• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

Informative article with Patrick Brown, community manager over at GoodReads.com

http://ht.ly/4mjvI

In terms of self-promotion for authors, he has this to say:

Q&Q: What are some of the more successful or popular ways that publishers, authors, booksellers, and libraries are using the site?

Patrick Brown: Giveaways are probably our most popular promotional tool. Our users love them, and publishers get their books into the hands of readers, who in turn review the books and help generate buzz around the titles.

We also offer a lot of opportunities for authors to interact with readers, and many publishers have encouraged their authors to take an active role on the site — claiming their profiles, reviewing books, syncing their blogs, and participating in featured author groups and live video chats. In terms of bookstores and libraries, we allow our users to customize the links on their book pages to take them to the bookstore or library of their choice. Additionally, quite a few libraries and schools have begun using Goodreads discussion groups to track their summer reading programs or just to provide a discussion board for their patrons.

AQC Question: How many of you are currently on GoodReads.com and how are you using it?

#2 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

I'm on Goodreads and I use it fairly frequently now that I started blogging. I use their Widget on my blog and have connected with a few authors over there for blog interviews and such. I like it, but I haven't done a lot of self promotion over there or anything yet.

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

#3 Clippership

Clippership

Speculative Fiction Group Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I write science-fantasy, YA, and historical fiction. I've published non-fiction in magazines and my first novel was released in Sept. 2014.

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

I love Goodreads! It's a great place to keep tabs on what I've read and what I want to read. Their monthly newsletter is fantastic too (and a huge help when it comes to posting new books in the Book Banter forum.) I've been able to connect to some of my favorite authors to follow their blogs as well.

#4 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

Oooooerrrrr....Posted Image
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#5 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

When I review a book on my blog I copy the review into Goodreads. Otherwise I haven't done too much. It looks like a great resource when the time is right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users