#1 CFrances

CFrances

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have been published in Learning Through History magazine, two juried medical research journals, the MS edition of Stories of Healing, and my local newspaper.

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:33 PM

I have written an MG novel that I am now querying. I have been thinking that I would like to include a handful (5 or 6) illustrations. Should I have them done by an artist-friend and include them in my query,or just mention that I am considering them and leave it it up to the agent /publisher to arrange (I realize I'm being optimistic here, imagining I'll have a publisher!)?

Thanks for your help.

#2 sharpegirl

sharpegirl

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:YA novelist with Hyperion (US) and Indigo (UK).

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:16 PM

This would be something to discuss after a book deal is made. If the book's design team is open to artwork, they're going to want to hire the artist themselves.

#3 CFrances

CFrances

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have been published in Learning Through History magazine, two juried medical research journals, the MS edition of Stories of Healing, and my local newspaper.

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:26 PM

Thank you.

#4 aperson

aperson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Cricket Magazine published my story, The Blanket (1990). CTB
    Macmillan/McGraw/Hill later published the story for reading
    comprehensive tests used by the State of Maryland. The
    Friend published Merlin's Appointment (1985).

Our children are now adults I am now writing again.

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:45 AM

There are some agents that welcome illustrations.  Mostly you will find this in their bios.  ~karen

#5 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:13 PM

Hmmm.  This is good to know.  I have been told by betas and readers critiquing my work that the illustrations I toyed with in the beginning were a nice touch.  I had them commissioned since I can't draw, and LOVE them, and would hate to have to take them out.  There's an illustration that ends every one of the 33 chapters in my novel.

It is good to know though, that if the heavens do part, and I get an agent that they may be willing to go with what I have already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users