Disclaimer

Photo

Are Facebook author pages still worth it now that Facebook is killing organic reaches?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:06 AM

This is an old article (almost four months), but we're a month and a bit into the new year and this was to start in January, so it's relevant.

http://www.thehubcom...icle/383759/   

I'm thinking about deleting mine. I can just as easily post what I need on my profile page. I don't do a lot of advertising for my books to start with, so it won't be like I'm flooding my feed with ads, and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for promotion on Facebook.

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:18 PM

what is "organic reach"?

#3 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

I have no freaking idea.

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

#4 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:22 AM

Organic reach is how many people see your post in their feed without you paying to boost it. While this article is from November, various "experts" have been saying the same things for much longer, even before whatever changes mentioned here. And if you click through to read the linked article about those changes, you might think it's not a huge deal and may not affect you very much. It seems mostly concerned with brands that reuse the same content (practices that will get you marked as a spammer on other sites).

I haven't seen any massive decrease in my post reach. And I just started a brand new page that only has 41 likes so far, but the couple posts I've made have reached anywhere from 18 to 42 people (so far) with some decent engagement. Although the reach breakdown shows that for the most part, the posts have been seen by more non- fans than fans, but I think that's too be expected at this stage while I'm encouraging friends and family to like the page and some do from a link, without actually visiting the page, and some may visit the page but not like it. But I've also gotten likes from friends of friends.

So no, I don't think they're dead and useless.

#5 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:50 AM

My FB reach dropped dramatically after FB made the changes for posts from Author pages. It stayed low for about three weeks, and now it's back up to where it was before. One trick I've used is sharing my Author posts on my personal profile. It seems to make a difference.

The best news? Tuesday's post with a picture of my books arriving in the mail had a reach of 821! Yay! That's a big, big improvement over the paltry numbers of 75-100 during the first weeks of January.

JeanneG

#6 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

One trick I've used is sharing my Author posts on my personal profile. It seems to make a difference.

I do this too. 

#7 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:47 AM

Two things we've noticed:

1. The more we post, the less organic reach we get.

This seems to be a consistent thing because we noticed this early on as well.

Posting every other day, or every two days, gives us about a 1000+ reach.  Once a day, gives us about 300-400 reach.  Add the totals together and they're about the same.

2. We just posted the perfect photo + tagline combo.  We knew we nailed it the moment we came up with the post.  It was the perfect tie-in for our book and what we know our audience loves...

No hashtags, second post of the day, and BOOM --> that sucker just took off and we had over 1000+ reach in something like... less than 4 hours.

So in the end, like what Jeanne experienced --> photo plus the perfect tag that plays to your audience stills equals == great organic reach.

#8 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:49 PM

I've taken to doing a "Billy Bobble Quote of the Week" that I boost for $5.

The boosting helps me reach younger readers. My fans are mostly in their 40s-50s because they came from my friends and Dances With Filmmakers. That's great for parents and grandparents, but if I want to reach teens, I need to target them. I also get to target based on other books, like Harry Potter, Ender's Game, etc.

For $5, my reach runs between 2K and 3K, with anywhere from 3-10 link clicks.

I'm right in the middle of a blog review tour, so I've been boosting posts with the reviews as well. Sometimes the links go to the blogger's site, so that's most likely not a sale, but I look at advertising as a way to raise awareness at this point. When book 2 is out, it won't have to break so much new ground.

That, and the reviews have all been fantastic, so maybe I'm just bragging. :) 

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#9 WornTraveler

WornTraveler

Knows Nothing & Takes Nothing Seriously

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:20 AM

Seems to be most people who've examined it concluded the strategy's still effective.

But even if the changes greatly reduced a page's utility, it doesn't seem like it would hurt to maintain one. Granted I have zero experience in any of this and am more or less guessing entirely (not even an educated guess), but it doesn't seem it would be a significant time drain to pop on every few days and work up something worth posting.

If a post reaches even ONE person, well, maybe that's the one person who's about to go and buy your book, and then tell everybody they know how freakin' awesome it was. While the chances of that happening obviously are low, it costs you basically nothing. The gamble seems acceptable from a purely cost-benefit perspective.

TOPIC INACTIVE- Not currently requiring feedback at this time.

http://agentquerycon...sy/#entry254271

#10 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:46 AM

This seems to be the consensus. Many authors I know who have a page, myself included, are thumbing their nose at the whole article, and I don't blame them. I get a fairly decent reach, depending on what I post, and I cross post everything to my Facebook profile page too. 

#11 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

If the pages I have (author and one for each novel) were a huge time suck I would spend time agonizing about them and their reach (or non-reach), but they aren't.  I like having very focused pages -- exciting discovery about Pompeii goes on one page, 13th century history another, Valois family facts a third.  And I probably spend not more than 30 minutes a week on all of them combined.  

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#12 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:10 PM

I've used a simple trick from time to time.  First share the promotional page on my personal timeline, then I tag it with the largest group of friends that FB would allow.  (It was about 25 the last time I did this.)  After a few days I untagged those 25 and then tagged the next.  I have only one friend who has objected to this treatment.

This insurred that every one of my 250 plus FB friends saw my post as did many of their friends, and if my friends "liked" the post that like was realayed to many of theirs.

I started doing this years ago when FB started the traffic limiting practices based on how you rated your friends.

#13 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:35 PM

Clever! I've been sharing Author page posts on my personal timeline but never thought of tagging.

Thanks for the tip.

#14 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:54 PM

Re the tagging idea – – I would be careful! I hate being tagged in something that is not legit (by which I mean a discussion specifically referring to me or a picture actually showing me). I've noticed this trend lately people tagging me to attract my attention to their advertising type posts. Because I personally think it can look misleading to others – – as if I am endorsing whatever they are promoting – – I always untag myself at a minimum and quite often end up on friending the person.
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#15 Mallory

Mallory

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:48 PM

I've used a simple trick from time to time.  First share the promotional page on my personal timeline, then I tag it with the largest group of friends that FB would allow.  (It was about 25 the last time I did this.)  After a few days I untagged those 25 and then tagged the next.  I have only one friend who has objected to this treatment.

This insurred that every one of my 250 plus FB friends saw my post as did many of their friends, and if my friends "liked" the post that like was realayed to many of theirs.

I started doing this years ago when FB started the traffic limiting practices based on how you rated your friends.

I automatically unfriend whoever does this. Be careful, because a lot of people consider this very rude.

“I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.”

-Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

https://twitter.com/croweink

#16 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:59 PM

Yeah, I'll do just about anything promotion-wise, but I HATE being tagged in something that I'm not involved with - so I would never do that to anyone else.

Funny thing now is that I'm up to 3,000+ friends on Facebook - mostly filmmakers from Dances With Films - and 499 likes on my author's page. Lately when I've boosted a post of a review or something, I get more organic hits than paid ones.  Make me wonder if I should stop boosting.

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#17 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:03 AM

I repeat, only one of my friends objected, and so far as I can tell none of them unfriended me or at least very few.

It is very possible that this has everything to do with those I am willing to "friend".  If there's not a developed personal relationship I don't do it.  Some of those friendships were developed only on Facebook, but those were only cultivated after it was clear we had a lot in common.  I don't abuse anybody, and I get quite remarkable responses from my practices this way.  This may be an issue of personality and practice as much as anything.

#18 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. More recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published two novels and a short story collection.

Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:30 PM

I repeat, only one of my friends objected, and so far as I can tell none of them unfriended me or at least very few.

Only one friend that has actually said anything to you, of course... lol. I find tagging in things that don't directly relate to me highly annoying, whether it's from my sister or an author I've known for years or one I've known for a few hours. And just because no one else has said anything or actually unfriended you doesn't mean they haven't mentally strangled you and promised never to buy your future books lol (or just hidden all of your posts from their feed.)

#19 Ann Robertson

Ann Robertson

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Working on it.

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:19 PM

Yeah, I'll do just about anything promotion-wise, but I HATE being tagged in something that I'm not involved with - so I would never do that to anyone else.

Funny thing now is that I'm up to 3,000+ friends on Facebook - mostly filmmakers from Dances With Films - and 499 likes on my author's page. Lately when I've boosted a post of a review or something, I get more organic hits than paid ones.  Make me wonder if I should stop boosting.

Hi RSMellette, wanted to let you know that the wonderful world of Facebook (not!) will change your personal Facebook to a page when you hit the magic number (I don't know said number) but my husband hit 5400 and it turned his profile into a page and with that he lost almost all 5400 followers immediately. :( I doubt they have stopped the stupid practice but he had to go and start a brand new profile and his numbers are only at 350 (he's a guru in the car restoration field so people seek him out) Just wanted to give you a heads up :)

Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity. :biggrin:

#20 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:14 PM

Good to know. :) I hope I have such problems (sort of).

by R.S. Mellette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users