Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

Is anyone else querying a literary (or "upmarket") novel?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 VerKur

VerKur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Several pubs in literary magazines.

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

I'm just hoping to make some contacts who are.  From my participation in blog and Twitter contests, it seemed like 90-95% of the other writers were writing YA, and almost no one was writing literary.

#2 Zaarin

Zaarin

Tolkien Acolyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 162 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

I am. Sort of. My book is science fiction but it's definitely got some literary elements. I'm a literature major, so I'd have a hard time writing anything else.

#3 VerKur

VerKur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:04 PM

Oh cool.  I write literary and some speculative.  (and some literary science fiction, which I have no idea what to do with. )

I just wanted to make some literary contacts, because it seems like the majority of people on here write YA, then there's a splash of some adult genre, and a handful of literary writers.

#4 Zaarin

Zaarin

Tolkien Acolyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 162 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:57 PM

Young adult does seem to dominate the market--makes me a little nervous about my chances at times. :( But then I consider that works like The Left Hand of Darkness and A Canticle for Leibowitz got published, either of which I'd consider literary (not that I'm comparing my work to them, mind you), and I feel a little better--like there must be at least some market for literary speculative fiction...

#5 VerKur

VerKur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:18 AM

I don't think the YA surge really decreases your chances--although it may increase the changes of YA writers. I do think literary speculative fiction is getting bigger in the literary magazine world. And I have seen a number of agents asking for genre stuff "but more literary"/ "but with a literary bent"

#6 fourteenwords

fourteenwords

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:18 PM

I'm not sure if this counts as a dead thread, but I'm a new member and my novel is literary.  Not speculative, though; just straight up literary "book club" stuff.  I'd love to chat, though, if you're still in the market for some contacts!

#7 VerKur

VerKur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

Always in the market for new contacts!  I'm normally a short story writer, but I wrote a novel last year and am in the querying process while  I continue to work on a few other projects. How about you?

#8 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,528 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:05 AM

When I'm working on a novel, it's usually along the "literary" lines. The past couple years I've been focusing on publishing more than writing; the writing I've done has been short stories primarily.

(And if any of you write horror, that's what our latest short story anthology is looking for)

#9 Kat_A_Turner

Kat_A_Turner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS South

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

I realize I'm late to this thread (I'm new), but I thought I'd chime in. I write contemporary romance that, based on my research, qualifies as upmarket. I'm anxious that that's not really a "thing," but that's a whole other story.  :unsure:

#10 loopygoose

loopygoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:26 AM

Hi, I've written Women's Commercial Fiction but it falls into the more literary segment of the genre. I think it's really tricky labelling literary. Mine is a page-turner and fairly plot-driven and yet the key to the story is the emotional arc of the female character. i had to re-write the entire book when I realised what genre it fitted into and found out that there were certain expectations in that genre which were not met by my book. It was annoying but made the book much better. I'm based in the UK and here Women's Commercial Fiction is by far the biggest market for books. It's fascinating for me to read the queries and synopses of people in a different genre. I wouldn't worry about writing literary... if the book is good and the query makes sense, then eventually I believe it will sell. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users