AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:50 AM

http://www.reuters.c...N0JX16P20141219

Really, how can you be anything but impressed and warmed by the pure simplicity of this idea -- and its staggering success.  * it should be noted this is for paperbacks, not ebooks: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0800788222

It sounds like the usual setup for a knock-knock joke: Who is the best-selling author on all of Amazon.com this holiday season? Rob Elliott. Rob Elliott who?

Yet it's no laughing matter for Rob Teigen, a father of five in Grand Rapids, Michigan who, under the pen name Rob Elliott, currently owns the No. 1 and No. 2 spots on Amazon.com’s best-selling book list, outpacing such hits as "Unbroken" and the latest from Bill O'Reilly.

"Laugh-Out-Loud Jokes for Kids," his top-seller, has sold more than 385,000 copies overall, with 90,000 this year alone, according to Nielsen BookScan, which tracks approximately 80 percent of U.S. book sales. About 70 percent those sales came via Amazon over the holiday season, Tiegen said.

#2 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

I saw it in the top 100 and was like: damn. I could have done that. LOL. Brilliant.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#3 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:52 AM

yeah, the reason why we put it in the Author & Book Promo Forum is because it's imporant to note how the success of this book is tied around the holiday season and gift giving.  It's very unlikely that this book would be this popular without finding its "niche" -- it also helps that all the major PR outlets are picking it up as "holiday" stories, and probably do that every year.

But you have to start somewhere, and you have to understand that everything has a niche.  It's very rare for a book to sell great -- all year around and certainly not to all people equally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users