#21 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,251 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion in Fall 2014.

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

Yeah, I'm having deja vu. I think we went through this on the old site once. *Twilight Zone music plays*
Stitching+Snow+Cover+Final+SMALL.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#22 MarkQuiet

MarkQuiet

Creeper

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None at the moment - trying to fix that

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:09 PM

Here is another thought for you. My YA was 180K words when I finished the second draft. The most common suggestion was "cut it in half". Yeah - doesn't work that well. What I did do was look at the multiple plots I had going on in the story. It turned out I had a main plot and several sub-plots working. I eliminated any scene that didn't contribute to the main story objective. Though it killed me to loose a lot of great scenes and I think that the reader looses a lot of "behind the scene" knowledge, I did manage to get the story down to a little over 100K words. Then by eliminating my crutch words (that, had, was, just, etc...) I managed to get the count to its current spot at just over 88K words.

It's not easy, but good luck.

#23 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:27 PM

Mark, That's why I said if I have to go through that much work, I'd rather write something new. My thought is either break it into sections or move on to the next project.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:

Michael Dunn's Cancer Battle Fund

#24 Rick Pieters

Rick Pieters

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Short story, "Winter's Birds," in Summer's Double Edge anthology from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:23 PM

RC, many thanks. I have Word 2003 on this computer, so it was a little different, but it worked! My other laptop has 2007. A small but oh so useful revelation. (I only had 4 "suddenly" in 100K, but over 1,000 "that"--mostly in dialogue.) I love new tools!

Rick

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Blog: Room to Wonder

18159598.jpg

#25 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,251 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion in Fall 2014.

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

You're welcome, Richard. :biggrin:

Now that I think about it, I need to run a check in some of my mss for "wonder(ed)". My own mother's the one who spotted I overuse it in places. :blush:
Stitching+Snow+Cover+Final+SMALL.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#26 Rick Pieters

Rick Pieters

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Short story, "Winter's Birds," in Summer's Double Edge anthology from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

Now I'm really confused. I posted a reply, it showed up answering something that looked like a different thread, so I took it off, went back and saw a reply from you, RC, but when I returned to the topic again, neither my reply or yours shows up. Hmmm. A little learning curve here, I'm thinking.

Rick

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

18159598.jpg

#27 Rick Pieters

Rick Pieters

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

Now I'm really confused. I posted a reply, it showed up answering something that looked like a different thread, so I took it off, went back and saw a reply from you, RC, but when I returned to the topic again, neither my reply or yours shows up. Hmmm. A little learning curve here, I'm thinking.

Nevermind. I was on the second page. Not used to several pages instead of seeing the whole thread laid out for a scrollback. Doh.

Rick

18159598.jpg

#28 Rick Pieters

Rick Pieters

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:46 PM

Here is another thought for you. My YA was 180K words when I finished the second draft. The most common suggestion was "cut it in half". Yeah - doesn't work that well. What I did do was look at the multiple plots I had going on in the story. It turned out I had a main plot and several sub-plots working. I eliminated any scene that didn't contribute to the main story objective. Though it killed me to loose a lot of great scenes and I think that the reader looses a lot of "behind the scene" knowledge, I did manage to get the story down to a little over 100K words. Then by eliminating my crutch words (that, had, was, just, etc...) I managed to get the count to its current spot at just over 88K words.

Yeah, my first draft was almost 180K, but I looked at getting it down to 100K as a challenge in editing. Lost lots of lyrical writing, killed some good scenes in subplots, but I did get there, and if it suffered, I learned a lot about self-editing with a harsh attitude. If it (whatever) didn't serve the story's forward motion, if it filled in backstory that was cool but unnecessary, out it went. So my take is that it's worth the effort. (Or not, for your story.)

Rick

18159598.jpg

#29 redwood

redwood

Put the edge on with coffee, take the edge off with wine!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:If you like ancient mythological fiction with threads of fantasy and romance, please check out my books, and leave me a review with your thoughts, whatever they may be.

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

Yeah, my first draft was almost 180K, but I looked at getting it down to 100K as a challenge in editing. Lost lots of lyrical writing, killed some good scenes in subplots, but I did get there, and if it suffered, I learned a lot about self-editing with a harsh attitude. If it (whatever) didn't serve the story's forward motion, if it filled in backstory that was cool but unnecessary, out it went. So my take is that it's worth the effort. (Or not, for your story.)

I do wonder a little about this from time to time. What has one (not you specifically) got left when one has cut all lyrical writing, killed all subplots, and cut the book in half (or even thirds?)

I'm pondering all this right now as I'm going through slicing things my gut tells me are important to keep, but I'm slicing anyway. :sad:

As far as my own overused word list, I've didn't use Word Cloud (although that might be a good way.) I just picked up typical overused words from all the writing sites I've visited, all the books I've read, all the writers I've edited, all the conferences I've attended, and reading my own stuff.

Another thing you have to watch out for are those pesky unusual words that are perfect----when used once. Yes, I maintain that for certain words, you can only use them once in the entire book.
“There’s no such thing as tough. There’s trained, and there’s untrained. Now which one are you?”
The Year-god's Daughter, book one in The Child of the Erinyes Series, will be published in November, 2011

#30 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

I love stories that have a rich tapestry and tell an involved story. Maybe that's why I try to write that. I also wonder when your writing dictated that the story should be 180k and you whittle it down to 100k or less, what is left? I try to tell the best story I can and keep it as free from fat to start with and by the time I finish editing it there isn't much there that isn't part of the story I set out to tell (and the story I would want to read if I was browsing in the bookstore). That is why if my writing is too long I will write something that isn't rather than cut out what I consider the life of my story.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:

Writing as Robert Courtland:

Michael Dunn's Cancer Battle Fund

#31 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,030 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:01 PM

I think that's incredible that you cut that much. Are you liking the final product? I find that editing an ms teaches me so much more than just writing something new--I used to do that, but would create the same problems again since I hadn't truly learned how to fix them/avoid them, etc. It's sort of like aversion therapy.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter *From The Write Angle

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

FREE!               $2.99         NEW Release!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users