#1 Sherry1781

Sherry1781

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:59 AM

I've recently started querying agents for my YA novel, and also participated in pitmad on Twitter last week. I got a request from someone at Entangled to submit my work, but I'm torn about doing it and am looking for advice from you guys. I really would like to go the agent/traditional publishing route, and Entangled looks like they're just a publishing house. Can anyone weigh in on pros & cons for submitting to them? I want to see my book in print, but I don't want to skip the agent part of the process. And I don't want my book to be only available electronically either. 

Has anyone published a book with them? Are there hidden fees, etc that a writer considering them should be aware of? 

Thank you for taking the time to read this & have a great day!

Sherry

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:43 AM

Entangled is totally legit. They won't charge you anything, as far as I know. Also, they do some print + digital releases. I think it depends on the book, genre, etc. whether they release in digital only, digital first with print-on-demand, or digital AND print at the same time.

They are a publishing house, of course, so you would be skipping over the agent aspect of things.

Disclaimer: I haven't worked with them, so I don't have any detailed info., but I know some people who have been published by them.

#3 Selene Bell

Selene Bell

Still feels like a new member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Working on that! None yet. I'm a copy editor at a medium-sized daily newspaper.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:56 PM

I think if you're committed to the agent route, do that first, and if it doesn't work out, submit to Entangled. There's not really a time limit on Twitter pitch-contest requests, in my opinion. And I'll second Vicki -- everything I've heard is they're totally legit.

P.S. I've bought some of their books off Amazon!

Confessions of a Binge Reader -- www.selene-bell.com -- for query tips, book recommendations and other interesting minutia

@selene_bell

#4 Sherry1781

Sherry1781

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:33 PM

Thank you both!!

#5 BCVail

BCVail

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:44 PM

If you have a Publisher's Marketplace account (which I couldn't live without now for several things they offer) you can see listed sales to Entangled - some from agents, some directly from authors, sometimes they include a price range the book sold for, etc. It's a great tool for gauging the legitimacy of a publisher (or agent).

#6 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:47 AM

I haven't signed with them, but I recently queried Kate Brauning, one of their editors, and she was wonderful even in her rejection to my full.

She was very complimentary about my writing and the love story in it, but was also helpful with advice on why she didn't my feel manuscript would suit Entangled Teen's more commercial brand. She was efficient, friendly, and seemed great to work with.

Entangled is definitely legit. I'd love to publish a book with them someday.

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

#7 Lori Sjoberg

Lori Sjoberg

Resident pain in the rear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:GRAVE INTENTIONS, GRAVE DESTINATIONS, and GRAVE VENGEANCE are now available from Kensington Publishing.

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:25 PM

Entangled is legit. They also do print publishing through their partnership with MacMillan. Judging from the feedback I've heard from Entangled authors, they're one of the sharpest digital publishers around. 

#8 Sherry1781

Sherry1781

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:02 PM

I haven't signed with them, but I recently queried Kate Brauning, one of their editors, and she was wonderful even in her rejection to my full.

She was very complimentary about my writing and the love story in it, but was also helpful with advice on why she didn't my feel manuscript would suit Entangled Teen's more commercial brand. She was efficient, friendly, and seemed great to work with.

Entangled is definitely legit. I'd love to publish a book with them someday.

How long did it take for you to get your response from them? I finally decided to submit to them and I'm happy to hear you received some feedback on your MS!! 

#9 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:40 PM

How long did it take for you to get your response from them? I finally decided to submit to them and I'm happy to hear you received some feedback on your MS!! 

It didn't take that long! I think it was a little over a month :)

follow me on Twitter

#10 Sherry1781

Sherry1781

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:28 AM

It didn't take that long! I think it was a little over a month :)

It's been about a month for me, so maybe I will hear soon as well :)

#11 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

Fingers crossed you will!

follow me on Twitter

#12 Anna.k

Anna.k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Working on it!

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

I've also just submitted to them via #pitmad.

Upon further research, they seem legit, with double royalty rates of the big 5 publishers. That being said, they are more of a 'hybird' publishing house, which means they offer little to no advances, and the focus is on working together with your editing/marketing team (who are generally not salaried, and may be more 'motivated' to garner faster results/sales).

So it looks like they do offer a more entrepreneurial side of publishing--wedged somewhere between self-publishing and traditional publishing. I was enlightened stumbling on this Forbes article, check it out:

http://www.forbes.co...ate-to-succeed/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users