Hehe bom dia to you too! : )

#22 Ron T Simon

Ron T Simon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Chelsea Green Publishing Company, White River Junction, Vermont.

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

Hello everyone,

Recently discovered AgentQuery. First online resource with such a large agent database I have ever seen. Great advice. The query letter section seems invaluable. 

Just to introduce myself, I am a Canadian photographer who has successfully published one book in the US. It was co-authored with a US writer.

It was my project / original proposal / title. I am the primary author with a US ISBN. I do realize that the difference may be that my co-author lives in Vermont. It was a non-fiction title with a very specific target-audience. This was 11 years ago. 

I am now looking to sell a sequel. I have the complete support of my subject. As I have had all my rights restored to the first book, we can resell this title to a new publisher if that could be of interest along side the sequel. So a second publisher would not be constrained by the first. 

Are their any agents perusing these forums who could offer advice? 

Here are a couple of links to the original title. 

http://www.publisher...8-1-931498-19-7

http://www.yesmagazi...resistance/1180

Best regards, 

Ron T Simon

Montreal Canada

timefelt@timefelt.com

http://www.theaterofmemory.com

http://www.timefelt.com

#23 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:08 PM

Hello everyone,

Recently discovered AgentQuery. First online resource with such a large agent database I have ever seen. Great advice. The query letter section seems invaluable.

Just to introduce myself, I am a Canadian photographer who has successfully published one book in the US. It was co-authored with a US writer.

It was my project / original proposal / title. I am the primary author with a US ISBN. I do realize that the difference may be that my co-author lives in Vermont. It was a non-fiction title with a very specific target-audience. This was 11 years ago.

I am now looking to sell a sequel. I have the complete support of my subject. As I have had all my rights restored to the first book, we can resell this title to a new publisher if that could be of interest along side the sequel. So a second publisher would not be constrained by the first.

Are their any agents perusing these forums who could offer advice?

Here are a couple of links to the original title.

http://www.publisher...8-1-931498-19-7

http://www.yesmagazi...resistance/1180

Best regards,

Ron T Simon
Montreal Canada
timefelt@timefelt.com

http://www.theaterofmemory.com
http://www.timefelt.com

I am not an agent, but I recommend you to consult one. Use twitter #askagent to post this question.

You could also use the 'ask' option in the blogs of various literary agencies. New Leaf Literary Agency has a tumblr blog.

#24 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:36 PM

Following are some FORMALITIES for international writers querying in the American market:

1. Complete an ITIN (International Tax Identification Number) form with the U.S. IRS.

2. Read the U.S. tax treaty with your country.

3. Complete the W8-BEN form so that the American publisher can withhold only 5% for taxes rather than the standard 30% if none of these forms are completed.

4. Your agent will wire payments in U.S. Dollars. Set-up a special bank account for this purpose.

#25 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:15 PM

Location is no barrier. I'm in New Zealand, had a 30% request rate with US agents (I always put location in my query bio) and now have a US publisher. What matters is the story. Physical location is only an issue when discussing book signings, cons and other appearances which all come *after* the book is sold and published.

Did your agent help you with the completion of U.S. tax formalities or was it a lone operation?

#26 Guest_AWExley_*

Guest_AWExley_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:44 AM

Deleted

#27 Tanja

Tanja

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:16 AM

This is very helpful advice. Thank you so much

Query:  10 DAY BETRAYAL

10 DAY CONSPIRACY

RABBIT 76 (NEW PROJECT)

Twitter: @tccorrey

#28 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:12 PM

Following are some FORMALITIES for international writers querying in the American market:

1. Complete an ITIN (International Tax Identification Number) form with the U.S. IRS.
Or an EIN depending on whether you operate as an individual or a corporation. Plus the US has now acknowledged that there is a world beyond the US coast line and now accepts your domestic tax number as suitable identification
2. Read the U.S. tax treaty with your country.
Yip, you need to know the provision in your DTA that relates to royalty income
3. Complete the W8-BEN form so that the American publisher can withhold only 5% for taxes rather than the standard 30% if none of these forms are completed.
The W8-BEN is if you have an ITIN, otherwise its the W8-BEN-E
4. Your agent will wire payments in U.S. Dollars. Set-up a special bank account for this purpose.
You do NOT need a special US bank account. Any bank can do a wire transfer to your domestic bank account, just be aware it costs about USD25.00 per transfer.

Thank you AWExley for the clarification! :)

Can you answer the specific question that I asked you in an aforementioned quote?

Thanks again!

#29 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:13 PM

I don't have an agent, I negotiate publishing contracts & meet taxation requirements on my own.

That seems like a daunting task.

Thank you for sharing! :)

#30 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:30 AM

Literary Agent Elana Roth Parker of Laura Dail Literary recently answered a few questions on reddit. She represents the very successful young adult author Kiera Cass (author of The Selection series).

This is what she had to say about representing writers from non-U.S. territories:

"(...) I don't often take on clients from other countries, and often we have to figure if it's worth the hassle of tax paperwork, but can't hurt to try!"

So, it seems like the hassle involving the extra paperwork might deter some agents from offering representation. It's all about the manuscript, but still things like this are vital. I think that a raise of the standard agent's commission from 15% to 20% for domestic right sales to compensate for the extra tax paperwork involved might be a solution.

#31 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:47 PM

Literary agent Suzie Townsend of The New Leaf Literary mentioned in author Claribel Ortega's Write or Die podcast that there are two major drawbacks for writers querying internationally: 

1.) There's more tax paperwork which isn't a problem for agents with assistants or departments dedicated to the job, but it is a drawback for the writer as they'd have to pay a higher rate of tax depending on the tax laws in their native nation. 

2.) Middle grade writers often get rejected by the publisher if they won't be able to make school visits which is especially vital in this category. If the writer is in another country, school visits in the country of publication may not be feasible hence they'd face a higher probability of getting rejected. 

You can listen to the podcast episode by clicking HERE. Go to 23 minutes and 25 seconds mark to listen to the part where the agent discusses the aforementioned drawbacks. 

#32 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,911 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:57 PM

Wow, I'd never thought of that second item. Interesting.

#33 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:23 PM

Literary agent Janet Reid of the Query Shark fame recently make a blog post about her thoughts on international clients: http://jetreidlitera...-code-what.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Young Adult, Traditional Publishing, Offbeat/Quirky

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users