#1 gckatz

gckatz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:43 PM

This is a good example of the importance of revising your query and pages if they aren't working. First round, 38 queries, 1 partial and 1 full. I revised my query and especially my first chapter. Second round, 40 queries, 11 fulls, 2 partials, and 2 eventual offers, for a success rate of 32%.

Eighteen-year-old tomboy Valya and the boy next door, Pasha, breathlessly follow the adventures of Soviet air navigator Marina Raskova. When World War II breaks out and Valya discovers that Raskova is getting airwomen into combat, she's first in line. Valya hopes to become a fighter pilot, but Raskova assigns her to the night bombers. Instead of a high-tech Yak-1, Valya ends up flying a wood and canvas biplane no faster than a car.

On the front, Valya braves anti-air guns, blinding searchlights, and deadly Luftwaffe night fighters, all under the command of an air force that still believes women are only suited for the home front. When Pasha, now a Red Army radio operator, finds himself trapped behind enemy lines, one small aircraft might be able to slip through. Valya sees her chance to rescue the boy who has begun to capture her heart—but in Stalin's Russia, defying orders could land both of them in front of a firing squad.

Valya's regiment, the 46th Guards, really existed. Its aviators so terrified the Wehrmacht that the German soldiers nicknamed them the “Night Witches,” yet the brave Soviet women and girls who served in World War II are little known in the West. My 84,000-word YA historical novel, AMONG THE RED STARS, highlights many of these real-life heroes. It is a semi-epistolary novel that will appeal to fans of FLYGIRL and CODE NAME VERITY. It was an alternate in Pitch Wars 2014 and was also featured in PitchMAS 2014.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:THE MIRROR OF IMMORTALITY series (YA Fantasy)-- Snowy Wings Publishing, 2017-18, THE OTHERS adult scifi trilogy -- White Tulip Press, 2017-18.

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:48 PM

Congratulations!!

#3 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:20 PM

Congrats that's awesome!

YA Author ♔ Writer

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

#4 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) travels forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:19 PM

Bravo! Congrats on taking the next big step!

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#5 Click

Click

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationAfrica
  • Publishing Experience:My poems are scattered across the web and hard to find, which is why I call them fairy dust ;) My Smashwords page: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/Promentory

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:35 AM

I really want to read this novel! Pleasepleaseplease let me know when it's published.
A young girl battles with her conscience
as she attempts to escape her
kidnapper's grasp, once and for all. - My new, free short story, Hush https://www.smashwor...oks/view/534254

#6 kimmie

kimmie

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:None but hoping to change that someday soon

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:09 AM

Congrats!!!

#7 khobar

khobar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I wrote a Linux column for Computer Buyer magazine - about 30 articles published. Most recently published a SciFi short story in Tales of the Talisman magazine.

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:09 PM

This is a good example of the importance of revising your query and pages if they aren't working. First round, 38 queries, 1 partial and 1 full. I revised my query and especially my first chapter. Second round, 40 queries, 11 fulls, 2 partials, and 2 eventual offers, for a success rate of 32%.

Congratulations! 

Just curious - did you query any of the same agents the second time around?

#8 adr90

adr90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:"The Gods' Wager," short story published by New Realms Magazine

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:40 AM

This is so awesome. I'm obsessed with the Night Witches!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Adventure, Historical Fiction, Young Adult

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users