#1 Kevin1374

Kevin1374

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

The Shadow Council, an aggressive imperial organization, wants to destroy the tiny nation Sanctuary of Light. With the largest invasion force the world has seen, their fleet of airships head to their island suspended fifteen thousand feet in the air. Their mission, to wipe the nation from existence.

Marlexis, a warlock of unimaginable power that can devastate entire armies, has escaped his death sentence for war crimes against the Shadow Council. Evading the deadly creatures inside the Dark Forest, he runs into a patrol from the Shadow army who are unaware of his identity. He successfully infiltrates the army he wishes to destroy. With this second chance, he is more determined to succeed with his plans and goes well until he finds himself growing an attachment to a small group of men that can put his plans in jeopardy and to make things worse, he finds himself in one of the Legions that is part of the invasion force. With the ever growing stress from others, Marlexis is finding it hard to control his anger and if he blows it, all of his dreams will come crashing down. Worry of capture is not the only thing on his mind now, but what will happen if his new friends find out his true identity.

As Marlexis begins his trail of lies to keep his identity hidden, another possess gambling problems. Beryn, a respected officer of the Sanctuary of Light, uses a Mage created portal initiates unauthorized attacks on outposts owned by the Shadow Army. Unknown to him another is playing the same game. As his luck begins to run out, he soon finds himself making some really tough decisions that could cost him, his career and the lives of the men under his command. The only question now is will Beryn and the Light army be ready for the onslaught that is about to take place?

KOUNCIL OF THE REALM: THE INVASION is a 74,000 word adult fantasy novel set in a medieval era with a mix of postindustrial and modern technology such as airships and steam engines just to name a few.  The novel will appeal to fans of the DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS book collection with the feel of the HALO novels with the more action filled pace. KOUNCIL OF THE REALM: THE INVASION is book one of a four book series with story lines drawn out for the readers to continue their adventure through this new world.

When I first started working on this project, it was intended to be a video game, taking courses in computer programming and design. Unable to get a team together the idea was scrapped but it didn't stop me from developing a prototype trading card game. As I continued working on the card game, having to address detail to the cards,I soon realized there was enough information to write a book. With my fascination with warfare and inspiration from Lord of the Rings, World of Warcraft, and Halo has sent me on an exciting journey into a new world.

Thank you for taking time to read this letter. The manuscript is ready to be submitted on your request.

Day after submission the agent asked for the full manuscript. My only thing now is that it has been three weeks. Their website states if I do not get a reply from the query letter then the agent is not interested, but what about the manuscript? The agent has their contact information but research say it can take 4+ weeks depending on the number of manuscripts the agent has.

#2 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:07 AM

Relax. It can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks to respond to a full request. And congrats :)

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

#3 BCVail

BCVail

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:00 PM

I just got an email from an agent saying they were just now starting to read through... after the initial request and sending it in over 5 months ago. Three weeks is nothing... I'd suggest writing something new to keep from dwelling on the wait.

#4 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult, steampunk and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction. My first pro fiction sale was THE TALE OF NAMELESS CHAMELEON (recommended reading by Tangent Online) to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Most recent publications: EMBRACE OF THE PLANETS Sept-October 2014 Magazine of F&Sf. SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY November 2014 FICTION RIVER PAST CRIME ANTHOLOGY, GOOLIE UNRULY, Feb 2015 SKYWARRIOR BOOKS FIRST CONTACT CAFE ANTHOLOGY, GRET, BLACKGUARDS/BLACKLIST ANTHOLOGY from Ragnarok Publications, ST JEAN AND THE DRAGON May 2015 FICTION RIVER ALCHEMY AND STEAM ANTHOLOGY. I am currently at work on a Mythic Epic Fantasy series set in a Parallel Universe.

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:48 AM

This process takes a while. You are sending out submissions to other agents as well, right?

#5 jr9701

jr9701

I like pickles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:16 PM

Concentrate on submitting other queries. No need to dwell on one lead after 4 weeks.

#6 Kevin1374

Kevin1374

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:00 PM

No go and another agent sent me a denial because the Market is not looking for Fantasy novels atm. Did check out amazon and barnes and nobles and not a single Fantasy novel in the top 100 book sales. I have sent Query letters to about 8 other agents but nothing yet. Im not sure if I should work on letter more. The part that is really stopping me right now is putting together a 1 to 2 page sypnosis with two main characters. There are a number of agents that request and this is stopping me from sending out more.

Sorry for the late reply, did not get notification of the replies.

#7 Gruffbane

Gruffbane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published a children's book and won two awards from Writers of the Future

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:25 AM

"The part that is really stopping me right now is putting together a 1 to 2 page sypnosis with two main characters. "

Imagine what this is like when you have 9 main characters.

Now I know that agents think that only authors who are already famous should be writing multiple POV books. Martin's query for Game of Thrones is one of the ugliest and most incomplete I've ever seen, but he got the advance immediately. He's allowed 64 main characters but they want to limit you and me to one.

I would suggest lying.

Write a synopsis for only one character, and if the book's good they won't care. If they ask later why you didn't do a synopsis for both,  tell them "Oh yeah I forgot to update that synopsis...it was a tale that grew in the telling."

If you get a chance to stop by and tell me what you think of my own query, here's the link:  http://agentquerycon...-adult-fantasy/

#8 Gruffbane

Gruffbane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published a children's book and won two awards from Writers of the Future

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:12 PM

I'm really interested in the progress of this one because I'm also working on a game for my universe that will be released will Shards Online.

I've stopped telling agents about this, and about the music album I'm recording for it...even though the music album will be reviewed in international magazines. They just don't seem to care and I feel it's over-selling.

I've also stopped trying to tell agents why my book is the first of it's kind, and am making it out to be just a fantasy novel.

If I tell them that I'm providing redemption to all fans of fantasy by proving the existence of ogres, trolls, dwarfs, dragons, unicorns, giants and magic during Asia's neolithic via prehistoic fiction,  with footnotes  from peer reviewed scientific journals and historic accounts, they run for the hills.

They just think Clan of the Cave Bear, Unga-Bunga, and dinosaurs.

I'm also very glad to see that a new author can get a read for a part of a trilogy.

I've been told that agents don't like this, and would rather see a stand-alone with series potential.

Mine just barely fits into the latter, because all of the characters and storylines come to a complete arc.... but by the end you still don't know exactly what two of the characters have to do with the others, you just know they live in the same world and share some of the same knowledge and beliefs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users