Disclaimer

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Word Counts

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

Poll: In Range? A Word Count Poll (391 member(s) have cast votes)

What's the word count of the book you are currently pitching?

1. Right in the sweet spot (75-80k) (62 votes [15.86%])

Percentage of vote: 15.86%

2. Voted Upper end but not scary (80k-100k) (141 votes [36.06%])

Percentage of vote: 36.06%

3. Praying because I write historical fiction or fantasy I'll get away with it (101k - 125k) (55 votes [14.07%])

Percentage of vote: 14.07%

4. I like to push boundaries but I'lll be leaving the word count OUT of my query :) (125k-150k) (22 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

5. I am ENTIRELY delusional (150k-200k) (6 votes [1.53%])

Percentage of vote: 1.53%

6. There are PHONE BOOKS smaller than my tome (over 200k) (5 votes [1.28%])

Percentage of vote: 1.28%

7. novella anyone? (less than 60k) (16 votes [4.09%])

Percentage of vote: 4.09%

8. I am a little short of words but the ones I have are irresistable (60k to 75k) (50 votes [12.79%])

Percentage of vote: 12.79%

9. I write YA/Juvenile/Childrens so there is nothing wrong with 50k or less (34 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

I think the books coming out today are --

1. Voted Too short -- when I pay $20 bucks I want more than 200 bleeping pages (142 votes [36.32%])

Percentage of vote: 36.32%

2. Just right (229 votes [58.57%])

Percentage of vote: 58.57%

3. Too long -- this is the age of the 140 character Tweet, please folks! (20 votes [5.12%])

Percentage of vote: 5.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:47 PM

My choice isn't available on this poll. I have a 43K MG book - which is in the sweet spot for that age group. At least, that's what my agent asked for.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#42 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:21 AM

RS -- You YA writers need your own poll :) After all you live in your own world (and lucky you it is a world where things are still selling)
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#43 Derrick

Derrick

Giver of Rocky-themed Pep Talks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:11 AM

My choice isn't available on this poll. I have a 43K MG book - which is in the sweet spot for that age group. At least, that's what my agent asked for.

Same here. I just selected novella. I hope I didn't throw off the stats.

#44 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

Attention all you YA sort who voted novella -- I have heeded your call for accuracy and added a new choice to the poll. All you have to do is change your votes. Sorry for leaving a whole genre out by accident :)

#45 Derrick

Derrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

Attention all you YA sort who voted novella -- I have heeded your call for accuracy and added a new choice to the poll. All you have to do is change your votes. Sorry for leaving a whole genre out by accident :)

haha, there were only two of us who selected Novella. I fixed my vote.

Although, technically, I write MG not YA. There is a difference you know.

#46 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

haha, there were only two of us who selected Novella. I fixed my vote.

Although, technically, I write MG not YA. There is a difference you know.

Okay Mr. Difficult. Fixed it again. Happy?

#47 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

Actually, I just write, then other people tell me what genre age group it is. :) I'm told my current one is MG Science Fiction Fantasy.

And, yes, I'm happy to vote.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#48 Derrick

Derrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:21 PM

Okay Mr. Difficult. Fixed it again. Happy?

Now, all is right with the world...

#49 redwood

redwood

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

Whoo Hoo! Jiggety Jigg!

I just read this on Janet Reid's Query Shark blog:

"120K is not a problem for an adult historical novel. Not at all."

Celebrating vociferously!
“There’s no such thing as tough. There’s trained, and there’s untrained. Now which one are you?”
The Year-god's Daughter, book one in The Child of the Erinyes Series, will be published in November, 2011

#50 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:30 AM

Whoo Hoo! Jiggety Jigg!

I just read this on Janet Reid's Query Shark blog:

"120K is not a problem for an adult historical novel. Not at all."

Celebrating vociferously!

You and me BOTH darling. You and me BOTH. Turing my wip over to my agent this week and it is not small.

#51 RobbG

RobbG

Veteran Member and Nirvana fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:In August 2012, I signed with Evolved Publishing. My novel HANNAH'S VOICE will debut January 15, 2013. Plans are for two more novels to publish in 2013/early 2014.

To support my writing habit, I am a freelance book editor. If you're looking for an editor for your manuscript before querying agents, publishers, or self-publishing, browse my website and 'Ask the Editor' blog for more information.

I've written several articles on the craft of fiction that have been published on writer websites, and have had about a dozen short stories published in various anthologies, print magazines, and e-zines. My horror short story 'Desert Rain' was awarded 'Best of' by Horror Bound magazine in 2012, selected among the 10 best stories ever published by the magazine. I also self-published a short collection of three short stories, SONORAN DREAMS: Three Stories From Exile, which includes 'Desert Rain' plus two more (non-horror) stories.

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

I blame video games and the habit of instant gratification.

I found some of the posts on this thread too long to bother reading. :blush:

#52 RobbG

RobbG

Veteran Member and Nirvana fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:In August 2012, I signed with Evolved Publishing. My novel HANNAH'S VOICE will debut January 15, 2013. Plans are for two more novels to publish in 2013/early 2014.

To support my writing habit, I am a freelance book editor. If you're looking for an editor for your manuscript before querying agents, publishers, or self-publishing, browse my website and 'Ask the Editor' blog for more information.

I've written several articles on the craft of fiction that have been published on writer websites, and have had about a dozen short stories published in various anthologies, print magazines, and e-zines. My horror short story 'Desert Rain' was awarded 'Best of' by Horror Bound magazine in 2012, selected among the 10 best stories ever published by the magazine. I also self-published a short collection of three short stories, SONORAN DREAMS: Three Stories From Exile, which includes 'Desert Rain' plus two more (non-horror) stories.

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:10 PM

My first novel first draft (the one I'm pitching but believe now it was my practice novel) was 105,000 words (commercial/women's fiction). I edited that down somewhat tighter, killed a couple unnecessary scenes and some back story, but then added a couple new scenes that were important to show rather than skip (closing the bedroom door, waking up the next morning sort of thing). So the revision came in at 116,000 words. Yup, it grew. That was too long. More edits, tightening, a couple more revisions later, it's down to 104,000. I round that down to the nearest 5,000 and say it's 100,000 in my query letter.

My current WIP I've targeted for 80-85,000 (also commercial/women's/literary - somewhere in that genre mix).

I'm one who edits constantly as I go on the first draft, so by the time I finish the first draft, it's very clean and fairly tight. But that means it takes me a lot longer to finish a first draft. I keep telling myself to just vomit the story onto the page since it's all in my head anyway, and get on to the editing - and I enjoy editing - but I just can't write that way. I know that works well for many, who can crank out a first draft in a month or two or three, then edit for 6 months to a year. I can write for a year, then edit it in a few weeks.

#53 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

I take forever to finish.

#54 redwood

redwood

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

I take forever to finish.

Now that I know you're "Matt" and not "Mrs Sinclair," the entire meaning of your reply is transformed! :biggrin:
“There’s no such thing as tough. There’s trained, and there’s untrained. Now which one are you?”
The Year-god's Daughter, book one in The Child of the Erinyes Series, will be published in November, 2011

#55 Derrick

Derrick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:55 PM

I found some of the posts on this thread too long to bother reading. :blush:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

#56 S.K. Keogh

S.K. Keogh

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut historical novel, THE PRODIGAL, was published in 2012 by Fireship Press. My second novel, THE ALLIANCE, was released in Dec 2013. Currently I am querying agents with another historical novel.

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:25 PM

The novel I am currently marketing was purposefully written to be "short" (89,000). I figure it'll cost a publisher less to print if they are willing to take on a first-timer. :laugh:

My current WIP, on the other hand, is 153,000.

Long sentences. Hmm, I often write them and I find that some of my favorite authors write them (Pat O'Brian, Bruce Catton).

SKKeogh.com

http://www.facebook.com/S.K.Keogh

Click to purchase your copy or to read free samples
Photobucket.jpg19279504.jpgSmallCover_zpsa4ea36fe.jpg

#57 layinda

layinda

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

Just saw this online:
http://www.darcypatt...-thisy-mistake/
Nice overview of word count for various genres.

#58 normaj

normaj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Column for Fairfield Bays News, Children's musical

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

interesting.

#59 Litgal

Litgal

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

Poll Update: With a WHOPPING 50 votes cast an impressive 56% of you manage to keep your manuscripts 100k words or less! I bow to you all, with your impressive self-control as I, your poll creator, tend to run beyond that. As for current books, 52% of you have no complaint about their length. So at least here at AQConnect the decision of publishers on word count limits is not causing that much consternation. Vote on! vote on.

#60 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

As a writer of several genres that tend to run longer, I've hit my target each time. The novel I'm currently querying is Epic Fantasy which has one of the highest word counts I have found (with some exceptions by authors such as James Clavell and James Michener). All the big names, such as Tolkien, wrote books that fall in the delusional category or longer. Even first time authors (including one from 2010). Carol Berg, one of my favorites currently in print, got her start in 2001 with a 165k tome. First of a trilogy and the other two were even longer.

I'm glad that most genre's are under 100k because I have a story to rewrite and I'm not sure I could get it over 80k. That is next on my list.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users