#21 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Honestly, ever since KDP (amazon) allowed .doc's to be used, I haven't bothered with mobi or calibre. All I do is make sure I have no pg. numbers, no headers, no footers, make sure I used hard returns for new para's and then each time I need a new page for something (a new chapter, a new image, whatever...), I make sure to use NOT a page break, but rather a Next page type break. And that's it. Upload the .doc and I'm usually good to go. : )

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#22 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

What is a next page break? In the ,html file I used ctrl return to get a new page. Can I skip calibre, take my .html file and save it as a .doc file and go? I'm throwing terms around like I know what they mean. I don't. I'm feeling very much like a middle aged woman. :blink:
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#23 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

Okay, this formatting thing make me feel like a monkey. :humph: So I don't throw myself off a bridge, I'm just starting with mobi so I can upload to KDP. I followed Crew's step by step and converted the .html file using calibre. The body of the ebook looks good - paragraphs are right, the ~~~~~ between sections are centered. It's a novella, so I don't have a TOC. I did, however, add the cover image to the first page, the book blurb to the second and the copyright info, etc. to the third. I also wanted to put a look for more bit and author bio on the last page. The problem is I can't figure out how to make each of those things show up on a seperate page. They are perfect in the .html file, but when I do the conversion everything runs together. Any ideas? :unsure:

There are a number of ways to do this. One great tutorial can be found here:
http://guidohenkel.c...ook-formatting/

I think it's a good idea to use a clean HTML file for both epub and Kindle. Page breaks can be defined in the CSS section.
For example:

p.chapter
{
text-indent: 0em;
font-weight: bold;
font-size: 2em;
page-break-before: always;
margin-top:4em;
margin-bottom:1em;
}

Then use something like this in the actual HTML.
<p class="chapter">Chapter 1</p>

If you don;t want the style of chapter headings for your Bio, define another style but make sure you use the parameter
page-break-before: always;
(all devices will recognize this as a page break.)

You can use the clean HTML with with mobipocket creator. or calibre to create mobi or epub files that are likely to be good across a variety of devices. The tutorial explains the reasons in detail.

#24 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

Honestly, I never both with html. I just use the .doc I wrote the ms in.

As for the next page break, if you click on Page Layout, you'll see an icon for Breaks. Click on that, and it'll give you a variety of page breaks. You want the Next Page type break.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#25 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

Ha! Cross posted with Paul. : )

Or you can do what Paul said. lol. I'm html ignorant, so if I can just upload the doc with minimum playing around, that's what I do.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#26 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

See Paul, now you've gone sailing right past me. :blink: I looked at the Guido link before I started (from David Gaughran's book - very helpful btw) but I got myself twisted up. I went back to Crew's directions and took the word doc copied it to notepad to remove the hidden formatting then pasted it back into word and saved it as a filtered web page. I think I kind of understand the html stuff but I'm not sure where to put the codes. Do I just put them in my .html document in Word? If so, where does the change happen?

Cali, have you had any complaints about formatting on other devices? That's what I'm concerned about.

Thanks all for talking me through this.
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#27 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

The only complaints I had was before I found out that a page break and a next page break were different. I had been using the normal page break, and with B&N, it wasn't working to start me on a new page. Now that I'm using the next page break, I haven't had any problems that I'm aware of. The only other thing I do for smashwords is make sure that my spacing and indents are all set to zero (which can all be found under the page layout tab again). If there are problems with my books since I fixed the next page issue, then I'm not aware of them.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#28 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:04 AM

See Paul, now you've gone sailing right past me. :blink: I looked at the Guido link before I started (from David Gaughran's book - very helpful btw) but I got myself twisted up. I went back to Crew's directions and took the word doc copied it to notepad to remove the hidden formatting then pasted it back into word and saved it as a filtered web page. I think I kind of understand the html stuff but I'm not sure where to put the codes. Do I just put them in my .html document in Word? If so, where does the change happen?

Cali, have you had any complaints about formatting on other devices? That's what I'm concerned about.

Thanks all for talking me through this.

If you've cleaned up your Word doc and saved as filtered HTML that should work. I send Word HTML files to my Kindle almost every day for proofreading and never have a problem with page breaks. I think you are saying that you performed the steps in the Crew post but have no page breaks before the sections you added at the back of the book. You can try Cali's suggestion - if that still doesn't work, you may need to take a look at the resulting HTML file with a text editor. The problem is, that even in filtered HTML mode, Word’s output is bloated and hard to follow if you’re not familiar with CSS and HTML

Try and isolate the cause. If you have a Kindle, email the raw HTML file to your Kindle device or phone app and see if the page breaks work. If so, it may be something that’s happening in the Calibre or Mobipocket conversion.

And yes, David's book is very useful. That's were i found the Guido link. :smile:

#29 Spectrafi

Spectrafi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published with Amazon - The Land Of Draygehl Mah

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

I fixed the format issue and had it edited by someone besides myself lol. It looks so much better. But for the last month I've watched it disappear farther and farther into the amazon void. With only one reveiw and not a favorable one at that. I'm left feeling dejected. I did my best to take the criticism, and had the book edited. And yes its 100% better for it. But now I don't know what else to do. It's a great story that's got no readers.

#30 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

Get another title out there. A short story or novella works with self publishing, just price it accordingly. Everytime you put out a title, you have the potential to boost traffic to all your titles.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

#31 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

I fixed the format issue and had it edited by someone besides myself lol. It looks so much better. But for the last month I've watched it disappear farther and farther into the amazon void. With only one reveiw and not a favorable one at that. I'm left feeling dejected. I did my best to take the criticism, and had the book edited. And yes its 100% better for it. But now I don't know what else to do. It's a great story that's got no readers.

Do you use facebook? If you gift people your amazon book with the understanding that they are to review it, then you can get more reviews for it. (You can't give it to them for free, you have to pay for them to purchase it because Amazon doesn't allow them to post a review if their account didn't actually purchase the book.)

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users