#21 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:39 AM

Sure. I mostly rejected the keywords Amazon suggested; they simply weren't all that helpful. However, the ones I used might have been somewhat obvious, since it's a short story anthology.

Here's some of the data:

"short stories" nearly 17,000 impressions, 21 clicks, average cost per click: 19 cents; spent $4.03

"short story anthologies" more than 1500 impressions, 2 clicks ACPC: 23 cents; spent 46 cents

"anthology" nearly 3000 impressions, 2 clicks; ACPC 22 cents; spent 44 cents.

There were other words or phrases that also provided impressions, but several ended up with absolutely nothing. That's important too, as it means I can pretty much ignore some items as I work on targeting ads.

But I aim to massively increase the number of words/phrases I use -- especially with regard to EBP novels, but also on the anthologies.

#22 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:18 PM

I love Amazon ads. I talked about these in another thread but I encourage any author to try them. I have the most success with them over any other thing that I've tried and they take no time out of your day and you don't have to feel like your spamming your friends.

Just to share my April stats for one campaign. This is for a book that doesn't convert very well. It gets good reviews but the general feedback has been the cover doesn't do well at letting you know what the story is about so I need to update it...in all my free time but anyway. I do $1 a day and I've never actually had to pay any money because the sales have always covered the ads. I do my individual bids between .25 and .50.

128,573  Impressions in April

73       Clicks$

Spent

$14.34

Sales - these are tricky because I use ingram sparks for my print books and the sales don't covert right away. I think I had 7 ebooks, 3 kindle unlimited and 8 hard cover...for the way that it looks. So, 18 books from the ads and I did nothing to get those sales and it cost $14.34.  I had switched up my ad too and it wasn't that good of one.

The month before I had a better ad. I like to switch the words up to try new stuff and test it. But my stats for march were

378,992 Impressions in March

Clicks

Spent

$37.58

I was having issues copy and pasting it so my Average cost per sale was .19. I have no idea how many units the ads moved that month because I never went back and divided it out because I had another huge promotion going on. But basically, I paid .19 to sell several books and it was no work for me.

#23 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:19 AM

They did nothing for me. No sales, few clicks.

I think the whole market is so flooded now, it is very difficult to be "seen," even with ads and other promos.  Some genres are easier to promote than others, of course. Also, some authors have bigger platforms established and/or are more savvy at marketing than me.

I find all of it wearying. I spend money and make little back. Honestly, I don't think self-pub. is for me in the long run.

#24 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

I wanted to bump this up a bit again. I'm finding success once again on the Amazon Marketing Services with ad campaigns. Most specifically for one book, Tales from the Bully Box, which was the anthology we did about anti-bullying. Before we published, I tried to create partnerships with groups that combat bullying in schools, to no avail. But with recent success, I may try it again. I don't have the numbers in front of me at the moment, but I believe we've sold the most paperback copies even in one month, and the month isn't over.

On that book this month, I've spent less than $12 and grossed nearly $18 in books, so roughly breaking even in terms of net.

What's different is I've done more work on finding appropriate keywords. I actually bought a product -- Keyword Rocket, or something like that -- which enabled me to do a better job of researching keywords. It cut that time down enormously. I used to spend hours on that with little success and now I can spend a lunch hour on it for several books. I've modified the words on my Kindle versions for pretty much all the EBP books now, most of which I hadn't touched since launching the individual books. Considering how little I knew about how Amazon worked initially, it's a wonder I sold anything at all; on a couple books, I almost wasn't.

I think the jury's still out on the AMS campaigns, but at least for one book, I'm very pleased. Now I need to continue to modify the campaigns on other books.

#25 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

I launched a couple more campaigns. The one for Bully Box, once again, has been successful so far. Since I launched the effort using AMS keyword ad campaigns, I've sold six paperbacks and an ebook. It may not sound like much, but the cost-per-click and the advertising cost on sales have both been very good. The other campaign, however, has not been effective yet, beyond the always helpful number of impressions. But we need sales beyond impressions. Will refine the campaign over the weekend and launch a couple more that are more targeted with more specific ad copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users