be going back to Fall Chat time (whatever that might be). Wednesdays are summer schedule. We try to mix it up so that different members can come. Looking for suggestions on days / times for the fall.

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg

#423 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,252 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion in Fall 2014.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

Chat suggestions/requests/ideas for this week?
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#424 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:NOT A DROP TO DRINK is a post-apocalyptic survival tale set in a world where freshwater is almost nonexistent. Available now from Katherine Tegen / Harper Collins.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

Um... we could talk about being careful using pics on your blog that you don't own?

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

#425 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,252 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

Um... we could talk about being careful using pics on your blog that you don't own?

We definitely could. Are others interested in discussing?
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#426 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Any ideas for this weeks chat?

#427 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,252 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

There were a few thoughts in the chatroom last night. Querying in general, more about editing (we've done recently, but maybe a new twist?), dealing with rejection ...
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#428 Gina

Gina

Travel Lover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Can't wait!

#429 Revo

Revo

King of Chat Summaries

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blogs. Flash Fiction, Sports fans sites, assorted company memos, pestering fellow authors with inane question or suspect advice.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

Maybe an overall combatting depression theme including "Dealing with those negative or outright hurtful book reviews-and how to live with them"
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

-T. Roosevelt

At the end of the day, wishes are just a suggestion box ticket for dreams, and dreams, while entertaining, are not of substance. Achievement is won on the ground, not in the clouds.

--Me

#430 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Revo - we kind of covered dealing with negative reviews in the chat two weeks ago, but I think dealing with negativity (our own and other's) would be a good topic.

#431 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

Any suggestions for Wednesday's chat this week?

#432 Revo

Revo

King of Chat Summaries

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blogs. Flash Fiction, Sports fans sites, assorted company memos, pestering fellow authors with inane question or suspect advice.

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

ok, time for my weekly borderline dumb idea:

Flash fiction: Does it hone skills, utilize important aspects to be applied to your MS, or is it just glorified, ego-feeding goofing off?

Alternate: FB pages for writers, why they should be separated from the family/friends page

Alternate #2: Exchanging MS's with people you don't know that well; the perils and the perks
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

-T. Roosevelt

At the end of the day, wishes are just a suggestion box ticket for dreams, and dreams, while entertaining, are not of substance. Achievement is won on the ground, not in the clouds.

--Me

#433 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

ok, time for my weekly borderline dumb idea:

Flash fiction: Does it hone skills, utilize important aspects to be applied to your MS, or is it just glorified, ego-feeding goofing off?

Alternate: FB pages for writers, why they should be separated from the family/friends page

Alternate #2: Exchanging MS's with people you don't know that well; the perils and the perks

I want to learn more about using a FB page for writers "FB pages for writers, why they should be separated from the family/friends page"

#434 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short story ANGUISH will publish January 2014 in the Elephant Bookshelf Press winter anthology.

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

I always feel awkward when I come into the Wed. chat. I don't know why, but I feel horribly out of place, so haven't participated in a while.

Cat names: we got our first cat when I was in high school. I was (and still am) a HUGE Trekkie (STTNG) and wanted to name the cat Data. Mom disagreed, so we settled on 8Ball (anyone wanna guess where my username is from?). Then, I got my own cat and he's called Hamlet (he's my fur kid). I almost had a second cat named Macbeth, but he died before I got to bring him home =(.

Most girls are made of
sugar and spice and everything nice; they
screwed up the recipe for me: I'm made of
bat wings and broken things.

Query: http://agentquerycon...mercial-fiction

Blog: http://aightball.wordpress.com

Synopsis: http://agentquerycon...ercial-fiction/

Short Story "Anguish", in Winter's Regret: http://www.amazon.co...winter's regret

aertja.jpg

#435 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

Chat is out of commission for the time being, all. It's always been a tech problem (I'm sure most of you have suffered through scrolling issues and double posts) so the bugs are currently being worked out. We'll let you know when we're closer to a fix!

#436 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

RC and I are looking to get a feel on how when we want to continue running the "official" chat nights (complete with CAPS moderator and a topic ahead of time). Right now we're doing Wed at 9 PM EST

Is there another night and time that would work better for others? We like to shift it around occasionally to allow all members to participate in chat as their schedules allow. We've been doing Wed. evenings for the past three months. Any shift change suggestions?

(also would love a topic suggestion for this week)

#437 Revo

Revo

King of Chat Summaries

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

My suggestions were made (see above). Wednesday or Thursday work for me, but a Friday or Saturday at a later time might appeal more to the left coasters and still include the easterners.

-T. Roosevelt

--Me

#438 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. Most recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published one novel and a short story collection.

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

I'll probably be more sporadic at chats now that I'm working full time (meaning getting up at 4:30 EVERY. MORNING. lol) So unless by some miracle people want to do official chats on a friday or saturday night, I'll probably be heading to bed around the same time chat begins each week. :-(

Resident Jello Lover
Jello World
From The Write Angle

jen%2Bsorry%2Bsmall.jpg  Consenting%2BAdults%2Bsmall.jpg

#439 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel, The Sister Queens (the story of 13th century sisters Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence who became the queens of France and England respectively) is now on shelves everywhere (and is also available on-line at Amazon, IndieBound, Books a Million, and Barnes and Noble).

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

I would like to get back into chatting this fall. Most days work for me but Thursdays do NOT
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#440 Stephanie Diaz

Stephanie Diaz

The Girl Who Waited

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Pub intern. EXTRACTION, the first book in my YA sci-fi trilogy, will be out July 22, 2014 from St. Martin's Griffin.

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday night work for me if they're at 9EST. Weekends don't 'cause I always work weekends. :/

EXTRACTION_FINAL_COVER.jpg

Extraction

St. Martin's Griffin

July 22, 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users