2 replies to this topic

#1 Loves the Written Word

Loves the Written Word

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Freelance journalist in Pennsylvania, for the Focus Features section of the Lehigh Valley Press. Completed a middle grade chapter book: The Ghosts of Christmas Castle. It is a historical mystery set in Victorian London.

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

I'm working on a true crime book proposal and would like to back up my target audience section with statistics as to how much of the reading public buys true crime NF, but I can't seem to find any sources online with that information. Does anyone have suggestions?   Thank you~

#2 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

I'm not sure you'll find such information, other than googling "crime non-fiction buying statistics". Publishers don't really release statistics like that to the public that I know of. However, an agent will have a good idea of the market if they represent it, so I don't think a statistic like this would be 100% necessary. You might want to mention the public's new fascination with the radio show SERIAL for example, or cite some specific books that are similar to yours that you know have done well because of bestseller status instead.

#3 Loves the Written Word

Loves the Written Word

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Freelance journalist in Pennsylvania, for the Focus Features section of the Lehigh Valley Press. Completed a middle grade chapter book: The Ghosts of Christmas Castle. It is a historical mystery set in Victorian London.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:55 PM

Thank you! :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users