#1 KC Rivers

KC Rivers

Official fangirl since Ocarina of Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first novel, "Prince of Light," is now available for Amazon Kindle.

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:25 PM

I got a request from an editor at Jolly Fish Press after participating in PitMad yesterday, and I just wondered if anyone had heard of them. (I had not.) I googled them and didn't see any major red flags or forums, Absolute Write seemed fairly positive, and while they weren't listed on Preditors and Editors (that I saw), they do work with Independent Publishers Group, which seems to be a legitimate and "well thought of" establishment.

They seem to have decent royalties, their books are available through all major distributors, and they market fairly well for their size. My only concern, if you can call it that, is while their covers are very lovely and professional, there don't seem to be many sales on places like Amazon and B&N. I know part of that is because they're pretty new and have only had these titles out for a year or so, maybe two, but I'm not sure what to make of it at the same time.

Anyone had any experience with them?

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:25 PM

I know people who are published by them. They are totally legitimate, and do hardcover as well paperback and e-books for most of their titles.

Not sure about the sales part. I would just say -- a lot of smaller, indie presses have more limited promotion. So, you have to weigh that. But if you're willing to work with a smaller press, I think they are good.

#3 KC Rivers

KC Rivers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first novel, "Prince of Light," is now available for Amazon Kindle.

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:58 PM

Thank you! They seemed like a decent company, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. :smile: I have nothing against small presses at all, I'm just not familiar enough with very many of them to know what's decent sales-wise and what's not. The fact that their covers are as fantastic as they are was a big plus in my book.

#4 John_R_Berkowitz

John_R_Berkowitz

I was sent here to study you people.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Nothing published.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

KC,

I have a full out with Jolly Fish, and am also curious about them.  Have you heard back from them, or gone any further with them since their initial request?

Am I Doing This Right?

Writing the middle grade novel and living to tell about it.

#5 KC Rivers

KC Rivers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:58 PM

John - I did hear back from them once after they received my full. (They initially requested a partial, then asked for the full manuscript.) After they requested the full, they had a few more questions regarding me and story, but I have not heard back since then. Generally speaking, I've been told to allow anywhere from 4-8 weeks for agents/presses to make a decision. I figure especially if they have notes or want any kind of revisions, then that makes sense. So far, they're still well within that time period on my manuscript. They've been in contact with me in some way or another every 3-4 weeks so far. Hope that helps! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users