#1 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:23 PM

Here's a topic every writer needs to consider these days...

What's harder to do? Find an agent, or find an audience?

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#2 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

Audience, hands down. Getting a book traditionally published doesn't guarantee readers and/or reviews. Authors, even those published by the big houses, are scrambling to get the attention of readers.

It's a tough world out there, but the greatest pleasure for me is the positive reader feedback. I received an amazing hearttfelt review on a blog the other day where the reviewer compared me to Madeline L'Engle! Wow!

I think you just have to keep moving forward, keep promoting the book(s) you have out there, and keep writing new books.

Jeanne

#3 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:10 PM

Yes, I agree. 

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#4 Whimsical_Werecat

Whimsical_Werecat

The Prowler of Prose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Award-winning short story, FINAL FLIGHT, published by Starsea Press via Smashwords.

Short story, THE DROWNER, placed Highly Commended in InkTears 2014 international short story competition.

KIN SEEKER (Book One in the Dragon Calling series), published by Starsea Press, available in eBook and paperback at all leading online retailers.

THE BEACON THRONES(Book Two in the Dragon Calling Series), published by Starsea Press, available in eBook and paperback at all leading online retailers.

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:55 AM

Finding your audience is definitely the bigger challenge of the two. And it's ongoing. Once the ball is rolling and word-of-mouth is helping things along, finding your target audience takes on a life of its own. But you still need to keep your hands on the steering wheel and your foot on the accelerator.

cover-art-kin-seeker-text-2-100x150.jpg                            cover-art-beacon-thrones-3-100x150.jpg                            final-flight-ebook-cover-100x150.jpg
KIN SEEKER                                    BEACON THRONES                        FINAL FLIGHT
Book One of Dragon Calling         Book Two of Dragon Calling           Starsea Press
Starsea Press                                  Starsea Press

Facebook                                       Facebook
Goodreads                                     Goodreads
Pinterest                                         Pinterest

#5 MJ O'Neill

MJ O'Neill

In the waiting game

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:On submission.

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:13 PM

I think this all depends where you're standing. To those who don't have an agent yet, finding an audience seems like a first world problem. Unless they self publish, they don't think ANYONE will ever see their work. Ever. When you're on the other side of the agent hunt, you realize the race is only just beginning. 

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate of everyone drops to 0 – Chuck from Fight Club

Stop by my blog     Follow me on twitter

#6 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:42 PM

I can't imagine writing without an audience in mind.  That's who I'm talking to.  The only question is what is the best means of reaching them?

#7 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:05 AM

Hey, Tom - the audience in your mind is a breeze. It's getting those imaginary people shell out real cash that's hard. :)

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#8 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:41 AM

Audience because the number of people turning to books for entertainment is contracting and the supply of books is burgeoning as self-publishing takes off and traditional publishers throw more books at the wall hoping some of them will stick.  I am sure I am not the only one who occasionally has desperate thoughts. Last week I told a friend I was considering a "buy my book and I will lick a squirrel" promotion. She pointed out a "buy my book and I will clean your house" offer might work better. Not that she wasn't up for seeing me lick a squirrel . . . 

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#9 Mallory

Mallory

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

I suppose I never queried very widely, but finding an audience was much easier for me than going the agent route. But what qualifies as an "audience"? It's a very relative term...

“I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.”

-Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

https://twitter.com/croweink

#10 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:19 PM

I used this before.  My much flogged book is very much about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder among combat veterans.  The image of the audience that I keep in mind isn't a guy who owns a Kindle, and probably doesn't even own a computer.  I see him at the station leaving town to start over yet again, and I hope he picks my book from the spinner rack because he thinks  a quick thriller might be a good way to pass the time on his way to Twin Falls.  By the time he gets there I hope to have changed his life.

#11 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:05 PM

Hey, Tom - check out the film FRAY. It's an indie on that same subject matter and it friggin' rocks! You can get it on Amazon.

Mallory, I'd define an audience as "enough paying readers to let you quit your day job - or earn out, if you got an advance."

by R.S. Mellette

#12 Mallory

Mallory

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:29 PM

Mallory, I'd define an audience as "enough paying readers to let you quit your day job - or earn out, if you got an advance."

Then I'd say finding an audience is easier.

“I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.”

-Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

https://twitter.com/croweink

#13 Andrea Lambert

Andrea Lambert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:My first book, JET SET DESOLATE, was published by Future Fiction London in 2009. My second, a book of poetry called LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN, was published by valeveil in 2009. Lost Angelene published my chapbook, G(U)ILT, in 2011. My poetry has been anthologized in HAUNTING MUSES, WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES, OFF THE ROCKS #16: AN ANTHOLOGY OF GLBT WRITING, THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK VOL. 1, YOU’VE PROBABLY READ THIS BEFORE, and CHRONOMETRY. My work has been published in 3:AM Magazine, The Fanzine, Entropy, HTMLGiant, ENCLAVE, Queer Mental Health, Five:2:One Magazine and elsewhere.

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

This is an excellent and relevant question. 

I think finding an agent is harder, at least it has been for me.

I have already found my audience through small press publishing and social media, like Twitter and the like. I have had people approach me on Facebook chat and say they are fans. I always say yes to their friend requests. I'm usually a fan of them once I learn something about them too. By doing readings, by self-publishing (which I haven't done, but some people love), by social media, by publishing chapbooks, you can build an audience for your work before you ever get an agent. Then when the time comes,  (hopefully, anyway, so I am hoping) the agent may be more willing to take a chance on you because you have already spent the time in the trenches building your audience.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndreaLamber

GoodReads Author bio: https://www.goodread....Andrea_Lambert

Amazon author bio: https://www.amazon.c...ine_cont_book_1

JET SET DESOLATE from Future Fiction London on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0578016257

LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN: EXTRAPOLATIONS ON LOS ANGELES from valeveil: http://www.valeveil.se/posts/196

HAUNTING MUSES from Bedazzled Ink on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/194383752X

WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES from Trans-Genre Press: http://trans-genre.n...the-walls-down/

THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK, VOL. 1 from ARRAS.NET: http://www.arras.net/?page_id=658

#14 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

FYI for the legit industry to take note of your indie market you have to sell in the 10s of thousands of books. Figuring a sales percentage of 1 percent of social media friends (which is a fair guess) you'll have to have 100,000 facebook friends to make a minimum impression on the publishing industry.

by R.S. Mellette

#15 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:20 PM

This is an excellent and relevant question. 

I think finding an agent is harder, at least it has been for me.

I have already found my audience through small press publishing and social media, like Twitter and the like. I have had people approach me on Facebook chat and say they are fans. I always say yes to their friend requests. I'm usually a fan of them once I learn something about them too. By doing readings, by self-publishing (which I haven't done, but some people love), by social media, by publishing chapbooks, you can build an audience for your work before you ever get an agent. Then when the time comes,  (hopefully, anyway, so I am hoping) the agent may be more willing to take a chance on you because you have already spent the time in the trenches building your audience.

I would agree with all of this.  

It's easy to build an audience if you have the means: social media, web presence, contact lists, etc.  I've been in the indie film industry making films for the exact topic of my book, so even getting airplay on television and radio wouldn't be a problem.  

Finding an agent . . . . . . that's a near insurmountable task it seems.  

#16 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

I still find this interesting.

I've managed to get 3,000+ friends on facebook - which I would say is 3% of a MINIMUM audience.

I am an associate director of a 19-year-old film festival in Los Angeles, and the festival itself has 8% of a minimum audience.

So, I guess the question is, how do you define an audience?

Yes, of course, each individual reader is important - but a play that only sells 3% of it's tickets isn't going to stay open.

by R.S. Mellette

#17 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:30 PM

I still find this interesting.

I've managed to get 3,000+ friends on facebook - which I would say is 3% of a MINIMUM audience.

I am an associate director of a 19-year-old film festival in Los Angeles, and the festival itself has 8% of a minimum audience.

So, I guess the question is, how do you define an audience?

Yes, of course, each individual reader is important - but a play that only sells 3% of it's tickets isn't going to stay open.

During my short stint in economics, and my long and torturous time as a journalist, the question that was always being asked was:

"How do we get people that would otherwise NOT buy . . . to buy?"

I think that's really the issue.  We know that certain people are going to read a 300 page book.  Even less are going to read a 300 page science fiction or YA fantasy.  Even less are going to read that same novel if it has a male or female character, and so forth.  The challenge is getting new blood interested in something they wouldn't normally be interested in.

#18 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:35 PM

During my short stint in economics, and my long and torturous time as a journalist, the question that was always being asked was:

"How do we get people that would otherwise NOT buy . . . to buy?"

I think that's really the issue.  We know that certain people are going to read a 300 page book.  Even less are going to read a 300 page science fiction or YA fantasy.  Even less are going to read that same novel if it has a male or female character, and so forth.  The challenge is getting new blood interested in something they wouldn't normally be interested in.

Even before that - you have to get 100,000 people to even know your book exists.

by R.S. Mellette

#19 Andrea Lambert

Andrea Lambert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:My first book, JET SET DESOLATE, was published by Future Fiction London in 2009. My second, a book of poetry called LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN, was published by valeveil in 2009. Lost Angelene published my chapbook, G(U)ILT, in 2011. My poetry has been anthologized in HAUNTING MUSES, WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES, OFF THE ROCKS #16: AN ANTHOLOGY OF GLBT WRITING, THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK VOL. 1, YOU’VE PROBABLY READ THIS BEFORE, and CHRONOMETRY. My work has been published in 3:AM Magazine, The Fanzine, Entropy, HTMLGiant, ENCLAVE, Queer Mental Health, Five:2:One Magazine and elsewhere.

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:26 PM

Even if your audience is small and niche it is still an audience, and if that small cult of dedicated fans who one nurtures by being kind to consistently buys ones books as well as anyone you've ever known who's in them it's something at least. That's more what I'm trying to hope for in my work.

I never expected widespread fame as you speak of MS Melette. I'm sure that's great. I'm just going for small time cult classic sort of thing. I'm aware that's all I'm ever going to be able to manage with my niche subject matter & I'm okay with that because the people do do really like my work do really like and read it. And I am thankful to them and I know many of their names.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with doing things small and DIY. I came up in the late nineties doing zines and showing my art in coffeeshops and punk space. You have to start somewhere and you start with what you're got. Twenty years later some of those same paintings are coming out on online magazines and I'm like thanks Internet. Technology is a blessing to the independent writer who doesn't want to pay for representation. 

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that there are other paths for writers then the all out success of agentry and the all out oblivion of self-publishing. Don't forget that building a niche audience over a long amount of time can get you a rewarding following as well. Underground artists like Patti Smith, Ali Liebegott and Eileen Myles did the same thing.

There are many paths on this writting game that all of us are playing. Don't give up.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndreaLamber

GoodReads Author bio: https://www.goodread....Andrea_Lambert

Amazon author bio: https://www.amazon.c...ine_cont_book_1

JET SET DESOLATE from Future Fiction London on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0578016257

LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN: EXTRAPOLATIONS ON LOS ANGELES from valeveil: http://www.valeveil.se/posts/196

HAUNTING MUSES from Bedazzled Ink on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/194383752X

WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES from Trans-Genre Press: http://trans-genre.n...the-walls-down/

THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK, VOL. 1 from ARRAS.NET: http://www.arras.net/?page_id=658

#20 J.A. Hunter

J.A. Hunter

Penmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a proud indie publisher and full-time penmonkey with five books out.

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

For me, finding an agent proved to be a nearly insurmountable task. An audience, though? Much, much easier. Two-years ago I was still waiting on countless form rejections to roll in, but now I’m making my living entirely as a writer. I released a three book series and have sold somewhere north of 40,000 books over the past year and a half, but those numbers still weren’t enough to attract an agent for the first book in a new series (same universe). Though, admittedly, I didn’t try super hard.

Audience can be a tough one to pin down, but I don’t judge that based on social media stats. I have maybe 300 Twitter followers and about as many fans of my Facebook author page, but I’ll be the first to admit I put in almost no time or effort on social media. In my experience, social media doesn’t really drive sales, so mostly I focus on writing (though I am actively building my mailing list). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users