#1 S.H. Marr

S.H. Marr

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:One novel by an indie publisher.

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:14 AM

So I've been breaking from querying, so I hadn't checked my query email in a while, but I did today...and found an agent requesting to add me on LinkedIn??? An agent that had rejected me?

I know a lot of agents hate when querying authors try to add them in LinkedIn, so I thought I thought I'd share this weird story of the exact opposite.

#2 Selene Bell

Selene Bell

Still feels like a new member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Working on that! None yet. I'm a copy editor at a medium-sized daily newspaper.

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:02 PM

That same thing happened to me last week! I decided to ignore it. What'd you do?

Confessions of a Binge Reader -- www.selene-bell.com -- for query tips, book recommendations and other interesting minutia

@selene_bell

#3 S.H. Marr

S.H. Marr

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:23 PM

The same. I figure he accidentally linked his account and it sent out invites.

#4 Jinsune

Jinsune

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published four flash fictions.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:04 AM

I just had a similar experience, only it's a publisher, not an agent. I posted a comment on the publisher's website regarding some questions for their anthology submission calls. I only filled in the box that asked for an email and I used my initials in the name box since they were required fields. And now I'm being followed on Twitter by the owner of the publishing house. It's pretty weird because I never put my twitter or website urls in the boxes since they were optional (I'm not sure how the owner of the publishing press found me). It's a small press and (from what I understand from the website) is operated by one person.

I've never had this happen before, has anyone else?

#5 S.H. Marr

S.H. Marr

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:43 PM

I just had a similar experience, only it's a publisher, not an agent. I posted a comment on the publisher's website regarding some questions for their anthology submission calls. I only filled in the box that asked for an email and I used my initials in the name box since they were required fields. And now I'm being followed on Twitter by the owner of the publishing house. It's pretty weird because I never put my twitter or website urls in the boxes since they were optional (I'm not sure how the owner of the publishing press found me). It's a small press and (from what I understand from the website) is operated by one person.

I've never had this happen before, has anyone else?

Not exactly that, but an agent's assistant sent me a form and I had the audacity to ask for feedback....which he actually gave, and has been following me on twitter ever since (and my email didn't have a link to my twitter, so that's a thing).

#6 Jinsune

Jinsune

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:01 PM

Yeah, that's pretty weird.

#7 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:23 PM

Linked in is a vulture.  Lots of people don't realize how often they send automated things to emails they have no intention of being professional contacts with.The twitter stuff is a little weirder--but are you active on twitter?  Do you follow and tweet on hashtags that the publisher would follow?  PUblishing is a small world and genre specific stuff is even smaller.  Could be a coincidence?

#8 Jinsune

Jinsune

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:43 PM

If you're asking me, Thrash, I found out from a writer friend of mine that certain websites enable the owners/admins to search for you on social media and other places as well by using your email alone. A lot of websites make you fill in your email in order to post comments, and that info is logged and saved. Apparently that's what happened and the owner of the publisher found me on Twitter and started following me. I talked it over with some other writers who thought I was being paranoid, and In the end I decided not to submit. I made a good decision because I asked around on Absolute Write and learned some not so good stuff about the publisher.

I am active on twitter, and the only time I hashtag is when I'm talking about editing or writing, never genre specific stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users