Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:52 PM

Hi all!

Does anyone have any info on them? I've been persuing their thread on AbsoluteWrite and was wondering if any of you have experience with them as well.

I queried them the other day and received a full request today. While I'm excited, I'm also a bit hesistant due to some of the things I've read about them on AbsoluteWrite.

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

#2 KimberlyFDR

KimberlyFDR

Published Author

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm published under a pseudonym in the LGBT genre, with a number of anthologies to my credit, as well as an upcoming novel, three novellas, and more anthology contributions. I'm working on getting agent representation / publisher acceptance in the paranormal fantasy genre as I write novels under my main name for that genre. Additionally, I'm a media reviewer for three blogs and have published reviews/articles/meta for those.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:07 PM

A member of my writing group had a book come out from them in April. Thus far, from what I've heard from her and seen in terms of marketing, they've been really great. I will probably be pitching to them for one of my books that doesn't fit into the genres of my regular publishers.

A full read doesn't mean you have to sign the contract. I'd send it and see what happens. If you get an offer and decide you want to go with someone else, or don't like the contract, you can always say no.

Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum. ~Graycie Harmon

I'm currently a staff writer for the Fandomania, Nerds in Babeland, SpoilerTV blogs, and formerly the ScienceFantasyUniverse blog. Check out all my articles on my site! You can also see me on Livejournal or Twitter!

#3 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:24 PM

Thanks, that's good advice! It's always helpful to hear about author's experiences with small presses.

follow me on Twitter

#4 spineofiron

spineofiron

Probably Drinking Coffee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:42 PM

There's a member on this site under the name jadah who signed with them and has a book forthcoming from them in April. :smile: She might be willing to give you her experience with them, too.

"I am a fire escape. My spine is made of iron, my heart pumps out old red paint."

-- Foster the People

#5 J.S. Hughes

J.S. Hughes

Mathemagican

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:41 AM

I know two people who have signed with them, and both have a good experience.

J.S. Hughes on: Twitter — FaceBookGoogle+
Handy alt codes: - hyphen – en (alt+0150) — em (alt+0151)

Commas are the great mystery of my life.

#6 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:50 PM

I wonder how their sales are.

follow me on Twitter

#7 BCVail

BCVail

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:36 PM

Following Publisher's Marketplace deals, I sometimes see some very reputable agents selling their clients work to Curiosity Quills. While I can't say this for sure, but I get the impression it is not the agents first choice of publishers they go to, but CQ is considered a viable outlet.

#8 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:45 AM

Following Publisher's Marketplace deals, I sometimes see some very reputable agents selling their clients work to Curiosity Quills. While I can't say this for sure, but I get the impression it is not the agents first choice of publishers they go to, but CQ is considered a viable outlet.

Good to know! Thanks :)

follow me on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users