Disclaimer

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Word Counts

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

Poll: In Range? A Word Count Poll (391 member(s) have cast votes)

What's the word count of the book you are currently pitching?

1. Right in the sweet spot (75-80k) (62 votes [15.86%])

Percentage of vote: 15.86%

2. Voted Upper end but not scary (80k-100k) (141 votes [36.06%])

Percentage of vote: 36.06%

3. Praying because I write historical fiction or fantasy I'll get away with it (101k - 125k) (55 votes [14.07%])

Percentage of vote: 14.07%

4. I like to push boundaries but I'lll be leaving the word count OUT of my query :) (125k-150k) (22 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

5. I am ENTIRELY delusional (150k-200k) (6 votes [1.53%])

Percentage of vote: 1.53%

6. There are PHONE BOOKS smaller than my tome (over 200k) (5 votes [1.28%])

Percentage of vote: 1.28%

7. novella anyone? (less than 60k) (16 votes [4.09%])

Percentage of vote: 4.09%

8. I am a little short of words but the ones I have are irresistable (60k to 75k) (50 votes [12.79%])

Percentage of vote: 12.79%

9. I write YA/Juvenile/Childrens so there is nothing wrong with 50k or less (34 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

I think the books coming out today are --

1. Voted Too short -- when I pay $20 bucks I want more than 200 bleeping pages (142 votes [36.32%])

Percentage of vote: 36.32%

2. Just right (229 votes [58.57%])

Percentage of vote: 58.57%

3. Too long -- this is the age of the 140 character Tweet, please folks! (20 votes [5.12%])

Percentage of vote: 5.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 dragoness

dragoness

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:43 AM

My historical fiction is 150K. It's the true story of Queen Berenice's life-long fight against the Roman abuse of the empire - and her success.

Should I leave the word-count out of the query?

Should I name the genre "epic historical fiction"?

#202 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:20 PM

You should definitely not leave the word count out.  150K is pushing for HF, but not completely unheard of. 

What makes it "epic" besides length?

#203 dragoness

dragoness

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:19 AM

Thank you!

I think it's epic because the manuscript describes Berenice's life-long struggle for justice, throughout the entire empire, including crowning several emperors and helping the rise of Christianity by helping to save Paul, Magdalene and John.

#204 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:28 PM

You should definitely not leave the word count out.  150K is pushing for HF, but not completely unheard of. 

What makes it "epic" besides length?

Going to disagree here. THE BEST ADVICE I EVER GOT WAS TO LEAVE THE WORD COUNT OUT! It was from a published author and I followed it. My query request rate skyrocketed to over 40%. I then proceeded to leave the word count OFF my partials. Nobody got to see how big that sucker was until they were hooked enough to ask for a full. And that approach got me my agent. Two novels later I have never been sorry I cheated.

FYI historical novels are shrinking. 150k really won't go these days but that doesn't mean you can't find an agent and get his/her input on cuts. Or even clip after selling the manuscript. I cut 20k off my last book AFTER i'd inked the deal with my publisher.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#205 dragoness

dragoness

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

Going to disagree here. THE BEST ADVICE I EVER GOT WAS TO LEAVE THE WORD COUNT OUT! It was from a published author and I followed it. My query request rate skyrocketed to over 40%. I then proceeded to leave the word count OFF my partials. Nobody got to see how big that sucker was until they were hooked enough to ask for a full. And that approach got me my agent. Two novels later I have never been sorry I cheated.

FYI historical novels are shrinking. 150k really won't go these days but that doesn't mean you can't find an agent and get his/her input on cuts. Or even clip after selling the manuscript. I cut 20k off my last book AFTER i'd inked the deal with my publisher.

Thanks!

I'll trim as much as I can, but probably I'll still have to try querying without the word count...

#206 JeffJustWrites

JeffJustWrites

Hal ethrimi! (Keep writing!)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Seeking agent for a New Adult epistolary dark fantasy/horror novel.

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

My current novel I'm pitching, a New Adult epistolary gothic romance with werewolves, black magick, and Jack the Ripper, is around 92k words and change. With illustrations.

What say you?

My Perpetually Metamorphosing Query

At vahrai u ihlókéon. At u Atavithion. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users