#22 Widget

Widget

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:17 PM

Gah! But I'm not used to having to think three steps ahead of people I purportedly respect. This kind of gamesmanship is crazy making. 

I know. I'm such a newbie.

#23 Widget

Widget

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:30 PM

She replied by email -- "Sorry for the slowness of my response to your emails. I received the additional info to add to the proposal... I should have it ready early next week and, as the edits are pretty minor, I'd love to be able to send the submission out before Thanksgiving. How does that sound?"

I wrote back and said it sounded good. Added some more relevant info… and didn't call her out on the AWOL issue.

I'd rather discuss it by phone, so I think I'll ask to schedule a call. 

Assuming third time is the charm -- is there a problem submitting things to publishers around the holidays? 

Thanks for all the hand holding. 

#24 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:42 PM

Nah, there isn't a problem submitting during the holidays. There might be a bit more of a wait to get responses just because of the breaks, but that really depends. I know people who have gotten offers on Christmas Eve or even the day after Christmas. Honestly, sometimes it doesn't seem like there's ever a "good" season in publishing, there's always something going on (summer, the holidays, Bologna, Frankfurt, etc), so everyone tries to just go with the ebb and flow. 

#25 annab3lla

annab3lla

Hufflepuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:KAT AND MEG CONQUER THE WORLD (HarperTeen '17)(contemporary YA)

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

Well, I tried calling. 

"May I ask who's calling?" -- like she was in?

I gave my name. Then she clearly told the agent who was calling. Young person, sounded kind of nervous… "Um, she's currently unavailable."

Left my name, my number, let's see if she returns calls. 

I'm probably paranoid at this point, but I definitely got the feeling I was being blown off again.

Sounds like you've got this mostly resolved, but just thought I'd chime in on this a bit with a different perspective, in case you're still feeling a little paranoid.

It is very possible that you were being blown off, but it could also just be this agent's way of dealing with things. I am a lawyer, and personally, I send almost all calls to voicemail unless it's someone I'm urgently waiting to hear from. I do this not because I'm trying to blow people off, but because I am trying desperately to get work done. If I really need to finish a project for client A, if I took phone calls from clients B, C, and D in the middle of it, not only would I not complete the project for client A, but I would also sound incompetent to clients B, C, and D, because at that moment my brain is obsessed with client A's project, and I have a hard time thinking about where I'm at with my other clients' files. I find it much easier and more productive to finish the project for client A, then refresh my brain on client B's file and call him back, then etc.

I hope it all works out for you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Non-Fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users