#1 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:09 PM

Do you all realize there are literally thousands and thousands of FB groups that allow you -- an author -- to join and post a promotional post for your book?

We know that the big-name successful indie authors with street teams use their team members to help spread the word about their newest release by making release day posts on their behalf.  This is beneficial because some -- but not the majority -- of these groups are for readers and/or readers/bloggers only.  Not for authors.

BUT there is a staggering number of them that are open for anyone to join and post, and we wonder A) how many of you all realize this... and B) have you ever tried to post to more than say... 50 FB promo groups on your book's release day?

In about 4 hours, we're fairly certain we could come up with a list of over 2000 general book promo groups open to authors posting their promos, and probably 200 genre-specific ones for all of the major fiction genres (mystery, romance, sci-fi, fantasy, ya, etc) -- per each genre -- if we spent another 2 solid days trolling through all of them.

You all MUST know this -- because you all have been playing the FB game much longer -- so we wonder what's stopping you from running through these FB book promo groups and posting on every single one of them on your book's release day?

We know everyone is adverse to spam and spamming their promotions, but the majority of these book promo groups literally say..."Anything book related is welcome.  Authors are free to join and promote their books."  

It seems the only barrier of entry is the time it takes to join and become approved by the group.  And the fact that at the end of the day, your FB profile will be a member of over 300 or more groups.  But other than that... why not?

In addition, how do you determine how "popular" or active a group is when it cites 10,000+ members?  How do you assess how many of those members are still choosing to receive notifications from the group?  How would you determine whether or not it's a group worth joining -- just to post your book's promo on its release day.

Personally, we would go first for groups within our book's target genre that seem smaller (like 2000+ members and active with more than just promo posts from authors) -- but really, why limit it?

#2 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:50 PM

I have looked at them but from the limited number I saw they were authors spamming other authors. I would love to know how effective they are. If the group posts aren't showing in members news feeds then you are relying on people scanning the group content at some stage during the day.

#3 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:35 PM

In my experience the groups with the most unlimited promotion policies are utterly useless. They become 100 posts a day of the "buy my book" sort and nobody visits them but authors who only stop by long enough to post promotion of their own work. I've had better luck with groups that limit (strictly) the amount of promo (e.g. to one day a week or even to one post per release) and center on a topic (in my case historical fiction, or a period in history). The sad, time consuming truth is that you have to actually engage with other group members to have any real chance of selling a book.  So I don't join too many groups and I only join the ones where I feel I can be at least a marginal presence without wanting to nail my hand to the table.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#4 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:38 PM

I belong to a lot of groups on FB and have been gently entering the waters of pre-pub promotion. It's a delicate process because you want to stir up interest but not come across as spamming. Some of the groups dominated by self-pubbed authors tend to get blasted with promo posts, and I have a feeling no one ever reads them.

Just wanted to add to Litgal's post-- In my experience, the best way to promote in FB groups is to soft-pedal. Engage in conversation about existing topics and look for that appropriate moment to mention your book. When someone asks for more info, you pass on the links for purchase, reviews, etc. But that takes time and a fair amount of courting. :tongue:

If I find some FB groups that look really good, I'll pass on the links. So far, most of them don't appear too promising.

Jeanne

#5 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

Do you all realize there are literally thousands and thousands of FB groups that allow you -- an author -- to join and post a promotional post for your book?

We know that the big-name successful indie authors with street teams use their team members to help spread the word about their newest release by making release day posts on their behalf.  This is beneficial because some -- but not the majority -- of these groups are for readers and/or readers/bloggers only.  Not for authors.

BUT there is a staggering number of them that are open for anyone to join and post, and we wonder A) how many of you all realize this... and B) have you ever tried to post to more than say... 50 FB promo groups on your book's release day?

In about 4 hours, we're fairly certain we could come up with a list of over 2000 general book promo groups open to authors posting their promos, and probably 200 genre-specific ones for all of the major fiction genres (mystery, romance, sci-fi, fantasy, ya, etc) -- per each genre -- if we spent another 2 solid days trolling through all of them.

You all MUST know this -- because you all have been playing the FB game much longer -- so we wonder what's stopping you from running through these FB book promo groups and posting on every single one of them on your book's release day?

We know everyone is adverse to spam and spamming their promotions, but the majority of these book promo groups literally say..."Anything book related is welcome.  Authors are free to join and promote their books."  

It seems the only barrier of entry is the time it takes to join and become approved by the group.  And the fact that at the end of the day, your FB profile will be a member of over 300 or more groups.  But other than that... why not?

In addition, how do you determine how "popular" or active a group is when it cites 10,000+ members?  How do you assess how many of those members are still choosing to receive notifications from the group?  How would you determine whether or not it's a group worth joining -- just to post your book's promo on its release day.

Personally, we would go first for groups within our book's target genre that seem smaller (like 2000+ members and active with more than just promo posts from authors) -- but really, why limit it?

Here's the thing with these groups, no one really pays any attention to them. Yes, there are groups that allow you to promote your book, but 98% of them are 'drive-bys' and the members don't bother to read the other posts. Just because a group has 10k+ members DOES NOT mean they're all active. I was a member of one marketing FB group that boasted this member number, but apart from the same six to ten members, no one participated.

On top of that, when you join one of these groups and post, your post shows up on all the people on your friends list, so if you're posting seven or eight posts per day, all your friends see it too. Every. Single. Time. Or, if they don't want to see it, they can block posts from that group. 

I'm sorry Crew, Facebook and TWitter are NOT the place to promote. Once in a while, yes, but not on a constant basis. It's been proven that sales do not come from promoting on these sites.

Re: Street-teams: These people are annoying. I'm in several non-promo groups and these people join and completely disregard the rules and promote. I have a list and I not only write down their names, but the names of the authors their promoting and I will not even LOOK at their work.     

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#6 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:48 PM

I'm sorry Crew, Facebook and TWitter are NOT the place to promote. Once in a while, yes, but not on a constant basis. It's been proven that sales do not come from promoting on these sites.

Yeah, it might indeed be a form of obsessive masochcism, but if you're cool with that... we still want your help on helping us craft our FB group book blitz experiment.

On top of that, when you join one of these groups and post, your post shows up on all the people on your friends list, so if you're posting seven or eight posts per day, all your friends see it too. Every. Single. Time. Or, if they don't want to see it, they can block posts from that group. 

Yes, this is an excellent point and something we're not clear on since we try to avoid using our profile and are currently only part of one group.

Also, this point ties into Litgal and Jeanne's points:

In my experience the groups with the most unlimited promotion policies are utterly useless. They become 100 posts a day of the "buy my book" sort and nobody visits them but authors who only stop by long enough to post promotion of their own work. 

We definitely see that, and are thinking that in addition to the groups that have a "limit" policy, we will target the groups within our genre that have the admin/moderator posting the book promos.  We have seen several of those as well.

The sad, time consuming truth is that you have to actually engage with other group members to have any real chance of selling a book.  So I don't join too many groups and I only join the ones where I feel I can be at least a marginal presence without wanting to nail my hand to the table.

Just wanted to add to Litgal's post-- In my experience, the best way to promote in FB groups is to soft-pedal. Engage in conversation about existing topics and look for that appropriate moment to mention your book. When someone asks for more info, you pass on the links for purchase, reviews, etc. But that takes time and a fair amount of courting. :tongue:

Jeanne

Yeah, what Litgal and Jeanne are describing here is sort of the same as hand-selling books, and right now, that's just a very different sales technique.  Right now, we're really all about developing a hard-sell campaign to launch -- in a very strategic manner -- during the week of our next book's release.

OK, the plan will be to cull a list of at least 100 FB groups with strict promo limits or that the admin does the promo posting (which would be ideal).  We are running a limited free promo of our current book and will use that promo as a "test" to see who bites and what kind of traction we get in terms of downloads, and then build the network for the next book being release early next year.

If you all have any more feedback for a masochist-in-need, feel free to give a few more stabs of advice or words of caution.

#7 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

I would second Lit's comments. If you have a free book and lead with #FREE I think you get some play  because you don't have to open the post first to see that it is free. I do see a small bump when I post in genre specific groups. If you are really looking for a blitz why not try Thunderclap?

JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#8 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:38 AM

If you are really looking for a blitz why not try Thunderclap?

Because Thunderclap is limited to blitzing through the Twitter and FB accounts of the people who decide to participate in the Thunderclap -- and the liklihood of those accounts targeting book influencers and readers is probably slim.  You also can't customize the message per post.

This is targeted marketing, specifically designed to hit groups frequented by book influencers and readers within a specific genre, assuming you post (or get posted) within the right FB group.

We have a huge overall campaign in the works for our next release.  This is only one of 50 spokes of that campaign wheel.  We're going to see how the freebie test goes within the FB group, and then decide whether or not to incorporate posting within those FB groups into the mega-campaign.  

We *could* hire a blog tour company, and they would basically do the same thing except hit the major FB blogger group circuit, etc. but this book isn't quite right for that circuit this time around... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users