Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:23 PM

Hey thriller lovers!

I'm working on structuring my book, and I'd like to read a few books that might have similar structures to see how/if it's done successfully.

The structure jumps back and forth in time between the dangerous situation (for example, in my book--two women being held hostage by an unnamed man) and the lead up to it (starting about two weeks prior). 

Does anyone know of any books that do something at all similar?

#2 jr9701

jr9701

I like pickles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:12 PM

You're really not giving enough details. When it comes to structure, you kinda have to  follow a formula even if it does jump back and forth in time. I'd start by picking up a book on the 8 point arc or something like that.

#3 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:17 AM

The 8 point arc, as I understand it, is pretty linear. 

It's a common structure in scriptwriting, what I'm thinking of, especially in crime shows and action movies--first you see the characters in a clearly dangerous situation, and then there's a long flashback that shows how they got there. It's a somewhat particular form of in medias res. The reason I'm looking for book recommendations is that while I can think of cinematic examples, (Most episodes of Criminal Minds, for instance) I'm wary of applying that structure to a novel, as sometimes film story structures don't work on the prose page. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users