24 replies to this topic

#21 aperson

aperson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Cricket Magazine published my story, The Blanket (1990). CTB
    Macmillan/McGraw/Hill later published the story for reading
    comprehensive tests used by the State of Maryland. The
    Friend published Merlin's Appointment (1985).

Our children are now adults I am now writing again.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

Jemi: I forgot about socks. Our daughter would never wear them-ever. Then one day I crocheted her booties from non-fuzzy yarn. She wore them!  I have continued making them for her into adulthood. A few things you mentioned also would describe her when she was younger.  We didn't know much when she was younger.  The information was not available. Had it been maybe we could have been more help. Then again, since we didn't know. we accepted and didn't treat her any different than her brothers. Maybe that was just as good. ~karen

#22 Jemi

Jemi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:30 PM

Jemi: I forgot about socks. Our daughter would never wear them-ever. Then one day I crocheted her booties from non-fuzzy yarn. She wore them!  I have continued making them for her into adulthood. A few things you mentioned also would describe her when she was younger.  We didn't know much when she was younger.  The information was not available. Had it been maybe we could have been more help. Then again, since we didn't know. we accepted and didn't treat her any different than her brothers. Maybe that was just as good. ~karen

I totally agree! We have a special needs kid in our family and the mom's attitude is No diagnosis, No limits (so far doctors have been unable to identify him or find anyone else with the same combination of issues). It's totally working for him. Therapists are constantly surprised by his areas of growth which are slow, but more than they expected of him :)

I'm going to mention the bootie idea to one of the mom's at school - thanks Karen!

#23 Zaarin

Zaarin

Tolkien Acolyte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:36 PM

Zarrin: Do you have depression issues?  Right now we are our are daughters shelter when that happens, but we won't be around forever.  That I worry about.

Yes, I do. Or perhaps more accurately I have mood swings (as you can imagine, adolescence was rough), but the down swings are a lot more frequent than the upswings. Sometimes the downswings match a broader description of depression, others they take a more specific form such as acute loneliness or ennui. I get worse when I'm completely alone, but I'm fortunate to live at home with my parents and that my mom has been a stay-at-home mom since I was in fourth grade. Coffee helps regulate my moods; I'm up to three cups a day. The caffeine calms me down and helps me focus (caffeine never makes me hyper or keeps me awake), and the warm cup calms me down. Other things I've found help are spending time with my cat, talking to my best friend on the phone (if I'm not too low to talk), taking a long shower, and listening to music. Also since I've come to the point where I tend to think of the characters as my friends, watching Deep Space Nine can help too (which I do every night). I am interested in pursuing a relationship and getting married eventually, but I'm aware it will be a challenge.

- sensory issues are very common - a lot of kids don't like socks, tags, seams, socks, etc. One little guy strips when frustrated   :tongue:

- humour - especially sarcasm - can be very difficult for some kids (especially true of one little guy diagnosed with Asperger's in our school right now. He is very literal)

I hate having things on my feet--when I'm at home I'm barefoot. And I don't leave home very often. :P

I know a lot of Aspies struggle with humor; I seem to be unique that I developed a sarcastic sense of humor very young. Partly why I like Sisko better than Picard is because Sisko is so delightfully sarcastic. :D

#24 Jemi

Jemi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:27 AM

I know a lot of Aspies struggle with humor; I seem to be unique that I developed a sarcastic sense of humor very young. Partly why I like Sisko better than Picard is because Sisko is so delightfully sarcastic. :D

Sisko is definitely a better pick for sarcasm! 

#25 SnowGlobe

SnowGlobe

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I had a couple things published as a child and have not attempted to publish since then. Right now I am just getting back into writing and I am really only at the stage of finding critique partners and beta readers.

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:00 AM

Thrash, I didn't read all these posts yet but I appreciated you saying they often don't react to really big things that are meant to be alarming. You are partially correct about it being trained. That is only part of the story. Imagine if absolutely everything assaults your senses. You block everything out just to cope and eventually you start getting accused of noticing nothing. I have gotten zeroes on tests because the teacher told us to put our books away, but I had my ears shut off at that moment. All the comments on sensory stuff are really true (tags are torture and being touched can be terrible). I find that lying and sarcasm are not typical behavior either. It isn't that we DON'T do these things but I find the people in my family prefer not to. When you spend as much time being misunderstood on accident as we do, setting yourself up to seem dishonest does not seem so appealing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users