16 replies to this topic

#1 EricaManfred

EricaManfred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Literary Status:agented, industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Professional author: articles in NYTimes, Cosmo, LHJ, HuffPo blogger, columnist on seniorplanet.org. non fiction books from Berkeley 2014, GPP Life 2009 and Random House 2003. Self pubbed fiction: Interview With a Jewish Vampire.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

With the help of AQC member Trickster71 at www.refugeforwriters.com--who drafted a dynamite query letter for me--I got  3 offers of representation and am going with my #1 choice, a top agent.

Here's the query that got a lot of requests for partials and fulls.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's 1978 and overworked, underpaid New York Juvenile Authority caseworker Norma Katzman wants to lose fifty pounds and find a pair of pants that aren’t stretch polyester.

Oh, and solve a murder.

When Norma learns the most promising foster child on her caseload overdosed on heroin, she doesn't buy it. The police don't bother to investigate the death of a black girl in Harlem even though she was no drug addict, but college-bound with a bright future. Determined to discover the truth, Norma teams up with Ella Gaines, the dead girl's take-no-prisoners foster mother.

While Norma scours the rubble strewn streets of the South Bronx for clues and pay phones that work,  Ella uses her connections to rattle every chain in the Juvenile Authority bureaucracy.  Even Ella's other two foster children get involved: one, surly with violent tendencies, the other, a foul-mouthed spitfire.

When Norma and her crew uncover evidence proving the girl's death was the result of foul play, they ramp up their efforts to find the killer.  If they don't get justice for the dead girl, it will show every foster kid in the agency that their lives are meaningless.  And even a rack of her favorite ribs won’t help Norma swallow that.

GET OFF MY CASE;  A NORMA KATZMAN MURDER MYSTERY at 90,000 words is a cozy with series potential. 

I’m a freelance writer, author of three books published by Random House, Globe Pequot Press and Berkley.  My articles and essays have appeared in The New York Times, Cosmopolitan, Village Voice, and many other magazines and websitesThis is my second novel.  Thank you for your time and consideration.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Tracy

#2 Angie Sandro

Angie Sandro

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:DARK CONFESSIONS (Dark Paradise novella, #4.5) releases 02/09/16, from Grand Central/Forever Yours.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:27 AM

Congrats! :)

Angie Sandro

Find me:

Facebook / Blog / Twitter / Amazon / Goodreads

615IvQY4rQL._SY96_SH35_.jpg 51RDU1vkC1L._SY96_SH35_.jpg 512cVEX5ffL._SY96_SH35_.jpg 61SWQHcL97L._SY96_SH35_.jpg 28673721.jpg

#3 trickster71

trickster71

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Falling Star Magazine, The MacGuffin, and Midwest Literary Magazine

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:30 AM

Thank you, Erica.  It was also because you have a stellar MS that you landed an agent.  I am so happy for you.  I wish you the best of luck as you continue your publishing career. :)

Want a more in-depth critique/edit of your query, synopsis, or MS?

Contact me at:  refugeforwriters.com

#4 JacobH44

JacobH44

Dazed & Confused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS South

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:42 AM

Yay! Congrats!

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. - Hemingway

#5 CS_W

CS_W

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:"Sword Witch" on Amazon, B&N, iBooks and Googleplay
    "A Courtroom of Ashes" on Amazon
    "From the Stars" To be released.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:29 AM

Congrats, that's wonderful news!

#6 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:14 PM

Congratulations! And welcome to the other side, lol. 

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#7 VonAngel

VonAngel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:48 AM

Congratulations!

Posted Image
{MY BLOG}
Posted Image
lover of words writing for the soul

#8 missysue

missysue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Literary Status:media
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist at Prizm/Torquere. Newspaper editor at Gambit Weekly. Freelance writer with publications worldwide.

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:01 PM

AWESOME! Congrats. It's easy to see why you got snapped up!

www.missywilkinson.com

#9 qzcoach

qzcoach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self published a non-fiction book. Just completed a novel and am actively seeking an agent.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:49 AM

Congrats.  Great query letter!

#10 Constantine Singer

Constantine Singer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I am agented and have recently sold my debut novel to Putnam/Penguin Teen. I got my querying start right here.

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:38 PM

That's great news and a great query -- I can't wait until your book comes out!

#11 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE and SCEPTER OF FIRE, Fantasy,Snowy Wings Publishing, May 2017
    Library mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in Jan. 2018

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:47 PM

Congratulations!

#12 MV2

MV2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:To date just several magazine articles. Published in Proceedings and Austin Healey Club

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:59 AM

Your QL is inspirational! Thank you... I needed another look at success as I work to create something like it that punches the reader in the the gut and grabs their attention. Congratulations.

#13 CFrances

CFrances

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have been published in Learning Through History magazine, two juried medical research journals, the MS edition of Stories of Healing, and my local newspaper.

Posted 12 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and I can't wait to read the book!

#14 whikerms

whikerms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Unpublished

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

Congrats! That sounds like a great book.

#15 EliQuinn

EliQuinn

"that guy"

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:32 AM

Congratulations! 

An outstanding query letter, has me totally stoke for you (and more of your book i think!). Well done :D

If you have the time, I would love your opinion on my query and or synopsis:

Synopsis > http://agentquerycon...sy/#entry268693

Query > http://agentquerycon...ntasy/?p=267170

#16 kljacks

kljacks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 October 2015 - 09:47 AM

Congrats!!

#17 Shawnee

Shawnee

Coffee Fueled Creativity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None yet...let's hope that changes soon!

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:48 PM

Congrats! Great Letter and I'm sure a great read! 

“I do not over-intellectualize the production process. I try to keep it simple: Tell the damned story.”
—Tom Clancy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users